Gopi Passiflora

Is "roleplaying" in non-RP areas really that bad?

On 7/20/2018 at 1:21 AM, Klytyna said:

...because "it's what his private investigator character would do for damsels in distress"...

I'm a tabletop gamer, and the entire community openly mocks this kind of answer. People who do this are the worst kind of player because this defense always comes after them doing something non-conducive to play. It is always a defense for being a *****ty player and is never tolerated.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

I'm a tabletop gamer, and the entire community openly mocks this kind of answer. People who do this are the worst kind of player because this defense always comes after them doing something non-conducive to play. It is always a defense for being a *****ty player and is never tolerated.

While it is a bad bad necropost (brace yourself for some "shame on you" postings popping up soon ;) ), thanks for binging this up, @HarrisonMcKenzie

Sadly one of the reasons that made me stop those games. Method acting trolls were never shunned in my RPG community but praised for their ability to portray idiotic character designs - so I left. Now that you mention it, I guess that is also why child avatars are hated so much - "but I have to behave like this - I am a kid" falls into the same trolling scheme (disrupting the experience of others with the excuse of "staying in character") and falls back on the whole child avatar community as a whole (same goes with hypersexual furrys and all other stereotype abusing character designs).

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

While it is a bad bad necropost (brace yourself for some "shame on you" postings popping up soon ;) ), thanks for binging this up, @HarrisonMcKenzie

Sadly one of the reasons that made me stop those games. Method acting trolls were never shunned in my RPG community but praised for their ability to portray idiotic character designs - so I left. Now that you mention it, I guess that is also why child avatars are hated so much - "but I have to behave like this - I am a kid" falls into the same trolling scheme (disrupting the experience of others with the excuse of "staying in character") and falls back on the whole child avatar community as a whole (same goes with hypersexual furrys and all other stereotype abusing character designs).

I play a child avatar, but I am careful not to be annoying. I think there's a big difference between being a baby and being a child. Baby's tend to do that forceful trollplaying and do things like baby talk, while child (school aged to teen) avatars are a lot more respectful and high-functioning. I do stay in character, but it's me responding in the way a child might, rather than me using childhood as an excuse.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2018 at 12:21 PM, Klytyna said:

/me walks over and grabs your arm, and starts dragging you away towards the portal to the Mining Camp...

/me pulls small handgun out of purse and shoots him in the head

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Talligurl said:

/me pulls small handgun out of purse and shoots him in the head

To be honest, in addition to displayng my command of anglo-saxon invective... I may have...

I may have shot him repeatedly with a Squid-Launcher...

Totally in character, of course... ;) 

• Like 3

The whole “Nuh uh! My character would totally do X uncharacteristic thing (and succeed)” is why I’ve been wondering why dice rolling rp hasn’t really caught on in SL.

Theres nothing wrong with freeform RP. But to me there’s always going to come a point where another character just isn’t going to allow something or there is just going to be an attempt at doing something dubious.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2018 at 11:55 PM, Gopi Passiflora said:

I have some avatars which I use to present different kinds of characters, just as a joke in social places that aren't RP areas. I just want to see how people react to the characters. The reactions can be amusing. However I've heard that it might not be a good thing to roleplay in such places.

I'm curious what you guys think about this.

There was a time when, if you were annoying enough, other residents may mistake you for a Griefer.

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Not sure if Squidbillies or Splatoon reference?

Neither... It's a "scripted SL projectile weapon that fires bouncy rubber squid that emit clouds of particle based ink every time they hit (and bounce off) something, and which are RLV enabled to strip avatars with auto-relays" reference...

Squid-Launcher... The clue is in the name!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/19/2018 at 6:14 PM, Gopi Passiflora said:

I guess I should detail what I used to do to clear up any confusion:

-I teleport to a safe hub like Ungren.
-I introduce myself and say, either by typing or voice, that I'm on a diplomatic mission or whatever the character is doing.
-I see how people respond or play along.
-I then continue my character for a bit before saying that I have to leave or something.
That's usually how it goes. I don't target anyone in particular, I just see who plays along and act accordingly.

This seems pretty much OK from my POV. You're withdrawing from anyone who's not interested and you don't outstay your welcome.

I can see that some people would see it as trolling or griefing, and it could certainly lead to you getting ejected form some places. You'd not likely be ejected from a safe hub unless you're breaking the TOS. If I met you, I'd probably play along for a little while. 

RP in this sort of situation is not acceptable to most people if your avatar's appearance uses racist or sexist stereotypes, or if you are using your avatar to poke fun at a particular group of people. It can also be problematic if you're using particle effects or audible gestures (these two will get you kicked out of my club, for example, but role-playing in local chat would not).

