Mesh Heads (yes I know!!!!_)

BelindaN

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2044 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

18 hours ago, Klytyna said:

Utilizator Normie, L$ 500 on the MP, demo available, Bento head, does not include the L$ 4500 "MegaLips Extender" addon that's fitted by default to some more... Fashionable... Heads such as Duckwa or LeTroutka... ;) 

i legit giggled in rl

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lara Aulder said:

CATWA (CATYA AND LONA) = PROS Have more options for skins, make-up, add-on, shapes, that can be all the differences for you to make more "unique" shape. CATYA is the most popular one, in my opinion has better slides to modify. Lona follows more the "kawaii" shape / personality. Has the better face animations too. AGAINST "Duck Lips" Not ugly anyway, not a problem as well, you get used to.

LELUTKA (SIMONE) = Few good selection of skins and make-up ONLY, but they kind of follow certain of the standard in the shapes, is like you always know when someone is using Simone's head. The eyes slide it's not too good, specially the corners. Fits very good for a "Top Model" shape / personality. I think a very elegant head with good face animations as well. 

AKEKURA heads is the new sweetheart on moment, for me, is similar with Lelutka, has a few good skins (not so much make-up), I just dont like the face animations, my taste, still a good head.

I also recommend LAQ heads, (SCARLET) they are very beautiful with nice quality, the good thing is a head cost less than L500 and the HUD can be used for all heads and it costs less than the others above. Not so much options in make-up and others, but they're cute. Fits for a kawaii/petite shape or a model/curvy.

OTHER HEADS Honestly I don't think it worth buy a "cheap" or a "non popular" head cause there's not too options and not as much quality. It worth you save some money or open your wallet a little bit cause its totally a investment to this new generation, so why dont start in good style  Better buy a thing you're gonna use a lot, than a thing you're gonna forget in your inventory. 

Some poeple choose "non popular" heads only because they are not popular. They don't want to look like clones ya know. And for some people budget is pretty limited.

• Like 3

On 2018.07.6. at 9:08 PM, Rhonda Huntress said:

These are the ones I am personally familiar with ...

Akeruka - http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Akeruka/141/134/22
I have not played with these since the new HUD.  It was mostly because of the controls on their old HUD that I went for other heads.

Catwa - (you have the slurl) - Top seller.  Their Catya head is seen everywhere :)  I wore a few Catwa heads pre-bento but never got comfortable with Catwa's controls.  No one had facial animations like Catwa back then which helped them solidify their place as the top brand heads even through the duck lip styles. Lots of choices, lots of options, lots of 3rd party content made specifically for Catwa heads. 

LAQ - http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/LAQ/165/66/30  
Relatively new to the head market.  Any Omega applier work without needing a relay; the heads are designed to use Omega as their native UV map.  As a bonus, you only need to buy a control HUD one time and it will work (including any saved information) with any LAQ head.  This lets Mallory price the heads lower since they are not tied to additional controls.  I find LAQ heads to be a little on the large side and work best with round faces.

LeLutka - http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/LeLutka/122/137/24 
My personal favorite.  That's LeLutka's Simone head doing the wink and tongue thing on my forum pic.  The additional animation like that are usable with any of their bento heads so you only buy the add on once and then "inject" them into any head.

LOGO -- My first mesh head.  I only mention them because I have used them before but I have not kept up with what they have done since so could not really give an objective opinion now.

LOGO Alex was my first head, i loved it! If only i knew hes gonna make Bento Alexis i wouldnt have switched to Catwa but oh well. I don't want to eat instant noodles for a month like someone here suggested.

Edited by Jeny Howlett
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

The look is far more important to me than the available animations.

Don't overlook the benefit of a good animation override. It can make a big difference to the lifelike look of a head. Our faces are not static in real life; we blink and move our mouths all the time, and a good AO should be the same. Talking animations should also be realistic.

Edited by angeoco
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeny Howlett said:

Some poeple choose "non popular" heads only because they are not popular. They don't want to look like clones ya know. And for some people budget is pretty limited.

