Should a purchased mesh head look like the demo ?

Sox Bookmite

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2103 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi, could anyone please confirm if it is normal for a catwa purchased head to look absolutely nothing like the demo.? 

Someome I know and love very much has spent literally weeks on choosing the right head for her, and I mean weeks ..Anyway after several demos and doing the ‘ learning curve’ with using appliers etc , she decided on a particular Catawa head and I believe a  Matreya Lara body . 

Shes absolutely distraught, the face is malformed and I have to admit it looks nothing like the demo, she logged off in tears of anger, and has been inconsolable since.

I have suggested, that it is possibly a glitch that has caused the shape not to render properly,  is this a realistic expectation? Could this happen? She’s just so disappointed and angry at spending the best part of 10k lindens on all this and it not looking anything like the demo .

Any suggestions would be greatfully received 

5 answers to this question

The look of the head depends on the shape you use.  All mesh heads, including Catwa, come with a shape.  You should use that as the default.  It's only a starting point, though.  You can use Appearance/Edit my Shape, and the various sliders, to alter the look of the head.  Save your work with a new name (and make a copy of the default shape before you start, for safety.)

If the head really does look malformed AND you are using the default shape that came with it, it may indeed be some sort of rendering glitch.  First thing to try is to simply re-log.  There are other things to try, if that doesn't work.

EDITED TO ADD:  Also, did she actually buy the head from the Catwa store in world?  There are some counterfeit versions running around.  If she was looking for a bargain, and bought one of those, she could have much bigger problems than a deformed head.  Send me an IM in world; I'll be happy to come have a look.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Two things can throw off the look of a head; Shape and Skin.

With shape we have the problem of the shape included with the head changing our body. There is a fix and depending on how you use avatar shape it can a time killer or saver. You'll have to decide.

Heads-n-Shapes.jpg.fcce8489d22a1f4695b7c

• Like 1

On 7/15/2018 at 3:26 PM, Nalates Urriah said:

Two things can throw off the look of a head; Shape and Skin.

With shape we have the problem of the shape included with the head changing our body. There is a fix and depending on how you use avatar shape it can a time killer or saver. You'll have to decide.

Heads-n-Shapes.jpg.fcce8489d22a1f4695b7c

wow Nalates!  Excellent visual aid examples of how "shape and/or skins" can alter an avatars appearance!  Thank you

Edited by Crissy Crossing

On 15.7.2018 at 3:17 AM, Lindal Kidd said:

ad from the Catwa store in world?  There are some counterfeit versions running around.  If she was looking for a bargain, and bought one of those, she could have much bigger problems than a deformed head.  Send me an IM in world; I'll be happy to come have a look.

I experienced the same problem like the thread starter described.
A friend wanted to have head and shape what makes her avatar a bit looking like her RL face.
So i went to Catwa and got the demo of the lilo head. I created a new shape, and spent one hour altering that (face) shape. After it was done, i gave the shape to a friend who uses the Lilo head already (bought at catwa for 5K). And guess what? It was looking completely different than being used with the demo head. I dont get it...

Edited by Resi Pfeffer
added some more details

That's very interesting, Resi.  It's possible that there is some difference in rigging between the demo and the purchased version that the creator did not notice.  I would send a notecard to the creator pointing out this odd behavior, with as much detail as you can provide.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2103 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.