AUCTION CHANGE ***LINDENS READ****

FailedScience

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2106 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, FailedScience said:

So make a relisting system, or make it go to the second highest bidder, not forcing people to buy L$ for no reason if they loose. I personally shop for land only on the Sharp continent and bid often. I don't need thousands of lindens sitting around being unused for no reason for years.

If I as a regular user wanted to sell my parcel, it would be to move to something else.  Therefore I just want to sell it at auction and move on to my new plot.  Not faff around waiting to relist it and possibly lose a parcel I wanted.   I don't want to be a land baron or flipper, just auction my own plot and move on without messing about

• Like 1

Just now, Alyona Su said:

/me finishes the violin tune "Entitlement Boo-Hoo for the Snowflakes" and begins on "The best way to show a fool is to shut-up and let them speak" in a C-Flat arrangement.

its not entitlement I just think of the greater majority of secondlife and understand the economics behind land selling and buying. I'm also not a fool. Tell me how this new arrangment isn't lopsided please... Tell me how me buying 500US in L$ and getting stuck with it is right. Tell me how that is an acceptable change, not everyone has 500US to toss around constantly and only purchase L$ when they are able to buy a certain plot, or have been waiting for that certain plot to go on sale for a while. Its rediculous to not think that this new arrangment is lopsided. Your  clearly not thinking the whole thing through.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

o relist it and possibly lose a parcel I wanted.   I don't want to be a land baron or flipper, just auction my own plot and move on without messing a

Thats why you give to the second highest bidder. Rather then land barons being the only bidders... thats whats going to happen.... 100%

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, FailedScience said:

So make a relisting system, or make it go to the second highest bidder, not forcing people to buy L$ for no reason if they loose. I personally shop for land only on the Sharp continent and bid often. I don't need thousands of lindens sitting around being unused for no reason for years.

This sounds like a reasonable resolution.

3 minutes ago, MirandaBowers said:

This sounds like a reasonable resolution.

It does, doesn't it. Rather then forcing people to buy raised price L$ for no reason. Give them a 2hr grace period to get the money or something then go to the next bidder or relist, and that could even be chosen by the lister if wanted. It would be far more reasonable.

10 minutes ago, FailedScience said:

its not entitlement I just think of the greater majority of secondlife and understand the economics behind land selling and buying. I'm also not a fool. Tell me how this new arrangment isn't lopsided please... Tell me how me buying 500US in L$ and getting stuck with it is right. Tell me how that is an acceptable change, not everyone has 500US to toss around constantly and only purchase L$ when they are able to buy a certain plot, or have been waiting for that certain plot to go on sale for a while. Its rediculous to not think that this new arrangment is lopsided. Your  clearly not thinking the whole thing through.

Amazing how you're "buying 300US..." turned into "buying 500US" in a single thread. Looks a lot like overemphasizing to make your molehill seem like a bigger mountain than it really is. The way real silent auctions work is simple: You the pay the money of your bid into the pot through escrow. If you are outbid then your money is refunded.

/me breaks out double-sized super-duty micro-violin and starts jamming "B.S. Exaggeration!" Which sounds a lot like the Rolling Stones tune "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction".

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Amazing how you're "buying 300US..." turned into "buying 500US" in a single thread. Looks a lot like overemphasizing to make your molehill seem like a bigger mountain than it really is. The way real auctions work is simple: You the money of your bid into the pot through escrow. if you are outbid then your money is refunded.

/me breaks out double-sized super-duty micro-violin and starts jamming "B.S. Exaggeration!" (which sounds a lot like the Rolling Stones tune "Satisfaction").

OK, SO a 512SQM plot will sell for anywhere between 55,000 and 255,000L$ in a city sim, I would like you to go to the sell page and see how much that is in L$

oh I lied its more 300 - 1000 range my bad.

Purchasing
L$ 255,000
US$ 1,015.94
Transaction Fee
US$ 1.49
US$ 1,017.43

Purchasing
L$ 55,000
US$ 219.13
Transaction Fee
US$ 1.49
US$ 220.62

Your right my numbers were off its 220$ - 1020$ for a city plot. Sorry I dont buy 255,000L$ every day didn't realize it was over a thousand dollars worth. Maybe you can recalculate your argument so you dont look like a complete idiot next time. (OR PLAY AUCTIONS AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS)

Edited by FailedScience
Additional Facts.

4 minutes ago, FailedScience said:

... there also needs to be a price limit on land sales if they are going to do this. 

Because... why?

7 minutes ago, FailedScience said:

LAND BARONS WITH DISPOSABLE INCOME WILL NOW BE THE ONLYONES CAPABLE OF WINNING IN AUCTIONS. 

As an individual landowner, I expect to win just as many auctions as I ever did. And if people aren't bidding against me with money they don't have, that'll be just fine with me.

(Also, just in passing, how is the L$ balance such a big deal, compared to the step-function demand for tier that comes from winning an auction? Sure, the L$s have to come from somewhere, and carrying a balance incurs cost of money instead of collecting all that juicy T-bill interest, but how is that even noticeable compared to having to either carry spare tier or get hit the next month with higher tier charges?)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FailedScience said:

OK, SO a 512SQM plot will sell for anywhere between 55,000 and 255,000L$ in a city sim, I would like you to go to the sell page and see how much that is in L$

oh I lied its more 300 - 1000 range my bad.

