Mesh Heads (yes I know!!!!_)

BelindaN

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2044 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

OK, me yet again.

So, I've had a few days to surf the forums, and I've been absorbing all the Avi images in the vanity threads..................

Oh wow........you girls are a really bad influence on me. I'm happy with my look, and even if I go mesh, I would like to try to keep the look, but some of these mesh faces are soooo gorgeous, that it's starting to pull at me.............

I can see that there will be lots of fun playing with "the look"...

I have the landmarks for CATWA and Esode, but you talk of others. Do the other sellers have in world malls? If so can somebody post the landmarks please.

Is it then as easy as bu a head eg CATWA, buy a skin eg Esode, and job done???

Nothing has been that easy so far..........:x

There are lots of makers of mesh heads, and each one typically has a few models, to make sure we don't all end up looking the same! The best resource is probably Strawberry Singh's blog, as well as Mesh Body Addicts. The main dividing line is Bento and non-Bento; Bento heads can be customised far more though are more expensive. Regarding price, you can pay anywhere between 500 and 5,000 L$; the expensive ones tend to have more "extras" included in their HUDs while with the cheaper ones you buy generic extras like animations and Omega appliers for skins and makeup. The important thing is to take your time and demo all the heads that interest you to make sure you can customise them to your requirements. All makers that I know of have in-world shops, with demos available. Most of them also sell on the Marketplace, where they have links to their in-world shops. You will need to get a skin applier that matches your mesh body, if you don't already have a suitable full-body skin, but some heads have bundled skins that match the default skins of popular mesh bodies (e.g. I think Lelutka skins match Maitreya default skins). Nearly all mesh heads support Omega appliers, but you will most likely need to get an Omega relay for the head in order to use Omega skins/makeup.

Don't worry, it's simpler than it sounds. :)

Edited by angeoco

Demo till you can't stand it then demo some more.  Look for head that comes close to how you want your finished look to be.  The sliders can do a lot, but there are some areas they can't completely redo on mesh.  I.E., if you want a longer Grecian profile, don't start with a tiny pug nose, if you prefer thinner lips don't chose a head where they are really thick.  Demo with various skins also if you can.  A skin can make 2 people using the same heads and sliders look completely different.

Added:  Also use the shape they provide with the demo.  Your underlying head shape will make the head look vastly different then the vendor ad, sometimes even truly ugly.  Once you choose a head, you can easily put your current body slider numbers into the new shape, then slowly tweak the head to a look you like.

Edited by Sandy Schnook
  • Like 1

Lelutka, LAQ, Catwa, Akeruka, Genesis Labs, Ga.Eg (I think?), Vista, LOGO, various others I can't go of right now. All at different price points, with different features. Most have their own store; they're not really considered into a mall or shopping center. TP over to each and demo, demo, demo!

Unlike most demo shapes, the demo shapes for most heads are MOD. The selling point is the head, not the shape, so the provided base shape can be modified. Do it. When you demo, wear and manipulate that shadow to see if you can get the features close to what you want. Will the lips go small/big enough? Are the eyes able to slant or unslant enough? Will the nose tip narrow or widen the way you prefer? I usually do this in broad motions - if I max out "narrow" on the lip slider and they're still too thick, it's not the right head for me. Then, once you've found one you can work with and purchased, you can fine tune. 

• Like 1

Thanks all for the advice so far. Yeah it looks like a lot of fun messing with the demo's.

I'll need to find a nice quiet slot somewhere in RL (no interruptions) so that I can do this properly. I'm really looking forward to the change. The change from a system body to a mesh body was incredible, and a lot easier in the end than I expected!!!

These are the ones I am personally familiar with ...

Akeruka - http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Akeruka/141/134/22
I have not played with these since the new HUD.  It was mostly because of the controls on their old HUD that I went for other heads.

Catwa - (you have the slurl) - Top seller.  Their Catya head is seen everywhere :)  I wore a few Catwa heads pre-bento but never got comfortable with Catwa's controls.  No one had facial animations like Catwa back then which helped them solidify their place as the top brand heads even through the duck lip styles. Lots of choices, lots of options, lots of 3rd party content made specifically for Catwa heads. 

LAQ - http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/LAQ/165/66/30  
Relatively new to the head market.  Any Omega applier work without needing a relay; the heads are designed to use Omega as their native UV map.  As a bonus, you only need to buy a control HUD one time and it will work (including any saved information) with any LAQ head.  This lets Mallory price the heads lower since they are not tied to additional controls.  I find LAQ heads to be a little on the large side and work best with round faces.

