Gopi Passiflora

Is "roleplaying" in non-RP areas really that bad?

What on Earth is wrong with all of you? There's no place, and no time, that role-play is acceptable. Do you know how confusing life would be if I had to seriously entertain the idea that Wonder Woman is actually an Israeli actress, and would not come to my aid if I feigned helplessness? Or that the M&M's I'm eating at the moment are not living creatures who think they're being dropped into a warm, damp cave to save 13 stranded brethren?

How can I anchor myself in a reality that is the result of everyone else's fantasy play?

I am sooooo peeved by all of this that I could just...

...set you all on fire.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

30 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I am sooooo peeved by all of this that I could just...

...set you all on fire.

2 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I guess I should detail what I used to do to clear up any confusion:

-I teleport to a safe hub like Ungren.

-I introduce myself and say, either by typing or voice, that I'm on a diplomatic mission or whatever the character is doing.

-I see how people respond or play along.

-I then continue my character for a bit before saying that I have to leave or something.

That's usually how it goes. I don't target anyone in particular, I just see who plays along and act accordingly.

But if this is frowned upon, I won't do it anymore.

If this is all you are doing and you don't push anyone that does not want to play along, I see nothing wrong with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey, rp all you want as long as you don't go into the realms of r/creepyasterisks. (check that out by the way for an amusing read)

4 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

What on Earth is wrong with all of you? There's no place, and no time, that role-play is acceptable. Do you know how confusing life would be if I had to seriously entertain the idea that Wonder Woman is actually an Israeli actress, and would not come to my aid if I feigned helplessness? Or that the M&M's I'm eating at the moment are not living creatures who think they're being dropped into a warm, damp cave to save 13 stranded brethren?

Nobody said it was all role play, Madelaine. I don't think there's anything wrong with a bit of innocent make-believe fun. This guy who is role playing as president of the United States these days for example. It makes him happy and there's no harm in it, is it?

But you have a very important point: there have to be some firm limits and people sometimes take it way too far. Such as... this may be a bit shocking for some of you but I do know of semingly well functioning families where the father in the house has a habit of impersonating Santa Claus every christmas. Imagine how confusing that is for the children, especially if they see him doing yucky grownup things with their mum.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

That's usually how it goes. I don't target anyone in particular, I just see who plays along and act accordingly.

This seems pretty harmless overall, especially if you are respectful of their responses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

-I teleport to a safe hub like Ungren.
-I introduce myself and say, either by typing or voice, that I'm on a diplomatic mission or whatever the character is doing.
-I see how people respond or play along.
-I then continue my character for a bit before saying that I have to leave or something.

There will be all sorts of conversations going on in local at these sorts of public spaces and anyone there will be choosing which to enter into and which to ignore. The way I see it, you're adding a different vein of conversation to that mix. I'd much rather run into a bit of creativity like you describe than the usual griefing or general complaining.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

For me it would depend on how I felt when I encountered it. Honestly, I’d most likely ignore it.

Thats the thing with unsolicited RP; you’re taking a big risk when you approach someone. It’s creative, but it walks a fine line between having fun with people and trolling. It’s very hard to know when someone is trolling. In fact a good troll isn’t really clear that they’re trolling. Then suddenly leaving sounds like a troll. Thank them for RPing with you at the end. 

It’s fun, but everybody might not see it that way.

Edited by janetosilio

4 hours ago, janetosilio said:

It’s creative, but it walks a fine line between having fun with people and trolling. It’s very hard to know when someone is trolling. In fact a good troll isn’t really clear that they’re trolling. Then suddenly leaving sounds like a troll. Thank them for RPing with you at the end.

If you can't tell if you were trolled, was it really trolling?

The point of it is to get people upset and keep it going for as long as possible. Just because they suddenly leave doesn't mean anything.

Edit; Bitsy put it way better than I did.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

The point of it is to get people upset and keep it going for as long as possible. Just because they suddenly leave doesn't mean anything.

It could be. We differ slightly on the definition of trolling, because to me it means to keep someone going (could be with anger, it doesn’t have to be though) for as long as possible. Also, it’s for the trolls amusement. Which sounds like the reason the OP is doing it.

That’s my point though. By suddenly leaving it could leave someone feeling like “Was I just trolled?” It sounds like the OP just gets bored and moves on from what they said. Some trolls do just that, mess around for a little while then move on. That’s why I said it’s a fine line between what they’re doing and trolling.

Edited by janetosilio

anytime anyone says or does anything someone dislikes or disagrees with the response is usually "oh that is just a troll"

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

anytime anyone says or does anything someone dislikes or disagrees with the response is usually "oh that is just a troll"

That's not been my experience.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Usually, that's a clear "yes", because a lot of attempts are so blatantly obvious and lame and boring and lacking any creativity beyond being annoying, due to certain deficits in the troll's own nature. ¬¬

Anyway... my impression here is that the OP can be happy to get noticed at all, based on the described scenario.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, janetosilio said:

It could be. We differ slightly on the definition of trolling, because to me it means to keep someone going (could be with anger, it doesn’t have to be though) for as long as possible. Also, it’s for the trolls amusement. Which sounds like the reason the OP is doing it.