Is all about quality, why some heads sells more than others, of course there's always options for limited budges, I just don't think it worth it, save some money, eat instant noodles for months (lol) Which is a joke, by the way, funny that I have to edit to say it's a joke, or you REALLY THINK someone could live eating noodles for months just to buy a head? Clearly someones priorities needs to be reevaluated LOL xD You can choose be yourself or be influenced by bloggers or follow some tendency by creators propose in fashion or "modeling", you can choose if you want to be different or a clone, the others details makes the difference for me.

Edited by Lara Aulder
in red
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lara Aulder said:

Is all about quality, why some heads sells more than others, of course there's always options for limited budges, I just don't think it worth it, save some money, eat instant noodles for months (lol). You can choose be yourself or be influenced by bloggers or follow some tendency by creators propose in fashion or "modeling", you can choose if you want to be different or a clone, the others details makes the difference for me.

ill refrain from commenting further because i disgree with this kind of elitist attitude , sorry

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sheesh, I have so many: Catwa (three), LOGO (my first), even the inexpensive Utilizator Normie head. As for Genesis Lab: they always sucked, feature-wise and regarding consistency and quality.

However, The new Genesis Lab Bento heads are great and, the way I see it, offer the most flexibility during purchase, though they aren't;t cheap. I mention this because it was a learning process for me and I think it would be helpful for any shopper to know:

With Genesis Lab, you need to shop in-world; their Market Place is abysmal.

• Grab a demo of every head (and they come BLANK; no skin)
  • Grab a demo of each skin (this will be your initial starting face)

Take these demos and follow this process:

• Wear the first demo head, apply the same shade color of each face (skin) to it - take a MUG shot and profile to compare (save to disk, obviously)
  • Wear the second head, Apply the same shade color of each face (skin) to it... 
  • Rinse and repeat!

With this process, you can get the perfect look before you even buy (or decide it's not for you) - then tweak it to make it "you".

The head is L$4,000. the Face (skin) is L$500, and the mesh body appliers are L$200. So, on-par with the cost of a Catwa, though far more variety in faces (it's amazing how those skins can change the look of the head, I suspect it also uses depth-maps to help with that. AND because of this: you will be limited to the skins compatible (which are mostly at GL shop).

As for Catwa, I am so tired of the Duck-Face look they all have, except for the new Steffi head, which seems to me to be a badly-needed departure for Catwa. Just my own thought on it. :)

Oh, and my Profile picture is with the Genesis "Lena" head with the "Fei" face in "Milk" shade. And I am loving it!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jeny Howlett said:

ill refrain from commenting further because i disgree with this kind of elitist attitude , sorry

O-k you don't need to be sorry, I don't feel offended because its so contradictory and hypocritical anyway. So, rest in peace respect. 

Au Revoir.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeny Howlett said:

If someone really thinks you look like a clone, because you wear a bento head from a big brand, then they never had a bento head in their hands or any skill for shape editing in their mind. I'm a LeLutka user and I can confirm, I'm not a member of a clone army.

• Like 7

I'll never get it why people make sure to expose their hate for brands over how their lips look, or the mesh shape or anything, that's exclusively a matter of personal taste, so it doesn't fit in this topic, what's important here is the extra resources each head has and what they offer in exchange to what they charge. The looks will depend greatly on shape, skin and whatever taste OP has. Absolutely no reason for sassy-disguised mean comments.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Don't forget, LAQ skins are all Omega, too.

Anyway, you have lots of options for look, number of required pieces and HUD controls. Pick the one that is right for you.

LAQ skins are not all Omega.  There is a selection of Omega based LAQ skins.  You need to make sure you read the ads carefully if you are looking to only purchase Omega based skins.

I've had a really good day today in the malls......

After trying out the hair demos, I ended up buying more than I planned.......*coughs*..........nine in total.:x9_9

Is there a cure for this affliction?

So I'm still waiting for a clear time slot to try my demo heads.......three Catwas, two Lelutkas, and two from Mayreal. Not a brand I've heard of, but close to the look I'm after.

You know, after a couple of days in-world at the beginning I didn't know if it was for me..................................... Then I found the marketplace and it started to make sense. But I didn't really expect the SL experience to become so much fun. And so addictive...........

I spend time in RL looking forward to returning, and planning my next big thing. It's really lovely!!!:D

I hope it lasts!!