LeLutka - http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/LeLutka/122/137/24 
My personal favorite.  That's LeLutka's Simone head doing the wink and tongue thing on my forum pic.  The additional animation like that are usable with any of their bento heads so you only buy the add on once and then "inject" them into any head.

LOGO -- My first mesh head.  I only mention them because I have used them before but I have not kept up with what they have done since so could not really give an objective opinion now.

3 hours ago, Sylvannas Zulaman said:

If you want a look closer to the system head you might wanna try the Mayreal heads. They are cheaper and they have a similar appearance to the system.

Or Tonic, or GA.EG, Vista, Logo, 3Doo or Akeruka, all those heads come with less botox than the Calutkas.

also try out third party animation vendours like Chrysanthemum or Happy Dispatch with the  domo heads - most heads share a similar rigging and animatiosn are somewhat exchangable - some heads are just way off the mainstream though.

Edited by Fionalein

2 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

You are asking all the right questions. 

We could take all the threads you have started and put them together in one place; then anyone who comes here wanting to know how to start with mesh we could point them to it.

Can't we ask them Linden benevolent overlords to merge them threads? For the benefit of future residents? Sounds like somthing we could try... but if OP would ask to merge them I think they might be more inclined to follow that request.

Edited by Fionalein

Utilizator Normie, L$ 500 on the MP, demo available, Bento head, does not include the L$ 4500 "MegaLips Extender" addon that's fitted by default to some more... Fashionable... Heads such as Duckwa or LeTroutka... ;) 

• Haha 4

I personally like GA.EG -- L$ 2800 for one of their heads plus whatever you want to spend on cosmetic and other rigged or fitted add-ons like piercings and so on. What sold me was the lips, which you could turn into duckish flappers if you want, but wasn't quite so resting b**** face looking by default as some of the other heads. I liked my system head look and found it closest to the look I was going for. They do have an inworld store and a good demo available there with pretty much all of their add-ons included to demo as well. It's here: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/GAELINE CREATIONS/36/52/29 

You can find often inworld stores from sellers' marketplace listings.

It is really up to you which head you find most appealing, just do spend some time demoing! You will suffer less buyer's remorse that way, even if it means being a bit patient. If I happened to have a dedicated pay pig in my purse I'd buy a few more, including some Catwa heads, because they do have the broadest range of cosmetics designers making stuff for them. But I don't so I won't.

• Thanks 1

The Steffi head has really smaller lips than other Catwa heads. https://www.flickr.com/photos/53013200@N04/27009248687/in/dateposted/

We can like or dislike Catwa... it is a fact that she has the lion's share of the market and for those who will buy things without searching, you find Catwa products everywhere.

Buying more Catwa heads only make it worse.... I know. I love my LeLutka head, still I hate the fact that if I want a bit more creative hairbase, I must use the tattoo layer and then I can't use anything more on the whole face like freckles, moles or blush, because there is just one tattoo layer....

It is MUCH more easy with the Alts who has Catwa heads. Pile on with stuff. All slots is double. Hairbases, eyebrows, eyelashes, lipstick, tattoos, almost all I can imagine fits in.

But, there is that "Bake on Mesh" that is promised to come this year. I hold back on buying a 5000 L head now. I don't know if the heads I have now, is going to be updated for free, or if I have to buy new heads.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Project_BakesOnMesh/5.1.3.513936

Edit: Here is a better thread for Bake on Mesh.

I am happy I still have my old tattoo makeups! But the waiting is TERRIBLE!

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

But, there is that "Bake on Mesh" that is promised to come this year. I hold back on buying a 5000 L head now. I don't know if the heads I have now, is going to be updated for free, or if I have to buy new heads.

If you dont mind unused onion space cluttering your complexity apparently you will be able to omega apply bakes on anthing that is omega-compatible. So AFAIK no updates needed for bakes.

Edited by Fionalein

CATWA (CATYA AND LONA) = PROS Have more options for skins, make-up, add-on, shapes, that can be all the differences for you to make more "unique" shape. CATYA is the most popular one, in my opinion has better slides to modify. Lona follows more the "kawaii" shape / personality. Has the better face animations too. AGAINST "Duck Lips" Not ugly anyway, not a problem as well, you get used to.

LELUTKA (SIMONE) = Few good selection of skins and make-up ONLY, but they kind of follow certain of the standard in the shapes, is like you always know when someone is using Simone's head. The eyes slide it's not too good, specially the corners. Fits very good for a "Top Model" shape / personality. I think a very elegant head with good face animations as well. 

AKEKURA heads is the new sweetheart on moment, for me, is similar with Lelutka, has a few good skins (not so much make-up), I just dont like the face animations, my taste, still a good head.