That’s my point though. By suddenly leaving it could leave someone feeling like “Was I just trolled?” It sounds like the OP just gets bored and moves on from what they said. Some trolls do just that, mess around for a little while then move on. That’s why I said it’s a fine line between what they’re doing and trolling.

Most of what we do in SL is for our own amusement in one way or another. The difference with a true troll though, is that the amusement is designed to come at the expense of the target.

From what the OP has described of her manner of play, it feels more like an invitation than something invasive. I also didn't read it as leaving suddenly, more like she doesn't over stay her welcome.

(At the expense of the target feels to me like an important aspect of this more broadly, and may explain why some of us have less patience for things like Gorean misogyny in a mainstream sim than someone playing a comedic character who invites us to laugh along.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, janetosilio said:

It’s really as simple as the op is doing some things in there that are a little trolly, to me.

he's just starting a convo in local, participation optional, i'd prefer that to the dead silence so prevalent in most places

Edited by Phorumities
fixed stuff
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

Most of what we do in SL is for our own amusement in one way or another. The difference with a true troll though, is that the amusement is designed to come at the expense of the target.

From what the OP has described of her manner of play, it feels more like an invitation than something invasive. I also didn't read it as leaving suddenly, more like she doesn't over stay her welcome.

(At the expense of the target feels to me like an important aspect of this more broadly, and may explain why some of us have less patience for things like Gorean misogyny in a mainstream sim than someone playing a comedic character who invites us to laugh along.)

Yes, I get all of that. What I’m pointing out though, is that without explanation it could be seen as someone trolling.

It really depends.  For example, in Caledon (a Victorian Steampunk themed estate) a lot of people are at least mildly roleplaying all the time.  I've met military officers, nobility, and Mad Scientists, ladies of the evening, and many others.

One of my friends roleplays the hard-bitten Chicago private investigator/wizard Harry Dresden, from the "Dresden Files" books by Jim Butcher.  Harry is one of my favorite fictional characters, and when he comes around Caledon Oxbridge, I am happy to go along with SL Harry's RP.  On the other hand, one of the other staff members has not read the books, and treats Harry as a griefer whenever he lets off a (harmless) magic spell effect.

You could get laughter and applause, or you could get ejected and banned.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I am happy to go along with SL Harry's RP.  On the other hand, one of the other staff members has not read the books, and treats Harry as a griefer whenever he lets off a (harmless) magic spell effect.

You could get laughter and applause, or you could get ejected and banned.

See, "casting spells" (assuming at least particle effects) can be pretty annoying/disruptive, increasing with the size/duration/amount.

If it was purely text-based, no moderator should bat an eye unless the intended effect was something inappropriate (seen as offensive/harassing).

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

1: There's "personal posts" and then there's "IC roleplay". To begin with more often then not people post depending on their REAL emotions and feelings. Not a bad thing IMO. Quite good actually.

2: Does it matter if you're happy posting (or IC roleplaying) with someone and being yourself with them? If anyone looks down on you for it then I say sod them. Pick any "expression of yourself". Being gay, crossdressing, liking "weird" stuff, etc, etc. Just do what you like to do and be happy doing it. Or, you know, you can "confine" yourself to RP areas alone, but I've never had to do that and I love to post. Talked others into doing with me too. If I wasn't "always being myself regardless of location" then I wouldn't be happy.

eg: It can be their problem. Not yours. And plenty of people will like, perhaps even love you for posting in sims that aren't RP focused. Some people even post the "public lewds" at some sex sims. It's all in good fun.

Edited by Taramafor
  • Like 1

I have found minor RP elements in non-RP areas are mostly well received as long as you are considerate about it.
If people have a problem knowing what is considerate and what is not, then they are going to have a problem with people when not role-playing anyway and should probably work on that first.

General rule is to *ahem* feel the pulse of the room, so to speak before attempting anything and try to blend.
You know...just ordinary social etiquette for any gatherings.

• Like 1

This may have been said before but, to rp is rude in the following situations.

1) The place you are, do not allow to roleplay: why not, because if that rule is there is for people to not be bothered by others. Said that, if you are there and you roleplay with someone else on IM, meanwhile you follow all the etiquete (like not getting nude or jumping like crazy or similar stuff), then you are not bothering and others may not even notice you are rping so, in that case is ok.

2) you were not invited: if there are people there talking and you just intrude to show off, thats bad no matter if the place allows rping or not. Intruding is NEVER welcomed.The best you can do in this sort of situations is to im one of them, if they ignore you thay may not want you around, and they where there first so, unless its the middle of the way do not get near.

The only "ok" situation to start a conversation is if there are a lot of people and they are casually chatting (you should let them talk for 2 or 3 minutes to understand enough), or if they have been silent. then you just emote arriving, if they say hi, its ok to poke a bit more and try to go on from there but, its rude to just start in any place and say "hey how is everyone", in an attemp to be noticed. (in fact sometimes you are more noticed if you say a simple hi and rp your way in like saying hello, and then /me arrives at the bar and ask the bartender for a drink, gets it and start sipping while looking at the bar). then if people is interested, great if you are ignored they do not want to get involved.

3) private places: of course just being there is bad. if its private do not cross. even less to rp.