Gopi Passiflora

Is "roleplaying" in non-RP areas really that bad?

I have some avatars which I use to present different kinds of characters, just as a joke in social places that aren't RP areas. I just want to see how people react to the characters. The reactions can be amusing. However I've heard that it might not be a good thing to roleplay in such places.

I'm curious what you guys think about this.

Whether or not it is "bad" is subjective and quite dependent on what you're doing, where you are, who is around, etc...

One person's idea of a "joke" has the likelihood of not going well, at times, when those around don't consider it a joke at all.

So, yeah, depends on what "rp" you're doing (and I use quotes because even THAT is subjective, that is, the idea of what is and isn't rp), where you are, and how offensive you're being towards others. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

41 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

...just as a joke...
...I just want to see how people react to the characters...
...The reactions can be amusing...

For the lulz huh?

• Like 7

As a rule anything that removes a persons ability to consent to being a part of your roleplay is considered at best, rude. This is generally why roleplay tends to remain in in dedicated roleplay areas.

• Like 9

I just think if you are bugging people with it, its rude... And by that I mean, who started the interaction? Were they minding their business and you ran up to them and started randomly rping at them? Then that's annoying and rude lol. But if they started an interaction with you, I think that is way more of a gray area. Kinda have to feel it out with each interaction... So just to be safe, keep it to rp areas ;)

• Like 4

It’s a bad idea if the place forbids it, or most seem unamused.

In the latter case and as Tari said, it may depend on the RP, i.e, animals or babies are so universally obvious that everyone “gets it”, giving them a chance to know it’s RP; whether they’ll engage is up to them–by the way, that’s where it often fouls: when the one doing it proves actually incapable of believing some (let alone most) won’t indulge him, and starts calling them “stuck-up”, “humorless” or anything else that’ll vindicate him.

Edited by Ren Toxx
  • Like 3

Personally I am not a fan of /me long paragraphs and I do not engage in such RP. So if someone starts such conversation with me, I simply say I am not interested and if it doesn't make them stop, I just mute them. I think I could enjoy a nice conversation with a RP character, if it is good and I can feel that they do not make fun of me and if I am not forced to RP back. 

Besides, I think that many of residents play a role in SL, even if they do not officially name themselves as roleplayers. And sometimes they can be much more annoying than a RP-er in a non RP area. So as long as it is respectful and I don't feel like I am a guinea pig for someone's amusement, for me it is OK. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Kotelle said:

Personally I am not a fan of /me long paragraphs and I do not engage in such RP. So if someone starts such conversation with me, I simply say I am not interested and if it doesn't make them stop, I just mute them. I think I could enjoy a nice conversation with a RP character, if it is good and I can feel that they do not make fun of me and if I am not forced to RP back. 

Besides, I think that many of residents play a role in SL, even if they do not officially name themselves as roleplayers. And sometimes they can be much more annoying than a RP-er in a non RP area. So as long as it is respectful and I don't feel like I am a guinea pig for someone's amusement, for me it is OK. 

Roleplay implies pretend, I'd prefer to have real honest conversations than be involved in some persons pretend ideas of rp fun

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phorumities said:

Roleplay implies pretend, I'd prefer to have real honest conversations than be involved in some persons pretend ideas of rp fun

That's your choice.  

For me all this "official RP" and "not really a RP but I am someone else in SL than in RL" is a little bit of a gray area. And it doesn't really matter if the story of avatar and the person behind the avatar are different, and the avatar is just a role they play in SL, as long as it is time well spent and we both have fun, not only the RPer, testing me and my sense of humour. 

• Like 4

It all depends on circumstances. When Basementguy of Gor decided to call me a "Slave" while shopping and the store owner defended that behaviour I decided to boycott that store. I am also not happy with child avatars emitting "stawberry flavoured farties" all across SL, but at least those insult no one. There is no black and white - a cat avatar user might chase a ball of yarn and I doubt anyone will object, a dog avatar might carry around a bone... snakes might hiss, dogs bark and kittens purr - if however a male doggy decides to lick that part of the anatomy dogs are known for licking - a line might be crossed in more than some sims.

As said before: It all ... depends on cirumstances ...

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I have some avatars which I use to present different kinds of characters, just as a joke in social places that aren't RP areas. I just want to see how people react to the characters. The reactions can be amusing. However I've heard that it might not be a good thing to roleplay in such places.

I'm curious what you guys think about this.

Without more details on what you are actually doing, it is difficult to give a solid opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

As a rule anything that removes a persons ability to consent to being a part of your roleplay is considered at best, rude. This is generally why roleplay tends to remain in in dedicated roleplay areas.

I thought the reason why RP sims exist is because the RPers want to keep the non-RPers out, not because the non-RPers shunned them. 

• Haha 1

It works both ways. I've seen people get quite hostile to others roleplaying in local in a non RP setting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Very true. And it depends even more on this:

10 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

As a rule anything that removes a persons ability to consent to being a part of your roleplay is considered at best, rude.

Some private role playing is perfectly ok just about everywhere in Second Life and in Real Life too for that matter. But the moment you try to involve bystanders or start to interfere with whatever they are doing or experiencing, that's when you have to be careful.

• Like 3

I have been roleplaying for quite some years outside of SL and get my joy from a serious setting with other, likeminded players. So I don't really get that kind of "fun" you are seeking. Just be aware that your "fun" might not be fun for others around you. Since you didn't say what you intent to do, I can only guess and as I have seen some really bad examples in SL and even in real life, I "fear" for the worst.