• Like 4

Here's an update............ I found an hour this morning and started out with the two Lelutka demos, Cate and Chloe. The HUD is amazing, and I quickly discovered that Chloe was closer to what I want than Cate, so I spent more time on Chloe. The skin match is excellent. It's worth mentioning that when you wear the new head, it adopts the slider values in place, so looks terrible first off........:x

The images which follow are just for a guide. The first is my current look, and what I'm broadly aiming for.

The second is Cate - not too much time spent on Cate and I didn't match the skin. Both Lelukas have heavy eyebrows, can these be edited? I couldn't see how................

Cate does look a bit 'blokey' set up like this......not a great look. They both look similar in the images, but Chloe is softer and I know I can work on her.

So quite a promising start, and I'm gaining confidence rapidly.

Best advice so far? Write down all the slider numbers for your number 1 look, then you can easily restore. I can't remember who said this, but that is definitely a top tip.

Tomorrow I can work a few more demos...........9_9

secondlife 27 portrait.jpg

secondlife 31 portrait Lelutks Cate.jpg

secondlife 33 portrait Lelutka Chloe.jpg

• Like 2

Each head model reacts in its own way to shape settings, so when demoing a head you should start with the shape supplied with the demo, and adjust it to your taste. Then if/when you buy a head, go back to your previous system-head shape, write down the shape settings for the non-head parts of the body, then switch to the head shape and apply the settings you wrote down.

It seems the default skins with the Lelutka heads (I tried the Simone demo) include eyebrows, and you can also add an eyebrow layer using the HUD or an applier, so to get lighter eyebrows you would need to either get a skin with light eyebrows, or one with no eyebrows and use the HUD or a separate eyebrows applier.

you can always demo extra shapes :) I noticed that Cate is rejected by many as you say, because of looking "blokey" but I think it is all about the right shape. I had been wearing Simone with a shape I had bought for that head for long time (pre-bento and bento) and when Cate was released and I tried it, I fell in love immediately, still wearing a shape for Simone. 

what is nice with Lelutkas is that the skin always matches Maitreya (both using Glamm Affair as default) so you can save on skins if you like default look. And a shape is still cheaper than a good skin. 

Edited by Kotelle
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2018 at 10:52 AM, Alyona Su said:

Sheesh, I have so many: Catwa (three), LOGO (my first), even the inexpensive Utilizator Normie head. As for Genesis Lab: they always sucked, feature-wise and regarding consistency and quality.

However, The new Genesis Lab Bento heads are great and, the way I see it, offer the most flexibility during purchase, though they aren't;t cheap. I mention this because it was a learning process for me and I think it would be helpful for any shopper to know:

With Genesis Lab, you need to shop in-world; their Market Place is abysmal.

• Grab a demo of every head (and they come BLANK; no skin)
  • Grab a demo of each skin (this will be your initial starting face)

Take these demos and follow this process:

• Wear the first demo head, apply the same shade color of each face (skin) to it - take a MUG shot and profile to compare (save to disk, obviously)
  • Wear the second head, Apply the same shade color of each face (skin) to it... 
  • Rinse and repeat!

With this process, you can get the perfect look before you even buy (or decide it's not for you) - then tweak it to make it "you".

The head is L$4,000. the Face (skin) is L$500, and the mesh body appliers are L$200. So, on-par with the cost of a Catwa, though far more variety in faces (it's amazing how those skins can change the look of the head, I suspect it also uses depth-maps to help with that. AND because of this: you will be limited to the skins compatible (which are mostly at GL shop).

As for Catwa, I am so tired of the Duck-Face look they all have, except for the new Steffi head, which seems to me to be a badly-needed departure for Catwa. Just my own thought on it. :)

Oh, and my Profile picture is with the Genesis "Lena" head with the "Fei" face in "Milk" shade. And I am loving it!

I have to agree with this..

I've been trying out the Genesis labs and really  enjoying the 3.0's

I'm not so crazy about their body skins though..I had to shop around to see if I could find one that I liked that didn't leave me wearing a choker.. Although I still have some body tweaking that might help some.

I came close but still looking..I wish we could tweak out Maitreya skin tones just a little, just to get over the hill of leaving that fine line on our necks..hehehe

The GL's are really the only place that I've found that work best for me so far..

