'bake on mesh' geek speak. video please?

Tenly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2118 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Im trying to understand how this 'bake on mesh'  affects me the user and how its used by me. How would I know if I have something in my inventory that needs to be "baked on" to my mesh body? Im totally confused by all of it. Is there a video somewhere that can show me how I would apply this baked on mesh? Or maybe its really how to bake my own textures onto my mesh body? I have plenty of things I made for myself to wear before mesh bodies. also own tons of "classic" clothing. does this baking geek speak allow me to wear those on my belleza body? Or is it only baked on mesh ready bodies? 

Id love to know how to apply my jeans and my lingerie to my mesh body. I own belleza and TMP. Have at least 3 mesh heads and would love to be able to "bake" my makeup onto my heads. 

help. please and thank you!

appending my own note. found this video. and popping it in here for anyone else that has been as confused as me about this issue.

Edited by Tenly

Hi!

The first thing to note is that Bakes isn't fully released yet, so if you do any sort of bakes on the mesh, it'll look funny to anyone not using the project viewer.

Second is, that you will need the BoM project viewer. 

Once you've gotten on your project viewer, you can change meshes to BoM manually if they are mod in the texture tab of the edit window. If your meshes are NOT mod, the easiest way to enable it is to use an applier to apply the BoM uuids.  If you have Omega Installed, you can use the free ones I tossed in here: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Omega-Add-Ons-Applier-FixerConverters/10734638 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fionalein said:

Just a silly question: will TP viewers be able to render BOM without updates or will we have big laughs when early adopters get kicked out of their favourite jazz club for "No greenskins allowed"?

They'll need to update but the major TPV's have been releasing major changes like this (Bento, etc.) pretty quickly lately. Generally TPV's are allowed to start releasing new technology once it hits a Linden Lab release candidate viewer, which means before it becomes the Linden Lab default.

• Like 1

Hey Tenly.  Hopefully this video will help, it sure helped me!  It simplifies things more.  And, the Omega store inworld has them for FREE on the table !!!  Go get one.  With me being a noob, the problem is that the "gift" comes in a locked script form that you have to use to make a HUD.  Still trying to figure out how to make a HUD.  Got the prim down, just don't know how to insert the script from my inventory.  Have fun with it !  ;)

While knowledge is certainly important it is also important to remember that this project isn't VIABLE yet. It is still in testing phase. It isn't in the Linden regular release viewer now  and we don't know when that will happen. 

MUCH like when Mesh came out (what? seven years ago? Just a guess) it won't be very useful until ---

A. Firestorm has it in its viewer so that 75 percent or so of the public at large can SEE the new feature.

B. Creators update their goods to  BakesOnMesh compatibility.

So right NOW, while it is exciting to know it is coming --- it is just that, coming.

Those that were around when Mesh was introduced can remember how really UGLY things were for awhile for most folks. Remember that you need a BOM VIEWER for this to work just like you needed a mesh enabled viewer to see mesh or a Bento enabled viewer to see Bento.  As I understand it the whole point is to get rid of all the onionskin layers (faster downloading) and make Omega relays a thing of the past. 

So personally, I am not too worried about what is happening as they work on it. Looking forward to it being mainstream in the months to come (hopefully :D).

On 7/6/2018 at 3:43 PM, Theresa Tennyson said:

They'll need to update but the major TPV's have been releasing major changes like this (Bento, etc.) pretty quickly lately. Generally TPV's are allowed to start releasing new technology once it hits a Linden Lab release candidate viewer, which means before it becomes the Linden Lab default.

Just wanted to note that while the TPVs often have the code to integrate I have heard Jessica mention many times that they were not allowed to release their updated viewers until the Linden viewer came out with the new "Linden" features in the default viewer. If this has changed recently then I am sure Whirly will let us know.   (see below) 

Not a biggie as I suspect they will both be fairly close together (fingers crossed anyway). There is of course the Firestorm TESTING viewer that would be available before the major release. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
updating

9 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Just wanted to note that while the TPVs often have the code to integrate I have heard Jessica mention many times that they were not allowed to release their updated viewers until the Linden viewer came out with the new "Linden" features in the default viewer. If this has changed recently then I am sure Whirly will let us know.    

Not a biggie as I suspect they will both be fairly close together (fingers crossed anyway). There is of course the Firestorm TESTING viewer that would be available before the major release. 

TPVs are allowed to release with a Linden feature once the feature is in an RC (Release Candidate) viewer.
We are not allowed to release a feature that's only available in a project viewer.
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alternate_Viewers

Firestorm already has the Bakes on Mesh code merged in - https://bitbucket.org/Ansariel/phoenix-firestorm-lgpl-baking-updates/commits/all
If you can compile your own viewer then you are welcome to build that & have Bakes on Mesh in Firestorm right now.

I suspect that when LL release BOM, Firestorm will swiftly put out a public beta viewer, so it gets into the users hands asap. This is what we did when Bento was released. We will likely do the same with Animesh too.

Ansariel is the FS developer that does all the merges with the Linden Lab code.
The code merges are public & can all be found here for self compilers - https://bitbucket.org/Ansariel/
If anyone is looking for Animesh, it's here: https://bitbucket.org/Ansariel/phoenix-firestorm-lgpl-axon/commits/all

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2118 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.