Anyone think it would be good if there ever was a court system in sl to handle stuff like group bans?

Axel UwU

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2060 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Because,as it is,people who are banned from a group have no way to defend themselves and can't use evidence in their favor or dispute evidence used against them.

• he right to trial by jury;
  • The right to trial in a timely manner;
  • the right to be informed of the nature and cause of all accusations against you;
  • the right to confront witnesses against you;
  • the right to have legal counsel available to you; and
  • the right to compel witnesses to testify on your behalf
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9
  • Confused 4

30 minutes ago, Axelfoxthefoxyfluff said:

Because,as it is,people who are banned from a group have no way to defend themselves and can't use evidence in their favor or dispute evidence used against them.

• he right to trial by jury;
  • The right to trial in a timely manner;
  • the right to be informed of the nature and cause of all accusations against you;
  • the right to confront witnesses against you;
  • the right to have legal counsel available to you; and
  • the right to compel witnesses to testify on your behalf

You pay for it all,  I am sure you could get some volunteers.

• Like 2

Uhhh, no

As far as a group ban is concerned...so what, you get banned form a group then you're banned, move on, lol. 

I don't think sl needs more groups for "policing" the grid-we've seen what those justice-ish groups do, it's not usually positive, lol. 

I also don't think anyone needs a court, or anything remotely like it to defend themselves when they've been banned from a group. If it means that much to someone to be IN the group, I can't imagine that person would cross any line(s) that might lead to a ban.

We don't have those rights in sl, and I'm not convinced we need them.

So, nope....behave yourself, follow the rules, and you don't run the risk of a ban. If you cross someone and get a ban anyway..chalk it up to.."oh well", and move on. 

• Like 1

Would you like a court system to be implemented that will rule over who you can and cannot ban from your home?  Would you like to be sued because you blocked your ex's number on your phone?

There is no public space in SL.  All of the groups and all of the land is owned by someone.  That owner (even if it is Governor Linden) has the right to allow or exclude anyone from their privately owned content.  There is no difference between my group of 5 people that have build rights at my Linden home or the Friends of Maitreya Lara group of 100K+ members.  Each group is owned by one person and that one person can allow or not allow any one for any reason or no reason at all.  It is nobody's business but mine who comes into group.  Likewise, Ava has ultimate say about what happens in her group.  In either case no one else has a right to meddle in our privately owned groups. And they are all privately owned.

HOWEVER!   It could be possible to form a government of sorts where those that opt in would relinquish control to a central organization.  Like, say, a real world corporation with policies and bylaws.  An elected board of directors.  Limitations on powers and restrictions on adopting new policies.  The corporation would own all land and lease it out to it's citizens. Then, anyone wanting to live under this government would have to agree to the laws and pay taxes.  Of course the first time someone doesn't want to obey the rules they can simply leave.  Really, what benefit would you get as a citizen of a SL government that you could not get on your own? Every individual land owner in SL has as much power as the largest land owner.  Block and ban is all anyone can do.   Why would I want to relinquish my power to ban people from my own property?  That just leaves me open and unable to protect myself until someone else gets around to going through the checks and procedures to do it for me, IF they do it at all.

And finally .... jury duty in SL?  Oh hell no.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tari Landar said:

I don't think sl needs more groups for "policing" the grid-we've seen what those justice-ish groups do, it's not usually positive, lol. 

MMmm.... "Justice groups" that were basically a protection racket supplying people to defend your events and the griefers so you felt you were getting value for money. 

At least everyone involved showed up in costume.

• Haha 4

As a admin on a site which I will not mention here, as much as I like users of services, they don't always know what is best for the site, so it will always end in a mistrial, and for when it doesn't, it would have been the same outcome as if a administrator had handled it.

I understand the sentiment, but it would mostly be a waste of a bunch of people's time.

This can, however, work in massive groups such as the Linux foundation, who does council voting on things, but they already have people appointed to such stuff.

Edited by Chaser Zaks
i am a good spiller i speak english good
  • Like 2

I don't think much would change here..In fact it could get a little wild and crazy

People would just show up complaining about how you can't get a fair trial in such and such county,or they got railroaded by the system..Lawyers showing up talking about how their client is an innocent man/woman...All they wantin is some justice! \o/

Chaos would ensue..Then before you know it all hell breaks loose and we end up with Al Pacino and Jack Nicholson showing up screaming at everyone..

order2.jpg

JackNicholson-409x218.jpg

I get the jeepers creepers just thinkin about it..:ph34r:

• Like 4

There once was. There was a Second Life Bar Association. They had a legal village, with a courtroom, law offices, and a bar association office at Justitia (184, 139, 983). I saw it once. They had a speaker series. They had conferences. This all dates from when serious businesses thought SL was the next World Wide Web.

The last meeting of the SLBA was May 12, 2018, according to their web site. They were dissolving their corporation.

• Like 1

Please no. it is already hard enough to deal with people i ban from my group/land. In this age of people being happy enough to sue a parrot over a peanut i would have to deal with a mess like that as well. If one is banned they should just live with it and move on and if the one banning them is abusive while doing so they can file an abuse report.

I think nobody would survive that job for long. All the abstruse drama, the petty revenge actions and the stunning entitletment... whos going to pay them that well, that they carry on each day? I think LL made a wise decision, when they spared their staff from having to deal with the various disputes between residents.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

I swear, we need a forum just for people who have been butthurt-banned and can’t get over it. Makes me wonder whose homes in RL they think they are entitled to enter.

I was just thinking exactly the same thing.  How do these people manage to get two legs in their knickers every morning without help?

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Axelfoxthefoxyfluff said:

he right to trial by jury;

Jury... A mob of strangers, supposedly chosen at random, with NO regard for their fitness to judge anything, let alone the matter in hand, but in practice often winnowed by Lawyers, ruling various jurors "unacceptable" before the trial begins.

the right to have legal counsel available to you;

And speaking of the Professional Liars, what makes you think that a) there are any in SL, able to offer competent advice on group bans, or that b) any of the parasites would agree to work for free.

the right to compel witnesses to testify on your behalf

And if your group ban is as unjustified as you'd like the Court to think, and your innocence so easily proven, why would you need to COMPEL the people on "your side"?

So, Moron.Asshat (rez 2007) gets banned from a group, outraged at the injustice of this ban, they demand "Trial by Morons", with a covey of paid Professional Liars, to twist and distort the tale, and sp-in the whole sordid dramafest out for days, or weeks or months, at extortionate expense!

A system that would ultimately end up in the same place as most civil libel suits, where the winner is the person who can afford to hire the largest number of the most skilled professional liars, for the longest time.

Do I think it's a good idea?

No I think it's an example of the unlicenced possession of illegal quantities of WEAPONS GRADE stupidity, dreamed up by somebody who got kicked from some group and who is too self-entitled and self-righteous to shrug and move on...

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2060 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.