Personally I have no interest in dealing with peoples RP outside of a fitting setting. Family RP is the worst, closely followed by Gor-idiots who think the world should be like their crappy fantasy setting and last but not least people who you can't get to know or easily chat with* because they are constantly playing some role and writing emotes.

*it is a much bigger strain for me to emote in English than to simply talk with people.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Fionalein said:

It all depends on circumstances. When Basmentguy of Gor decided to call me a "Slave" while shopping and the store owner defended that behaviour I decided to boycott that store. I am also not happy with child avatars emitting "stawberry flavoured farties" all across SL, but at least those insult no one. There is no black and white - a cat avatar user might chase a ball of yarn and I doubt anyone will object, a dog avatar might carry around a bone... snakes might hiss, dogs bark and kittens purr - if however a male doggy decides to lick that part of the anatomy dogs are known for licking - a line might be crossed in more than some sims.

I remember one occasion...

I was standing around on an rlv hangout, chatting to an aquaintance, when this Clueless Para RP Trash From Planet Dumbass decided to tp in...

"You there! Girl, I lost heavily in a poker game to some Miners back at the mining camp, and by way of payment i promised them a girl to use, you'll do..."

/me walks over and grabs your arm, and starts dragging you away towards the portal to the Mining Camp...

Now this wasn't some rlv using "Dumbinant", this was just some vanilla Clueless Para RP Trash, "roleplaying" his urban kidnap/rape crap AT people because "they are rlv ho's who cant say no".

He was deeply surprised, and offended when not only did the 'girl' in question fail to RP being dragged away to be raped by Miners, but indeed told the Para Trash where he could shove his fat head, and even more shocked when others standing near by, my self included, joined in the very public condemnation of his "Roleplay".

30 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Some private role playing is perfectly ok just about everywhere in Second Life and in Real Life too for that matter. But the moment you try to involve bystanders or start to interfere with whatever they are doing or experiencing, that's when you have to be careful.

I've seen a lot of "roleplayers" who think that THEIR RP is far more important than anything that anyone else is doing.

A "private detective" who went around an rlv hangout unleashing , unlocking and messing with every public access restraint in the place, pissing off more than a dozen D/s people, because "it's what his private investigator character would do for damsels in distress", who when im'd about his behavior by a sim officer, and told he was behaving like an inconsiderate ass" then violated the ToS by pasting the im into local, and demanding that every one of the dozen people he pissed off should AR the sim officer for calling him an ass in IM, and who upon discovering that they all told him to gtfo, then denounced the whole crowd as "the wrong sort of people, who were ruining SL", and disrupting his RP!

I punt kicked the dumbass off the sim...

12 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I just want to see how people react to the characters. The reactions can be amusing. However I've heard that it might not be a good thing to roleplay in such places.

I HATE Para RP Trash types who insist on roleplaying AT unwilling victims in non Para RP Trash areas.

My usual comment to such Para Trash is...

"We don't come to your Para Trash sims and deliberately interrupt your rubbish with conversations about last nights TV, or the RL weather, or our rlv gear, and what cool new fun rlv items are coming out, why do you scumbags feel a need to invade our areas and harass us with your pretentious over-wordy 5th rate fan fiction garbage?"

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

I remember one occasion...

Even in a roleplay environment, this would be considered bad play. Where I'm from (roleplaywise) we call that "power play"; dictating with your own emote what happens to other characters without giving them the chance to react.

• Like 6

I guess I should detail what I used to do to clear up any confusion:

-I teleport to a safe hub like Ungren.

-I introduce myself and say, either by typing or voice, that I'm on a diplomatic mission or whatever the character is doing.

-I see how people respond or play along.

-I then continue my character for a bit before saying that I have to leave or something.

That's usually how it goes. I don't target anyone in particular, I just see who plays along and act accordingly.

But if this is frowned upon, I won't do it anymore.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

I have been roleplaying for quite some years outside of SL and get my joy from a serious setting with other, likeminded players. So I don't really get that kind of "fun" you are seeking. Just be aware that your "fun" might not be fun for others around you. Since you didn't say what you intent to do, I can only guess and as I have seen some really bad examples in SL and even in real life, I "fear" for the worst.

Personally I have no interest in dealing with peoples RP outside of a fitting setting. Family RP is the worst, closely followed by Gor-idiots who think the world should be like their crappy fantasy setting and last but not least people who you can't get to know or easily chat with* because they are constantly playing some role and writing emotes.

*it is a much bigger strain for me to emote in English than to simply talk with people.

I kinda have a platonic crush on you.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I guess I should detail what I used to do to clear up any confusion:

-I teleport to a safe hub like Ungren.

-I introduce myself and say, either by typing or voice, that I'm on a diplomatic mission or whatever the character is doing.

-I see how people respond or play along.

-I then continue my character for a bit before saying that I have to leave or something.

That's usually how it goes. I don't target anyone in particular, I just see who plays along and act accordingly.

But if this is frowned upon, I won't do it anymore.

That's not rude or disruptive, especially if you stop if you get a negative reaction. 

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

If ever people do this to me, I join the fun and have the lord chaimberlain call for the imperial guards to arrest and imprison whomever dares speak to me without spoken to. After all, thou shallt not break protocol in the presence of me, Shaddam VI of the House Corrino, emperor of the known universe. Intergalactic wars were started for less.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Haha 1