AUCTION CHANGE ***LINDENS READ****

FailedScience

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2079 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens
13 hours ago, chibiusa Ling said:

If you want a suggestion Keira. The option to order by size, cheapest first, most expensive first etc etc would be a good idea instead of everything just thrown together randomly like it is at the moment

Thanks, chibiusa!  We have some sort options queued up for the next revision so I'll be sure your request is thrown into our discussion mix.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This could be bad for the second highest bidder.  Say I'm bidding on plot-C and I get out bid.  I think about it and decide that I'm not willing to go higher.  I then go and find plot-Z in the auction list and I like it so I place a bid on that.  Now the action on plot-C ends and the winning douche-bag doesn't have the L$ and his payment method fails.  Thus, with your suggestion LL would automatically make me the winner.   However, I no longer want plot-C because I am currently the highest bidder on plot-Z and I cannot retract my bid and I most definitely do not want 2 plots in 2 different areas, nor the increased tier associated with that (because I am NOT playing the auctions to sell whatever I win).

I collect land, my group is lasthope land collectors. i keep them scattered in nice sims throughout the grid.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, FailedScience said:

I collect land, my group is lasthope land collectors. i keep them scattered in nice sims throughout the grid.

Then the extra money you mentioned you had left over in your account will always be put to good use at a later moment.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jules Catlyn said:

Then the extra money you mentioned you had left over in your account will always be put to good use at a later moment.

I dont think you understand. Lol I look for specific plots. Nostalgia and such. If I miss a plot that Ive been waiting on, I have no use for 250k lmao

8 hours ago, FailedScience said:

But not every bidder is buying land scattered around for rent or resale, thus automatically giving an auction to the second highest bidder is still a bad idea.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2018 at 12:24 PM, FailedScience said:

So you have no input on why this change has happened? No answers? What is the reasoning behind forcing us to buy unneeded L$

The reason is if you are going to bid on land, you need to have the money to pay for it.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2018 at 7:21 PM, Chic Aeon said:

... A couple of friends years ago ended up paying extra tier after selling land and NOT going back and turning their tier radio button "down" to what they owned after they sold....

BUT the folks that ended up paying tier that they "shouldn't have and never used (back then)" because of that radio button ...

It could be important to realize that changing the radio button on the secondlife.com website is NOT going to work (to help a person avoid paying extra tier) if they fail to drop group donation INWORLD,  on the Group's Land window. That is the crucial and deciding action. If you only click on the website radio button, you'll end up paying extra tier.

On the topic of the new Auction page: PLEASE, please do make the sorting default "end date"---as it is now, each time a particular parcel is clicked on and then the back-button is employed, we go back to a randomly-sorted page. It's time-consuming and annoying to work with the new format, as compared to the efficient workings of the previous format.

And as Qie suggested, adding price-per-square-meter would be appreciated. 

38 minutes ago, Prime said:

It could be important to realize that changing the radio button on the secondlife.com website is NOT going to work (to help a person avoid paying extra tier) if they fail to drop group donation INWORLD,  on the Group's Land window. That is the crucial and deciding action. If you only click on the website radio button, you'll end up paying extra tier.

These days you actually cannot reduce that button lower than any tier that you are currently using and/or have donated (excluding your free 1024 sqm)

1 hour ago, Prime said:

Absolutely understand that. THAT WAS NOT THE CASE in either of these instances.  Again, as stated earlier in this thread, the rules have and do change (in all sorts of things). Hence issues. I even had a friend who called up billing via phone and asked specific questions and got WRONG answers and ended up paying a month extra of tier. Again, long ago. 

On 7/14/2018 at 4:17 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

These days you actually cannot reduce that button lower than any tier that you are currently using and/or have donated (excluding your free 1024 sqm)

Makes sense (and it's a while since I've dropped tier, so: good to know!)

23 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Absolutely understand that. THAT WAS NOT THE CASE in either of these instances.  Again, as stated earlier in this thread, the rules have and do change (in all sorts of things). Hence issues. I even had a friend who called up billing via phone and asked specific questions and got WRONG answers and ended up paying a month extra of tier. Again, long ago. 

It's true, the rules do change and even people working the phones at LL may not be up on all changes. (And even in the absence of new policy, 'group land' issues can be incredibly intricate.)

On 7/11/2018 at 2:16 PM, FailedScience said:

SO lets start with the fact that you are now required to have money before placing an auction bid. For some of us who played the auctions daily we used the same money to pay for plots or would buy the money as needed. THIS IS NOW A FORCED BUY it is not an OK change by any means. It now limits me to bidding on one parcel a week. Rather then trying to win multiple parcels and buying funds as needed. This is going to be a detriment to the way the auctions worked and you will see a lot of people moving away from it. You raised the amount it costs to buy L$ so now not only are we forced to buy money we may not even use but we are also forced to pay more for it. Its a complete scam. A sham, and as a resident from 2005 I am absolutely sadend by the fact that the lindens dont seem to care and only want more money. Sadly. Most of us who played auctions didnt need 100k to bid on two plots all the time, I would use 50k and if I needed to buy more L$ at the end of auction if I won more then one plot. This is absolutely absurd and rude of them to do. #BOYCOTT THE AUCTIONS #AUCTIONSAREDEAD #WAYTOCHEAPYOURCUSTOMERS #UNHAPPYPAYINGCUSTOMER #WHY DO I PAY TO GET ROBBED

I disagree.

It's not a "forced" buy as you are not "forced" to play the auctions. The world doesn't owe you a bid a week or a bid an hour. You should play the auctions within your means as all of us should and not have a venture that involves being forced to buy more money -- again, no one forces this but you shouldn't create a business situation that forces you by overbidding when you don't have the funds on hand.

I think the Lindens had to move to this change for obvious reasons -- that people play the auctions way too widely, like yourself, without the funds to back up their adventures. 

This forces land barons to stop bidding on so many items that merely drives the price up, to their advantage, not the world's or the economy's. That is what is so unnatural about these "free market" auctions that are not like a RL auction where people are constrained by the size of their bank account.

Even for someone only bidding on one parcel, they may not have the amount in their account -- I know that has happened to me if suddenly there is a large refund or something. And that means then LL has to wait for that payment to come in -- it could be hours or even days and yet they allow that land to be purchased "on credit" as it were. They shouldn't.

They can't instantly bill your credit card for an auction held in Linden dollars. Letting your account go negative is also not an option because then you simply might never pay.

The worst thing about the delayed payments is that unscrupulous land barons then flip land. While they are "on credit" they could offer existing land they have for sale, then when it sells, use that cash to pay for the new buy. But they shouldn't be able to do that, it means they are overextended. Again, this isn't a free market, it's a distorted game market.

Ultimately, this move should drive down the price of land on the auctions, and that isn't the worst thing. It's a natural development that should have been done ago in LL's interests.

Now if only they had used this opportunity to restore the RECORD of everyone who bid, and the winner. I think they should also be doing this to deter bad behaviour and the driving up of prices merely to artificially inflate a land baron's wins. Again, that is not a free market but a game.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2079 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.