Blender - One small weight query

Krokheimer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2109 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Greetings everyone,

and thank you for taking the time.

I am making good progress on my models but encountered one issue as I am weighting a head for an avatar. Everything works fine, except for one vertices or pixel that is just about microscopic. I have tried a lot of different solutions but in vain, despite weighting the head fully red and other nearby bones in zero weight at the mouth, there is still a vertices or pixel that is moving around, flicking as if it has been weighted to an eye bone .. but even if i set all weights as zero in eye bones, the issue persist. I have made sure to fully weight the whole head, but still the issue persist of a little vertices or pixel flicking around and creating a spike on the side of the mouth. Been looking around but not managed to get any support on my particular question.

55faed1948f3dc9c7a59f13e8948cc32.png

94d61034dbaa3c88b10a6061e752706c.png

Anyone knows what might be the cause of this or how to solve it? Cheers.

Edited by Krokheimer

8 answers to this question

One thing that comes to my mind is that it may have gotten more than 4 vertex groups on it, even if those had no weights assigned. After the weighting process, try to run "Limit Total" and make sure it is set to 4. This way that vertex will be removed from excessive Vertex Groups on a lowest-influence-goes-first basis.

The current behavior looks like when the uploader finds such a situation and can't determine what vertex groups to strip off, therefore stripping off every vertex group from that vertex. Indeed, the exact opposite situation can give the same visual issue. Thus, after limit total function is applied, you should also use the Zero Weight button to make sure that this specific vertex got assigned to at least one group, preferably with weights. There's also an Avastar tool in the N pane that should be called Component Editor to check on weights values on selected vertices, to make troubleshooting/weight values setting easier.

Limiting the vertex groups to 4 did not make any difference. Using the zero weight button, it tells me there are no unweighted vertexes.

Where is the "N" pane? I didn't manage to find Component Editor yet :)

Edited by Krokheimer

Right, its name is Properties View pane, the one that opens up by hitting N while your mouse cursor hovers in the 3d view. The component editor is a feature from Avastar, it's not Blender native. You must have a rigged mesh selected and in Edit mode. I don't know whether it was moved from this panel since last time i used Blender+Avastar...

Oh i just fired up Blender with the last Avastar i downloaded (2.0.4) and it's called Vertex Weights, always in the Properties View panel mentioned before. Sorry, i'm a bit biased toward Maya's nomenclature xD 

18 hours ago, Krokheimer said:

I can't find Vertex Weights, hm

don't think i have the option for now

Blender has the feature. It is not part of AvaStar. In Edit, select the single vertex and look in the Properties (N toggle) near the top. If the vertex is NOT weighted, this edit tool will NOT appear. 

You can try deleting that vertex. Then replace it and weight the new one.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Blender has the feature. It is not part of AvaStar.

It was originally part of avastar as per my request when i was looking for a Component Editor in Blender, but apparently Gaia has donated this feature to the Blender foundation.The current documentation https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/modeling/meshes/properties/vertex_groups/vertex_weights.html clearly shows SL avatars bones names, evidence of Gaia's involvement. So, my bad that i didn't know about this recent addition to the base Blender

• Thanks 1

Thank you for clearing this up, I was looking for a while under Avastar features. Will see what I can do now :)

EDIT: Fantastic, having managed to locate the vertex weights feature I have now resolved my issue and want to thank you both :) now my avatar head is moving right in all it's vertexes!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2109 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.