Making headband

addictedtobreathing

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2114 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been on SL for a while and i'm posting this with my alt account. I'm currently very interested in making accessories in SL like headband, hat, hairclip and have been searching for tutorials but there are so many tutorials out there and idk which one should i start with :P I am completely clueless when it comes to making 3D stuff but i love designing and quite good at drawing :)) So i hope that u guys can give me some advice for this. 

Btw i'm very sorry for my English cause it's not my first language.

Well, to begin with I assume you are talking about mesh accessories, in which case yes you would have to learn a 3D program in order to model the items you want to make.. before you even begin to think about things like rigging to a specific body part or body.  So the best place to start is: A.  if you have the money invest in a good 3D program such as Maya.. if you are broke like most of us lol, there is a free program called Blender you can get and Download to your computer, and there are numerous videos available on this program to assist.. BUT it is essential that you learn the ins and outs of the 3D program first so there is a learning curve.  After you have mastered the basics of the program then you can move into designing and creating the items you want.  This is just a place to start sorry there are no shot cuts or fast easy ways to accomplish what you want to do that I am aware of.  Perhaps someone else may have more or other suggestions.

You can start here :  https://www.blender.org/

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tazzie Tuque said:

Well, to begin with I assume you are talking about mesh accessories, in which case yes you would have to learn a 3D program in order to model the items you want to make.. before you even begin to think about things like rigging to a specific body part or body.  So the best place to start is: A.  if you have the money invest in a good 3D program such as Maya.. if you are broke like most of us lol, there is a free program called Blender you can get and Download to your computer, and there are numerous videos available on this program to assist.. BUT it is essential that you learn the ins and outs of the 3D program first so there is a learning curve.  After you have mastered the basics of the program then you can move into designing and creating the items you want.  This is just a place to start sorry there are no shot cuts or fast easy ways to accomplish what you want to do that I am aware of.  Perhaps someone else may have more or other suggestions.

You can start here :  https://www.blender.org/

thank you, i'm checking out the Blender program ^^

An easier route than Blender would be texturing pre-made items others have made. Texturing is a good skill to have anyway, it's far simpler and quicker to learn than mesh, and there's free software like GIMP to use for it too.

Try an MP search like "full perm hat" to see what's available. It's harder to track down things inworld, but the quarterly Full Perm Fair at the Old Europe Village is a good place to start collecting landmarks.

If you do want to have a bash at Blender, you don't need to learn rigging for accessories unless you need them to move with animated parts of an avatar. Also rigging an item means the wearer can't adjust it at all. :( 

As for starting with Blender, pretty much everything I might write here I already put in this thread. And since it's Friday evening and some of the other posts might be helpful to you, I'm just going to be lazy and link to it :) 

Good luck and welcome to the best part of Second Life.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2114 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.