I also recommend LAQ heads, (SCARLET) they are very beautiful with nice quality, the good thing is a head cost less than L500 and the HUD can be used for all heads and it costs less than the others above. Not so much options in make-up and others, but they're cute. Fits for a kawaii/petite shape or a model/curvy.

OTHER HEADS Honestly I don't think it worth buy a "cheap" or a "non popular" head cause there's not too options and not as much quality. It worth you save some money or open your wallet a little bit cause its totally a investment to this new generation, so why dont start in good style  Better buy a thing you're gonna use a lot, than a thing you're gonna forget in your inventory. 

Edited by Lara Aulder
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lara Aulder said:

LELUTKA (SIMONE) = Few good selection of skins and make-up ONLY, but they kind follow certain of standard in the shapes, the EYES slides it's not too good, specially the corners. Fits very good for a "Top Model" shape/personality. I think a very elegant head with good face animations as well. hehe

Good, that they have more heads than just Simone... ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Lara Aulder said:

OTHER HEADS Honestly I don't think it worth buy a "cheap" or a "non popular" head cause there's not too options and not as much quality. It worth you save some money or open your wallet a little bit cause its totally a investment to this new generation, so why dont start in good style :) Better buy a thing you're gonna use a lot, than a thing you're gonna forget in your inventory. 

that's what we got Omega for ;)

Only dealbreaker can be animations but you can test the animation compatibility to major brands at 3rd party' animation demos.

7 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Only dealbreaker can be animations but you can test the animation compatibility to major brands at 3rd party' animation demos.

Omega is a bless, really. But the most important like a skin, unfortunately does not come in omega usually.

If you can spend a little "more" in face animations, go ahead and try the demos. :) 

Edited by Lara Aulder

13 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Speaking of "animations", don't overlook Vista heads either. Comparatively good price and Omega support, and as Vista is primarily an animation company they have good animation support and animation add-ons will be a priority with the maker.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fionalein said:

We must apparently shop at different stores - I have piles of omega skins ...

I can have a base from Marketplace searching for "omega skins", but it will be nice if you recommend some stores :) All skins I like most like Mudskin or More More or the popular ones like Pumec, The Skinnery, Glam Affair, ItGirls, Lara Hurley, Pink Fuel, NOT FOUND, Insol, L'Etre, Belleza, LAQ, Deetalez, Essences, *YS&YS*, and others more, none of then comes in omega. I think is the nicest skin stores in world. 

Last time I looked Pumec had logo head appliers, so did GA... and before you cry "but We talked Omega, not Logo" - well, Logo appliers usually work on Omega. I wear a GA Logo skin on my Lelutka right now...

Some more stores with Omega or Logo/Omega skins: [.xxx],  Dulce Secrets, WOW, 7deadly S[k]ins, Fallen Gods, Plastik's newer skins, Go&See, Pixie Stix, Nephilim, Stargazer, Alaskametro, Jeanette's Joint... and those are just those I found in my inventory

Edited by Fionalein
  • Haha 1

Well, I did try to go shopping yesterday but ended up chatting instead of shopping..............

But today was different! There's a football match on now so not many guys out there wanting to chat. So I've done the rounds and got hold of maybe half a dozen demos with nearly that many demo hairs.....   Once I get started.......9_9

The animation thing is a good point, but that for me will have to come later. The look is far more important to me than the available animations. In fact I'm still not that happy with my body animations, but that can wait in the list of things to sort out.

Mesh Body Addicts has been a huge help.........................O.o

So now I need some time free from RL interruptions to make a start..............................tick tock tick tock........

So watch this space.......... 

2 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Well, I did try to go shopping yesterday but ended up chatting instead of shopping..............

But today was different! There's a football match on now so not many guys out there wanting to chat. So I've done the rounds and got hold of maybe half a dozen demos with nearly that many demo hairs.....   Once I get started.......9_9

The animation thing is a good point, but that for me will have to come later. The look is far more important to me than the available animations. In fact I'm still not that happy with my body animations, but that can wait in the list of things to sort out.

Mesh Body Addicts has been a huge help.........................O.o

So now I need some time free from RL interruptions to make a start..............................tick tock tick tock........

So watch this space.......... 

Oh no football reminds me I still live in Brazil :( lol Whatever! We only want one more game just to not go to work ha ha :( 

You also can buy nice static poses, edit and put in your AO (there's some tutorials about edit AOs around) :) I'm using a lot static poses now. 

Anyway, I hope you find a nice head without regrets. Good luck in your hunt/montage. ^_^

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2044 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.