Sign in to follow this  
MSTRPLN

Handheld items

How would one attack this problem on handheld items? Making the hands "grab" something.
Is this dont by partly-aniamtion where you only override the hand & finger bones? That's my first thought really.

I've heard someone mention "Bento hands" would this be different or same technique?

You can make a special Bento animation and call that animation just like you would before for a non-Bento animation.  A good example of this is the new soda bottles that I featured yesterday in my blog post. They are so very much better than non-Bento animations. At the same time, I am not sure if you make a Bento animation for hand and forearm what happens to those that do not have Bento hands. 

soda.thumb.jpg.8de4eaa5754a0bb7fa649158291b599b.jpg

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info

4 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

At the same time, I am not sure if you make a Bento animation for hand and forearm what happens to those that do not have Bento hands. 

They will animate - just because nothing is rigged to the bones does not stop the bones from moving - you can even see this as a 3rd person when you enable bones view in the developer menu of some viewers. In your case forarm, wrist and hand base will move fingers will be unaffected  (interesting idea: include the classic hand hold animation component for backward compatibility)

Edited by Fionalein