Locking old dead threads feature request.

Coffee Pancake

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1711 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

I can't believe any of the forum regs would do that. No really .. it's dumb.

Might not be a regular.. Just one of those old old "half a dozen one use forum alts over 12 years" types.

I remember on one forum, yars back, somebody made an account to post a 'special interest thread' about whatever (ice cream maybe?), and one of the regulars complained about how "does every special interest thread have ts have it's own forum account..."

Within 60 seconds of his post, somebody had made an account called "Special Interest Thread" and replied with "You have a problem with that?"

2 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Could be a relationship gone bad - find posts by your ex, reply to each as a form of harassment.

Hahaha... Nine 7-year necroposts, that's one hell of a grudge to chase up on...

3 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Hahaha... Nine 7-year necroposts, that's one hell of a grudge to chase up on...

Heav'n has no rage like love to hatred turn'd
nor Hell hath no fury like a 7 year avatar with blank profile and his full-shiny prim boy-bits scorned.

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Haha 6

Noo, not the lock the old thread feature! Don't you like history?

I'm also still waiting people to post on my thread i once started, 5 years is a long time to wait.:ph34r:;) It has lost one snapshot and one link somewhere, i see. Will put them back or repost if someone dares to post something there.

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/189157-add-something-to-a-snapshot/?tab=comments#comment-1390853

• Administrators

There are some old threads that are still very worth replying to, so unfortunately applying an auto lock feature is not something we are looking to add at this time. We understand that the necroing of old posts, can be incredibly annoying, and a little bit cluttering, but that is also why we have a team of awesome moderators. If you see someone necroing something that you feel shouldn't be, and adds no value to the conversation, please report it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

• 1 year later...

In an odd way, I feel like this kind of makes for an interesting counter point to calls against necroing threads.

I made that above comment in the middle of the night in jest after it was linked in the other thread about necroing, and it's still sitting at the top of this particular thread category. 

These forums are kind of slow moving, so,  a thread or two being risen from the grave from time to time is really impacting much when ya think about it.

18 hours ago, Digit Gears said:

In an odd way, I feel like this kind of makes for an interesting counter point to calls against necroing threads.

I made that above comment in the middle of the night in jest after it was linked in the other thread about necroing, and it's still sitting at the top of this particular thread category. 

These forums are kind of slow moving, so,  a thread or two being risen from the grave from time to time is really impacting much when ya think about it.

Well, the feature, as requested, would probably be okay. But generally-speaking, I don't see a problem with reviving an old thread *as long as* the new comment is useful, informational, adds something new. I presume most of the complaints about necro thread reviving is directed at those who revive an old thread with a simple "me, too" type comment. I can see how that is annoying. What I find funny are those who then reply to the original reviving comment only to scold them for reviving it, because they, the scoring party, are more important and authoritative (in their own minds).

I see it this way: if it's not against the rules then it's open season. If it annoys you then deal with it or whine about it, dealing with it makes you an adult; whining about it makes you a whiner.

Edited by Alyona Su

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1711 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.