Jump to content

Maxiumum number of items per folder?


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 864 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Looking through the knowledge base I found no info. The LIMITS wiki (most info VERY old) gives the info below.  I know that in Opensim (yes, not the same platform) there IS a limit (I believe it is 1000 but was never an issue). 

My question is -- CURRENTLY is there any info on the number of items that can be in a folder without dreaded inventory "disappearances" (either real or temporary). Thanks.

 

Maximum number of inventory items displayed in a single inventory folder: Several thousand.

  • This was discussed during [1] "the folder will load up to the limit number of items, and remaining ones won't show up in the viewer. you still own them, they aren't lost, but they will be hidden until the folder size is reduced."
  • There is no specified limit for total avatar inventory, very large folders can be split.
  • There was discussion in the Third Party Developers' UG (4/10/2015) meeting about new inventory and login problems from having large numbers of items in a single folder. AISv3 removed server side limits on the number of items in a folder. Flat inventories are bad. No one is certain at what number of items in a folder cause a login problem. The fix is to clear the inventory cache (not the viewer cache) and log into a deserted, empty region then move inventory items into folders and sub-folders. - The problem appears at different a number of items depending on your computer and connection speed. Hopefully being on an empty region will give one enough edge to get logged in and do some corrective work before being dropped.
Link to post
Share on other sites

There used to be a limit of roughly 10,000 items per inventory folder.
Any items over this would still be there in the back-end inventory, they just wouldn't display to the user in the viewer.
The limit wasn't on the number of inventory items as such, the HTTP cap truncated the download of per folder items to about 10MB per folder - which is very roughly 10,000 items.
I was told that each inventory item takes ~7kb memory, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Since the inventory system was switched over to AIS3 (http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Inventory_API_v3) there is no longer a memory limit/item limit for inventory folders.

This does not mean that it's a smart idea to have many thousands of items in an inventory folder or folders though.
This can cause problems such as inventory views taking too long to create from cache at login causing the login to time out, or if you do manage to get logged in, the viewer can freeze solid trying to load a very very large folder & you'll get disconnected.
The more nested you have your inventory (subfolders within subfolders) the better.
 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

I was told that each inventory item takes ~7kb memory, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

A little less I think, but it's splitting hairs really. 

Generally it's not something people need to worry about, nor is the total amount of memory their inventory is using.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Generally it's not something people need to worry about, nor is the total amount of memory their inventory is using.

Well, for those using a 32bit viewer, the total amount of memory the viewer can use is pretty limited (especially if they also have a 32bit system).
A super large inventory eats into that precious memory rather a lot.

If you run a 64bit viewer, inventory size doesn't really matter as long as you have the inventory nested & not flat.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all. 

Interesting about the difference with 32 and 64 bit viewers.  I am "redoing" my saved H and G folders. Right now they are in YEARS which worked find for awhile but I still have some OK things from 2013 and some rearranging should be done.  Looks like I currently have about 10,000 for the five years total. Assume that will go down a bunch after I clean house yet again.   

The "by year" system works well until you get  OLD; then it is a bit more problematic.

 

BTW while looking for info on this I wandered into the Uploading Mesh in the Knowledge base.  That was a bit scary :/.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2018 at 2:55 PM, Whirly Fizzle said:

There used to be a limit of roughly 10,000 items per inventory folder.
Any items over this would still be there in the back-end inventory, they just wouldn't display to the user in the viewer.
The limit wasn't on the number of inventory items as such, the HTTP cap truncated the download of per folder items to about 10MB per folder - which is very roughly 10,000 items.
I was told that each inventory item takes ~7kb memory, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Since the inventory system was switched over to AIS3 (http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Inventory_API_v3) there is no longer a memory limit/item limit for inventory folders.

This does not mean that it's a smart idea to have many thousands of items in an inventory folder or folders though.
This can cause problems such as inventory views taking too long to create from cache at login causing the login to time out, or if you do manage to get logged in, the viewer can freeze solid trying to load a very very large folder & you'll get disconnected.
The more nested you have your inventory (subfolders within subfolders) the better.
 

 

It sounds like these facts may be one argument for having Alts!

Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 864 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...