How to be a creator

N3r1da

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 162 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Successful creators in SL start with some talent and experience outside of SL. Much of the creative work of design, modeling, animating, scripting, and managing sounds is done outside of SL and imported, so it's important to be comfortable with the tools and work flow of creation.  Successful creators also need to know how to present their work in SL, which means understanding the in-world economy and how to market creative products and services.  All in all, becoming a creator in SL is not much different from becoming a creator anywhere. You'll find some basic classes in world at places like Builders Brewery, and you might consider classes in your RL community at a local community or tech college. Then practice a lot, make loads of mistakes, and share your work to get critical opinions from people who will be honest with you.

• Like 2

What has been stated previously is all good so not sure I could add much to it, except that no matter what you want to create whether just building within SL or creating something in another program i.e. mesh and importing it to SL,  it is a really good idea to learn the basics of the building tools in SL because an understanding of how things work in SL will help you big time no matter what you decide to create.  So yes, a good starting place might be basic building classes which you can get through The Builders Brewery.  The main thing of course is always to have fun!

• Like 2

Actually nothing hard or impossible you can start with basic simple stuff then by time you develop your self

you can browse and check second life market place site and see what other people do to get some inspiration ideas

i can help you teach you to create some products you just need photoshop to create textures and have to know some about buildings and then understand some open source scripts which I have tons of them

you are very welcome to contact me i world I would be very happy to help you

regards

Spider Mycron

• Like 1

Play!

Click that build menu Gadget mentioned, get yourself some copy enabled stuff to experiment with and fool around. Link flowers to a pot. Build yourself a car from a donut box with 4 donuts as wheels... play with the game engine to understand it's limits and capabilities.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Start making a store in Marketplace. 

https://strawberrysingh.com/2017/09/04/become-content-creator-second-life/

Of course you'll need so much more then just watch videos on youtube. (But try search around there too!) You need time, some money to invest in professional online classes, and a lot of practice. The easiest things to create in SL are tattoos, eyes and make-up, you can start looking for tutorials on yt to make these for body meshes and head, the "classic creator" is over, this market is dying. So, first of all, you need to "update" yourself to Body Mesh and Head too.

You'll need Blender to make Fitmeshes and a 3D program to model 3D objects or garments. Photoshop skill are welcome to make tattoos, make-up and eyes. You need to learn all those programs, and all these may not work very well if you don't develop your creative and follow certain trend that people consider "sellable/commercial".  Of course many creators don't do this for money, just for love, money is just the recognition of your good work. 

Edited by Lara Aulder

• 2 weeks later...

You will have to learn a 3D modeling software (Maya, 3DSMax, Blender and the likes) starting from the basics. I don't want to put you down, but hair is one of the most challenging things to make right, so I would suggest to start your learning experience from static objects, and then move onto hair later on, when you'll be more confident with the software you'll choose. Last piece of advice: for a proficient learning, scrap YT videos and buy a manual for beginners for the software you will use, or buy a course online. You will have time to expand your knowledge with YT videos when your foundations will be strong on the basics from manual/courses. Usually those videos assume you have quite solid background and/or leave gaps open for the untrained.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/23/2018 at 12:55 AM, OptimoMaximo said:

You will have to learn a 3D modeling software (Maya, 3DSMax, Blender and the likes) starting from the basics. I don't want to put you down, but hair is one of the most challenging things to make right, so I would suggest to start your learning experience from static objects, and then move onto hair later on, when you'll be more confident with the software you'll choose. Last piece of advice: for a proficient learning, scrap YT videos and buy a manual for beginners for the software you will use, or buy a course online. You will have time to expand your knowledge with YT videos when your foundations will be strong on the basics from manual/courses. Usually those videos assume you have quite solid background and/or leave gaps open for the untrained.

thank you so much !!

• 2 months later...

You may want to try FULL PERM HAIR for starters, too.  You can tint and texture it however you would like.

I put the lyrics of one of Kurt Cobain's songs in a full perm hair and it came out cute!

You can also buy full perm hair textures of all kinds and full perm hair sculpty bits too.

This advice is just for you to have fun experimenting, but it all leads to learning how to do "things" (i.e. tasks).

Just type in Marketplace search engine:  full perm hair, full perm hair textures...etc.  

Edited by FairreLilette

• 4 years later...
19 minutes ago, namula186 said:

Could I just take my drawings I do in RL an make them into paintings for in the game for people to enjoy or do'snt work that way?

You might be able to do that depending on how you plan to do it.  If your drawings are not on a computer you would have to scan them and get them onto your computer.  This can be done but you have to be very careful to get your edges even when you scan or it won't work out.  Once in the computer you can bring them into SL as a texture file which you can then put on a flattened prim or even in a fancy frame if you have any (you can buy those on MP).  And that is about it.  There are no guarantees as to the quality of the final product as scanning and uploading raw could cause some detail loss etc.  If  you have photoshop I would suggest tweaking the drawings there before uploading to SL.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2023 at 3:54 PM, namula186 said:

Could I just take my drawings I do in RL an make them into paintings for in the game for people to enjoy or do'snt work that way?

Pretty much, and I'll add to @Tazzie Tuque's reply.

I am a RL artist that does both large scale traditional commission pieces in my studio, as well as digital work with a Mac and the largest Wacom tablet you can buy.  For SL, I create a style of work that I don't really do in RL anymore except as exercises to warm up or just do in a zen-like way.

I can create these in a few hours at most on the Wacom in something like Krita, Rebelle, Painter etc and then colour correct them in Pixelmator Pro. Make sure you're using a standard ratio like 4:3, 3:2, 1:1 etc and max size 1024 pixels. So, 683x1024 etc. No filters, do not just take a photo and do filter stuff to it, these look horrible to me, and not AI either. Draw/paint it in the traditional way. Anyway ...

Once I've done colour correcting I export a decently high resolution version and Upload it to SL as a texture, and then apply it to one face of a flat prim that I texture otherwise with a nice birch wood pattern. Turn on full bright if you like (I do, more people have asked for that than not), and if you like grab a free or cheap resize script and drop that in. Take a copy of the object and voila, you have a painting.

If you have opened a store you can now upload it into your inventory, modify it's characteristics like price, description, quantity available, etc, and make it active and you now have a store with a painting for sale. Note that if you decide to only sell one of your painting (like real life) if you show it in world and in the Marketplace, there is no way to sell it in world and have it vanish from the store. It has to happen the other way round, and you have to manually go in world and remove it from your store wall.

Reach out in world if you have questions.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 162 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.