New data protection Laws avatar line hud breaking them?

L0leta

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2098 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, L0leta said:

I would like to know is the Avatar on line hud breaking the New EU Data Protection Rules.  Because if someone is scanning me daily and collecting data on me then i feel it is invading my privacy.

Unless they can link your avatar to your real life then i doubt it

2 minutes ago, L0leta said:

I would like to know is the Avatar on line hud breaking the New EU Data Protection Rules.  Because if someone is scanning me daily and collecting data on me then i feel it is invading my privacy.

while visiting any website, they will get more info about your RL and likes in one visit than SL in a year.

10 minutes ago, L0leta said:

Debatable and only one way to find out - ask your local data protection authorities on it. They then will have to take action when they interpret the law as as broken.

• Thanks 1

That's like suggesting that someone guessing your first name, which is on your nametag, while at your workplace, is invading your privacy

Your UUID is public information, there is no invasion of your privacy. 

Edited by Tari Landar

7 hours ago, L0leta said:

It's not.

Avatars are just pixels and not EU citizens.

Edited by Callum Meriman

10 hours ago, L0leta said:

The really significant point here is that GDPR aims to cover ACTUAL data protection of personal data, not cases of simple paranoia.

In RL, it may be wise to never leave the house because what if someone sees you?  Worse what if someone takes a picture and you happen to be in it? 

I expect we'll see another YouTube video of a "victim" claiming that the photographer needs their permission to include them in a photograph because they've imagined that photographing people without permission is illegal.

1 minute ago, L0leta said:

Was a question i asked Chic not to be told to move away from pc  *coughs *

Your question reads as paranoia, so the advice is pretty sound.

If someone knowing you're online makes you think your privacy is being violated, as you stated in your post, avoiding whatever brings that paranoia on, is pretty smart. 

Also

81dCJtV4pTL._SY550_.jpg.6b0e477a7ec4e517e87e68528b0e78cd.jpg

...for your dry throat :D

8 minutes ago, L0leta said:

Was a question i asked Chic

This is like the old joke ...

Let's eat grandpa.
Let's eat, grandpa.
Commas save lives.

It took a few times before I figured out the reason I didn't know the question he ask Chic is because he asked her not to tell.
"Was a question i asked Chic not to be told "
Maybe that is a question ...
"Was a question i asked Chic not to be told?"
So ... I guess you can tell us the question you asked Chic.  What did you ask her?  But then ... " to move away from pc "

So if I put it all together,  yes, you can tell the question that you asked Chic to move away from the PC but I don't think the question will comply.

Or something like that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Took it out of context i afraid Rhonda ... Question was as above points to heading ...Is the New Data Protection Laws concerning The Avatar on Line Hud  Breaking the New  Rules ?  Simple valid reason i am asking.

10 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

This is like the old joke ...

Let's eat grandpa.
Let's eat, grandpa.
Commas save lives.

It took a few times before I figured out the reason I didn't know the question he ask Chic is because he asked her not to tell.
"Was a question i asked Chic not to be told "
Maybe that is a question ...
"Was a question i asked Chic not to be told?"
So ... I guess you can tell us the question you asked Chic.  What did you ask her?  But then ... " to move away from pc "

So if I put it all together,  yes, you can tell the question that you asked Chic to move away from the PC but I don't think the question will comply.

Or something like that.

My questions never comply when I tell them to do something...sigh, bastages. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

My questions never comply when I tell them to do something...sigh, bastages. 

I got a brand new bunch of questions and answered delivered here just yesterday.  Some of the questions look wrong so I asked the driver if he could take them back.  He said sure.  I didn't have to accept the questions.  The answers, however, would remain whether I accepted them or not.  That's just how it is.

[ETA- Spoiler]

giphy.gif

Edited by Rhonda Huntress

Avatar online hud. If it's only made with the default linden lab lsl command to see if someone is online cannot be any problem as long there's no data stored outside secondlife on external database.

The command http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlRequestAgentData

just can detect if user a is online or not by check the avatar uuid. So i see no GDPR problem.

5 hours ago, L0leta said:

Took it out of context i afraid Rhonda ... Question was as above points to heading ...Is the New Data Protection Laws concerning The Avatar on Line Hud  Breaking the New  Rules ?  Simple valid reason i am asking.

No,  is your simple answer, please LOOK at what the lsl commands do and see where they pull the information from, trying to make mountains out of mole hills is not going to you anyplace besides people telling you already a few times over and over the answer.  "well they must be wrong" so you are waiting for another person whom thinks the same way you do to validate the claim?  sounds like it to me. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, L0leta said:

Validate what claim Bigmoe putting words in my mouth is not a good thing to do .. i was asking simple question i guess u either have one or  you make them huh ?

it's how you came off or what you was looking for.  you have the answers by multiple people. 

NO, the OP's concern is NOT paranoia.  It's, in fact, sensible.

IF you noticed someone watching your home, recording every package delivered to your door,  noting all the mail going in and taken out your letterbox,  jotting down the times when lights go on or off in certain rooms,  watching when your car leaves the driveway and returns, and maybe where your car goes,  etc, and indeed, etc.   Well, that is the world of today which to many of us became utterly predicable and apparent years ago in the meteoric rise of Google and it's ilk.  All those much touted sweet "freebies" we could download for neat applications, and yes I remember the birth of the famous Gmail that we were all urged by the great tech pundits of the time to quickly go get one while they are still available!  Hah!  And so now it seems most the world has one of those including some high uppity leaders and/or consultants, who should know better.  Finally today, even the general public seems to realize the behemoth giant data vacuum-cleaners at work out there gathering all they can from us. Facebook, et al.   And rather a bit too closely resembling the fantasy image above of the mysterious car with blackened windows that stays in front of your house.  And you suddenly begin to wonder is it there in traffic behind you...,  oh! is that it?  Did I just glimpse it there?  Is it not?  Am I going crazy?

No.  You are not crazy, and neither are you paranoid. You are awake.

Is this Legal?  I can't say.  But we are sensitized to it enough now to know that it is CREEPY.

Edited by Lancewae Barrowstone
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2098 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.