Second Life viewer doesn't run on Windows 10

8Viatrix8

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2103 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello everyone,

I just bought a laptop on Windows 10, Acer Aspire VX5-591G, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz  2.80Ghz, 16.0 GB, 64-bit.

I have no experience with Windows 10, I play Second Life (still) with my windows7. I thought of buying a new laptop might make my SL game better.

I already downloaded Second Life several times but I am receiving a message something about Firefox, or if I left click or right click the download arrow on the upper right of the monitor, it is asking me to download an app which I have no idea which to click from all those options, which I have no idea what they are for.

I am not a computer savvy. I bought this mainly for Second Life and was very excited to finally play on this new laptop. But now, I am just disappointed, scared and angry.

Your help will be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Ps. I also now discovered that. same as SL Download, Adobe also, just up to the download process, but no option to "Save" :((, meaning I also can't play the games that I play on Facebook.

Edited by 8Viatrix8

5 answers to this question

There are some different ways to get into SL. Chic is giving you the BEST basic way. When you download and install the viewer it will make minor changes to your Win-10. THen the alternate ways to get into SL will likely work.

If you have not installed the SL viewer and you use an alternate away in by clicking on the website Destination Guide's Visit Here button or any SLURL (unique URL's directing one to regions in SL), Windows (any version) will launch an Internet Browser, e.g., Firefox, Chrome, Edge, something, and try to get you to download and install a viewer. I think this is where you are having problems. So, use Chic's advice.

Whenever you are using the Internet your computer and some server somewhere are talking. Your Internet Browser knows how to speak several 'computer languages', which are called protocols. The browsers do NOT know how to speak the 'protocol' used by the SL servers. We use a specialized 'viewer' to see the virtual world the SL servers are telling our computers how to draw.

If your computer has not been taught how to speak the SL Protocol (by installing a viewer) it is as confused as you when someone speaks to you in a language you don't know.

The i7-7700HQ is capable of displaying SL. The 'H' denotes it is a CPU with additional graphics capability. Thus a better gaming machine, but NOT a 'good' gaming machine. CPU graphics is mostly designed for streaming video. 

HOWEVER, it should not matter as the machine's specs advertise the unit as having an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti  chip. BUT, you have to setup a game spec in the NVIDIA control panel so the laptop knows to use the graphics card with the SL viewer. Otherwise, the laptop is very likely to use the CPU graphics, which suck - relatively, in an attempt to save power. The instructions for doing that setup are here: http://blog.nalates.net/2016/06/05/nvidia-settings-2016/

Edited by Nalates Urriah
clarify
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, 8Viatrix8 said:

Hello everyone,

I just bought a laptop on Windows 10, Acer Aspire VX5-591G, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz  2.80Ghz, 16.0 GB, 64-bit.

I have no experience with Windows 10, I play Second Life (still) with my windows7. I thought of buying a new laptop might make my SL game better.

I already downloaded Second Life several times but I am receiving a message something about Firefox, or if I left click or right click the download arrow on the upper right of the monitor, it is asking me to download an app which I have no idea which to click from all those options, which I have no idea what they are for.

I am not a computer savvy. I bought this mainly for Second Life and was very excited to finally play on this new laptop. But now, I am just disappointed, scared and angry.

Your help will be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Ps. I also now discovered that. same as SL Download, Adobe also, just up to the download process, but no option to "Save" :((, meaning I also can't play the games that I play on Facebook.

Go to this page: https://secondlife.com/support/downloads/

Hit the BIG ORANGE BUTTON.  Install the program. 

If you get an error message, write it down and put it back in this thread.  You MAY need to use Chrome or the Win10 Edge.  I had to give up on Firefox because so many things just didn't work in there. The folks making the web pages aren't supporting Firefox it seems. 

image.png.a01c5ad4f8b94c0d3ab5901546a681b7.png

Edited by Chic Aeon
bad pasting in - adding info
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, 8Viatrix8 said:

I also now discovered that. same as SL Download, Adobe also, just up to the download process, but no option to "Save" :((, meaning I also can't play the games that I play on Facebook.

It sounds like you are having trouble learning how Windows 10 works.  It's not at all like Win 7, so things are not where you expect them to be.  In any case, the messages you are getting don't seem to be coming from downloading the SL viewer.  They appear to be Firefox messages unrelated to SL.  Linden Lab and Firestorm don't ask you to download any "apps."

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2103 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.