Sign in to follow this  
Rachael Orsini

terrain import/export - issues

Hello there,

I was starting to play around with terrains and ran straight into issues, wondering if they are known issues and if there are solutions ...

Since I wanted to setup the whole sim- scene in Blender (latest version) I thought it was a good idea to download the terrain to work on it. I got the primstar-plugin for blender which allows .raw import and importing the .raw works fine, but exporting leads to a complete flat terrain (on the sim, as well when reimported in blender), so something goes wrong here. 

The primstar latest version is rather old so I tried again using an older version of Blender (2.59) and here the export works.... well ... sortof.

When looking closer at the imported terrain on the sim and comparing it to the reference in blender, it appears rather rough, even the parts that are absolutely smooth in blender. But thats not the only issue: the general accuracy appears to be lacking. Some points differ a whole meter of height from the reference in blender. Since I wanted to align offsim-sculpties perfectly to the terrain this is a big problem for me ... 

I wonder if these accuracy issues are bugs or if the fileformat used for export limits it? if the latter is the case then I can sortof bin the whole project ...

Maybe someone could shed some light on this? Or maybe someone knows other tools for working with terrain .raws?

Many thanks!

Edited by Rachael Orsini

A great tool to work with terrains is The World Machine. The free version allows export for up to 513 square pixels, which is what SL needs.

However, i wonder if you did respect the limitations of number of vertices you can work with for a SL terraina and, moreover, did you sculpt the terrain locking the X and Y brush displacement? Gaia has a couple of tutorials about this plug-in use, anyway. I'd suggest reviewing them if the answer to the previous two questions is "no" :) 

Edited by OptimoMaximo
  • Like 1

Just wanted to note in a "not Blender" part of the equation that the last terrain that I downloaded via the viewer and then TRIED to have someone install at LEA6 -- failed miserably.  I was told that this was happening often (this was six months ago).  So I edited the flat sim by hand which was just fine. 

So there MAY be issues aside from the Blender ones.  You might want to test a regular install of raw file if that is possible. I had done this before and it was "close" if not perfect. There too I had areas pop up as bumps that were not on the land inworld. 

Hello Optimo, thanks for the hint, will take a look at this tool. 

Yes I respected the limitation and only touched the z-axis. I did some further tests now and it seems that the uploaded raw data gets processed in some way, hence the terrain differs somewhat from the reference. Guess thats not a problem in most cases but I hoped i can rely 100% on the reference in blender which is not the case :(

I created a bit of an extrem example to illustrate:

Screenshot of terrain in Blender

The exported raw in PS for checking, looks fine

Screenshot of the terrain in SL .... yuck, look at the ringing!

Wonder if I should file a Jira ticket ... uploaded raws should not be cooked (processed)

To "fix" the rings a little

• Open landscape...
  • Without selecting any land at all choose smooth, set the strength to about 1/3 of the way
  • Press apply.

But also be aware that with the limitations of landscaping anything more than a few meters terrain cliff will cause huge jaggy problems due to rounding errors and the way terrain actually works. You are never going to get this landscape (as your dropbox screenshot shows) correct.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=e5f5edf17e7ad1aaterrainSl.thumb.png.f37ea2ed9483bbebacfcbcf1fa8661c5.png

Edited by Callum Meriman

Thanks Chip and Callum. I wonder if theres a way to make your own terrain. I'm willing to sacrifice lots of prims for it but. A 64x64m mesh-tile with the same number of vertices as terrain  would eat around 250 prims and I'd need 16 to cover a sim, so that is too much. A 12x12m sculpty would cover the same texture resolution as the terrain, so I'd need ~450 sculpties to cover the sim. Still insane even if I'd happily spend so many prims. Guess I have to try and experiment more .... 

You CAN make reasonably good mesh terrains with low land impact.  I have both "walkable hills" and "landforms" in my store and MP.  Not going to link to the page since this isn't an add, but the secret of course is to KEEP IT SIMPLE so that the PHYSICS can be simple. 

I just looked up the walkable hills (not what you are making but are both 32 and 64 meters square and they are 20 land impact). The waklable plateaus are 15 to 20 land impact up to 64 meters. So you COULD do this. BUT getting those puppies aligned and STAYING aligned will be tricky.

7 hours ago, Rachael Orsini said:

I wonder if theres a way to make your own terrain. I'm willing to sacrifice lots of prims for it but. A 64x64m mesh-tile with the same number of vertices as terrain  would eat around 250 prims and I'd need 16 to cover a sim, so that is too much.

Generally you won't make it with the same number of vertices, but it will still eat into your prims, especially on a homestead.

As you show in your photo with the huge cliffs, it's the sort of thing I would use mesh landforms for, either my own or cliffs from Skye or Fanatik (and many others) for.

Other tricks are to do it mostly in terrain, using sloped land rather then hard drops and just build the paths in mesh/prim.