Purchasing
L$ 255,000

US$ 1,015.94
Transaction Fee
US$ 1.49

US$ 1,017.43

and you keep talking about new residents.. how realistic with those amounts, they don't even have money for a pair of new shoes.....

your system of flipping with a half empty wallet doesn't work anymore... tháts hurting you, people who want to buy just a plot of land will bid on the next one when they miss the first.

1 minute ago, Alwin Alcott said:

and you keep talking about new residents.. how realistic with those amounts, they don't even have money for a pair of new shoes.....

your system of flipping with a half empty wallet doesn't work anymore... tháts hurting you, people who want to buy just a plot of land will bid on the next one when they miss the first.

Actually I don't flip, I have holdings for my groups and various stores. Im a land purchaser and I do quite alot of purchasing. New residents are effected because now these numbers can get even more out of control. Also Im not buying a thousand dollars in L$ to get stuck with it, if they are willing to refund me if I loose sure this is acceptable. Otherwise its unreasonable.

3 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Because... why?

As an individual landowner, I expect to win just as many auctions as I ever did. And if people aren't bidding against me with money they don't have, that'll be just fine with me.

(Also, just in passing, how is the L$ balance such a big deal, compared to the step-function demand for tier that comes from winning an auction? Sure, the L$s have to come from somewhere, and carrying a balance incurs cost of money instead of collecting all that juicy T-bill interest, but how is that even noticeable compared to having to either carry spare tier or get hit the next month with higher tier charges?)

Tier charges are absolutely minimal compared to being trapped with 1,000US in L$ for no reason now that you've lost the auction.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

This change sounds great for the Lindens, they get more transaction fees and people who don't win the auctions can't easily cash the purchased L$ in!

Great business model!

Yep, highway robbery and they don't care. Thus the tagging of lindens read at the top of the post. In reality its a terrible business model because less will be likely to play auctions. This will do the reverse of what they wanted.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, FailedScience said:

Tier charges are absolutely minimal compared to being trapped with 1,000US in L$ for no reason now that you've lost the auction.

It's not as if you've lost the US$1000 though. Carrying that balance is cost of doing business. Granted, "risk-free" T-bill rates aren't quite right -- there's some currency risk -- but still it's a few bucks a year. What's all the fuss?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Qie Niangao said:

It's not as if you've lost the US$1000 though. Carrying that balance is cost of doing business. Granted, "risk-free" T-bill rates aren't quite right -- there's some currency risk -- but still it's a few bucks a year. What's all the fuss?

Its exactly as if I lost 1000$ I only bid on plots that I've been waiting for to go on sale or not. Most of the time for years. Spending 1000$ on something youve been waiting for is not the same as spending 1000$ on money that you no longer have a use for as the plot has been bought. They are completely different things, I dont understand how you guys dont understand this aspect. The cost of doing business should not be to deter residents from buying land due to the risk that is involved. You want land prices to skyrocket... this is how land prices skyrocket.

I have no need for 255,000L$ i barely have any need for 10L$. I script in SL for free to help people. I buy land that I like to script on, to build on, and to have my friends use. If I'm reselling it my prices are already far lower then any land baron would ever think of selling land for. This now deters those like me who want to help secondlife grow rather then make money on selling over priced land for no reason. The land barons will make the market, they will make the prices, and they will make it so a new user does not buy new land. A new company won't set up shop. A new creation won't be made. You thought landsales presently were bad (they arent happening and most of the recent auction plots sit for years unused to to rediculous prices) Of course you have to pay attention to see what is happening around you... Which clearly everyone who has responded to this post doesn't do.

boycott auctions until they become better organized. thats the only real option here. im not gunna bid on two 150k plots in one auction and then loosing both. its absurd. absolutely absurd. idk how they didnt think that one through. or maybe they did and they want to rip their population off. Maybe a linden has a comment to say @Oz Linden I noticed you're following this topic... Any input?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FailedScience said:

No, you're just willing to pay incredible amounts to own G-rated land on the old Teen Grid, probably out of some Bush-administration-era nostalgia trip. You could get more useful land anywhere else for a fraction of the cost, but by all means do what you feel is important.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Personally I think this is a pretty ridiculous thread.  Their platform, THEIR RULES.  We choose to play or not. Simple as that. 

I had a friend trying to bid on some auction land a few months ago (before the tier changes) but found she was going to have to pay tier on the amount of land she was bidding on even if she didn't win -- so she didn't bid.  Personally I think that is "worse" than just having to amass the money to pay.

Likely a lot of winning bid folks didn't actually pay for the land -- hence that new rule.

I also noted in the small print at the end of the article that Group Land will not be able to be sold by private parties via upcoming auctions (not in use yet).  I don't even  know anyone that might want to do that BUT if you have more than a 1024 that would mean likely paying more tier for a month after transferring back to one of the land partners  in order to list your land at auction (not ALWAYS, but often). So that would certainly be a deciding factor for some. OR I guess the land could be divided up between partners into smaller chunks with no tier increase.  

So just like the cost to cash out increasing A LOT, this change will hurt "some people" and others not at all. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2106 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.