Verticles

Corial

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have created an object in blender 2.79b and wish to upload it to the beta grid for testing purposes.  In blender the item has 17329 verticles or vertexes. However, when I try to upload I get the error vertex number is more then 65534, aborted!

Can anyone help me with this problem?

I do not know wat HAVOC is  but I can tell you the following;  I use the standard SL viewer, I applied a subdivision modifier to my work but that is already on the object and the 17329  verticles in blender is the result of it, I export with blender via export:collada(default), and choose operator preset SL+Open sim static and export to SL/opensim in the options menu and I have done nothing else but choose upload:model in Sl itself.

Edit: Also in the export menu op blender is a "use modifiers" option but unchecking that one does not make a difference

Edited by Corial
more information

1 hour ago, Corial said:

I have created an object in blender 2.79b and wish to upload it to the beta grid for testing purposes.  In blender the item has 17329 verticles or vertexes. However, when I try to upload I get the error vertex number is more then 65534, aborted!

Unlike Blender, Second Life can only handle one normal per vertice. That means, if a vertice is shared by two or more triangles pointing in different directions and with sharp normals, the uploader will have to split the vertice into several, one for each triangle.

Edited by ChinRey

I replied to this but seems an attack is going on from the error message. Will try again.

In general it is often good to put in screenshots of your issue as it helps folks trying to help. 

Also in general the sub surf modifier is NOT your friend in SL. If you do use it, best to take out all the edge loops that you do not need.  If you are learning (we have no idea of your skill level from your post) note that MANY Blender tutorials are NOT designed for use in platforms that need "game asset" mesh and can produce VERY HEAVY and unusable mesh in general.

In six years of working in Blender I have never seen that error message and don't actually remember it being mentioned on the forums although it likely has, so it is not a common problem and most likely a result of how the mesh was made. 

Lots of folks are happy to help if they can. Good luck.

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling

3 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Several operations can cause a vertex to end up duplicated (not sure how much of this applies to secondlife but I see no reason for it not to):

• Hard edge/edge split
  • A change of material (face for SL)
  • UV seams

Oh yes, materials too of course. As far as the SL software is concerned, each material/face is a separate mesh.

And probably UV seams. I haven't checked that for meshes but prims and sculpts have their vertices split along those.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.