I have a number of RP alts, including a teen boy, an elf, and a very dapper black man straight out of a 1940s Film Noir movie, who occasionally tends bar at my club. I do occasionally take these avatars out to non-RP areas, but I don't exactly roleplay there. What I do instead is react to conversation in local chat exactly as that character would act. I certainly don't bring out their backstories in non-RP places.

Edited by Lewis Luminos

On 10/11/2018 at 4:12 PM, janetosilio said:

The whole “Nuh uh! My character would totally do X uncharacteristic thing (and succeed)” is why I’ve been wondering why dice rolling rp hasn’t really caught on in SL.

Theres nothing wrong with freeform RP. But to me there’s always going to come a point where another character just isn’t going to allow something or there is just going to be an attempt at doing something dubious.

I think it may be partly to do with the fact that most people aren't really roleplaying for plot development - they are roleplaying for wish fulfilment and as such are playing themselves, whatever the character or setting. It's the biggest cause of RP drama, in my opinion. Two people trying to act out their own fantasies but they aren't compatible and thus drama ensures. Since they're mostly playing themselves, they also have a personal investment in it that contributes to the high emotions.

Dice rolling allows a random element that a lot of RPers don't want, because they have a very specific outcome in mind, for the aforementioned reasons.

I'm an experienced RPer and have done a lot of RP combat. If the other RPers are also experienced and understand it, RP combat can work very well. If you understand your character's strengths, weaknesses and limits and RP accordingly, you usually get a realistic outcome. 

• Like 2

On the main topic: I wouldn't say it's a bad thing, then again I hold the viewpoint that unless your avatar looks exactly like you, you're playing a role of some sort - even if such is not your intent. ETA: Yes, there are some exceptions to this - various forms of body dysphoria for example - but those are special cases.

On the semi-derail: There is a reason I tend to play more or less metaphysical type characters these days - actually I was ding so back in purely text based environments too. That reason? I'm not interested in any form of Combat - at all.

Ooh hey, great skillz there Tex! Guess what, all you've managed to do is break a "shell" containing some energy and the consciousness of something from a whole different Plane! He'll have another one ready to go in about two days and if he's feeling like being a bit of a troll, he'll make sure it's almost identical to the one you just broke.

Nothing infuriates the Combat junkies more than seeing someone/something they swear they "killed" two days ago wandering around again.

Bit of a *****ish move? Sure - I really do not like the types that push their kill centered fantasies on others.

The character I tend to use for Second Life RP exists to examine the world, meet people and have a good time here and there. Sure, conflict happens. There's a big difference between that and KillYouAllMcGee showing up to get their gore filled jollies.

ETA 2: Before someone chimes in with the usual, tired responses - see my edit above concerning Dysphoria if that is your issue with what I have posted.

If you have one of the usual "issues" with this point of view however: Tough. You can put as much of yourself as you want to behind your avatar and it really doesn't change much. Do I always use the character I created explicitly for Role Play when interacting with others? Nope!

Here's the thing though: I at least try and differentiate when actually playing the role. Thing of it is this: Short of painstakingly reproducing each outward (physical/visual) bit of myself within Second Life, it is my personality behind an Avatar. An Avatar is not the actual person/being. Not at all. At best it is an idealized representation or a stand-in.

There is a difference between the avatar and the person behind it.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 2

On 12/9/2018 at 5:47 AM, Solar Legion said:

Nothing infuriates the Combat junkies more than seeing someone/something they swear they "killed" two days ago wandering around again.

Bit of a *****ish move? Sure - I really do not like the types that push their kill centered fantasies on others.

Not just the combat junkies, but the snuff/eoa/dolcett and vore players too. 

"I ate you, you are my belly pudge until I reform you, you can't come back to this sim or speak in this group or I will have you ejected and banned for cheating." "I perma vored/snuffed you and now you are not allowed to be here unless I say its ok."

Yes, I have actually seen that said in a group chat before...

38 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

"I perma vored/snuffed you and now you are not allowed to be here unless I say its ok."

I never considered the benefits of vore in this new light.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

8 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

I never considered the benefits of vore in this new light.

some will even demand the other use not use their account anymore and have to create a new account because that account is now considered dead. Or they will demand that you do not ever use the same avatar again in that sim or region or any sim or region because that avatar is now dead permanently. if you agreed to be so-called 'perma' vored/snuffed that account/username is now dead and not to be used anymore by you or you are cheating. Some even go as far as trying to demand the other user give up access to that account so they cannot login to it anymore.  But I think I have derailed this thread far enough with this, so will leave it that.