I'm dying for the Genus Project release..I was burning up in world and the market and the group just trying to find  the demo.. I missed it by a few days..

But ,that's how I ended up finding out about Genesis Labs and what they have available..

I seen Jade and Halle and was like,now this is more like it.. I can work with this \o/ hehehe

Catwa and the others,not counting LOGO,haven't really ever gotten me that excited with the results after I've messed with them..They just came up kind of short on when I'm trying to adjust something for the final touches..

I don't go for a bunch of different looks..I'm just trying to get as close as I can to myself..So that plays a big factor in why the others haven't really work  too well for me..

But that's just me..

I'll keep the others for when I feel like messing around with different looks

Logo was about the closest I could find until recently in Genesis Labs..

I've only just recently discovered them and,they are a little bit more work to put together and find things for and cost a little more..But the hunt is half the fun..I just needed the pallet and the possibility of achieving what I want..I got really excited when I see what was possible with them..

Anyways,my rambling is finished now..

I'm just exited..hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci

7 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I don't go for a bunch of different looks..I'm just trying to get as close as I can to myself..So that plays a big factor in why the others haven't really work  too well for me..

But that's just me..

I believe *most* mesh heads in SL are good quality work, even the L$500 Utilizator Normie head. It just comes down to what you're looking for - in the general face (duck-face included LOL) and then the 'features" in terms of animations, customizability, etc.

I do concur: the shopping (a.k.a. hunt) is definitely a large part of the fun.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I believe *most* mesh heads in SL are good quality work, even the L$500 Utilizator Normie head. It just comes down to what you're looking for - in the general face (duck-face included LOL) and then the 'features" in terms of animations, customizability, etc.

I do concur: the shopping (a.k.a. hunt) is definitely a large part of the fun.

Oh yea,most of the heads are really nice..I Don't want anyone to think I am trying to knock them or anything..

I'm just glad I found one that really fits what I want to do with it for my look.. There are so many beautiful looks that people have created  from those others head,that it inspired me to move to mesh..Something that at one point I said I wouldn't ever do..

I'm really glad I made the switch..It's so much fun and the results from the heads seem so much better..

It seems like every time I'll look on the market or on someones flikr, there is a new look someone created that just makes me stop and say,Now this is really beautiful..

It's kind of like one of those ,just when I think I've seen it all moments, where I get blown away and see that I haven't seen it all..

So many beautiful avatars..

It was so much harder before to become more unique compared to what we can achieve now..

That's my opinion anyways..:)

Edited by Ceka Cianci

I really find it hard to see some of the comments about ‘duck face or lips etc’ from the pic the woman has posted as what she wants seems like she has no objection to the terms other people are calling that look.

Everyone has their own look, it’s so wrong to say that what one person sees as attractive is wrong. It’s free choice. 

Personally I love my Catwa head I don’t think I have said ‘duck face’ or whatever. If you want a different look it’s fine, but don’t put down the effort that creators have made unless you can do better. 

4 minutes ago, Laika Ravikumar said:

I really find it hard to see some of the comments about ‘duck face or lips etc’ from the pic the woman has posted as what she wants seems like she has no objection to the terms other people are calling that look.

Everyone has their own look, it’s so wrong to say that what one person sees as attractive is wrong. It’s free choice. 

Personally I love my Catwa head I don’t think I have said ‘duck face’ or whatever. If you want a different look it’s fine, but don’t put down the effort that creators have made unless you can do better. 

Myself,I really don't even know what the duck look is..

I remember what the duck walk was though.. I ran around with that walk for  the first year until I found out about how neat AO's were..hehehe

If people are talking about the middle image above..That just happens when you take the camera controls out of their default boundaries and zoom in real close..

If you don't ctrl 8 back out again,it gives a scoped view where things get stretched out the more you look from the center..

If I focused on my neck and then panned out a little,my arms would look like  they were really long and my elbows massive..

That's just camera needing reset again..Backing out with ctrl 8 resets it..

Another hour spent on Chloe and the results are good. Still not sure about those brows though. Can't get them any less obvious although at least they are blonde!

See what you think - compare to image 3 in my last post........

secondlife 33 portrait Lelutka Chloe 3.jpg

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2044 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.