Buying Land Without a Premium Membership

ChoiceRider

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2080 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, ChoiceRider said:

tis more to the point  9_9

Perhaps I should learn what "troll" really means, must be a dirty 5 letter word

urban dictionary:

One who purposely and deliberately (that purpose usually being self-amusement) starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers. He will spark of such an argument via the use of ad hominem attacks (i.e. 'you're nothing but a fanboy' is a popular phrase) with no substance or relevance to back them up as well as straw man arguments, which he uses to simply avoid addressing the essence of the issue.
Volourn
by Exitium October 10, 2003

hmmm... sounds like Mr. Alwin   -very slowly nods-

Actually, Alwin is just very blunt and sometimes a little short on patience with those that need a little extra help.  However, he is always very helpful here on the forums.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Actually, Alwin is just very blunt and sometimes a little short on patience with those that need a little extra help.  However, he is always very helpful here on the forums.

Indeed, I'm much like him... When relaxed, I'm warm, loving and self-deprecating, putty in the hands of a woman, while shifting into progress mode, or when faced with critical circumstances, I leave no quarter, take no prisoner... exacting much suffering. So, as Mr. Alwin and I butt heads, it's to the death for us both. I feel for him, yet treat him as I treat myself, cold and exacting. Thank God for the softness of women. Who should survive without them...

• Like 1

Is the following an accurate interpretation of what I've learned here?

As an SL Premium-Member along with a Group-Membership, that Group member can buy, then donate to the Group a 1,126.4 sqm lot rent-free (if Group polices permit).

1,024 + 10% = 1,126.4 - 10% SL group allowance = 1,024 rent-free

An entire region is 65,536 sqm

65,536 / 1,126.4 = 58.18 Group Members to buy an entire region rent-free.

Anyone care to join?

Yeah, within rounding error. When the 10% bonus is applied it truncates to an integer 1126 per donated 1024.*

So yeah, to completely cover a single sim, you'd need 59 Premium-bonus-only tier contributors. I doubt anybody has actually done this because it's so much grinding tedium for such paltry return, but it's been talked about since at least 2007 when I first heard a land baron surprise himself with the math while chatting in Jack Linden's virtual office.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Yeah, within rounding error. When the 10% bonus is applied it truncates to an integer 1126 per donated 1024.*

So yeah, to completely cover a single sim, you'd need 59 Premium-bonus-only tier contributors. I doubt anybody has actually done this because it's so much grinding tedium for such paltry return, but it's been talked about since at least 2007 when I first heard a land baron surprise himself with the math while chatting in Jack Linden's virtual office.

Goodness Qie, that is fascinating! Just goes to show, anything that could be done has been done, though, in this scenario,  it actually hasn't made it out of the discussion stage, and I realize, you're right, the savings are so paltry it actually isn't worth the effort which would represent a huge management issue.

13 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I did the math once on how much land you could get for each additional Premium, up to a full sim -- did it way back when we got 512 sqm and then recently updated my figures with the new 1024 allowance that we get.  It is a lot to keep track of and you'd either have to stagger your Premium signup, thus not gaining the full benefit for a while, or lay out one hefty amount of $$$ right up front.  It was ultimately too much to think about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

i think it is possible that a few people do this and have done so for a long time. A mainland real estate baron with boatloads of rentals. Perhaps another operating in the high parcel resale price range - allowing long hold times between sales, etc

the upfront entry cost is quite high when done all at once. When the entry is staggered to say purchasing 2x annual premiums a week then it can be softened and perhaps be more viable entry-wise

there is like you say lots of discipline that would have to go into this. However I think that most of the large barons that have been around for ages are pretty disciplined already

this is not to say that all barons are doing this but some would be I think

the doubling of the tier allowance from 512 to 1024 may tempt more people down this path I think

Edited by ellestones
resale
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to know if L$ can be converted into US$, and if so how would this be done and at what expense, then, how would those new US$ be transferred to your bank account? Is any of this a regular practice by others?

Now, for the sake of thought economy, please allow me this unrelated question.

I have put together investment groups using alts for exploring some of the theories we have discussed. For funding, I add L$ to these accounts, or when necessary gift items. All this to avoid opening additional access to my rl banking. In some instances I've overreached, leaving some such accounts dormant. Sometimes I've been known to loan out to new residents having difficulty with improving their own system avs, the use of some rather nice avis to experience what mesh living is like.

Being the paranoid schizo that I am, is there any scheme possible to prevent some otherwise well-meaning individual form simply changing my pass and in effect, steal the account?

Edited by ChoiceRider
addendum

17 hours ago, ChoiceRider said:

I would like to know if L$ can be converted into US$, and if so how would this be done and at what expense

Go to your dashboard and on the left side under Linden Exchange, click on Manage then click "Sell L$" under that - the fee to sell is 3.5% of the transaction.

then, how would those new US$ be transferred to your bank account?

This is called "Process Credit" and can be done from your dashboard also - under the 'Manage' section of Linden Exchange, down near the bottom (note that if you actually have a US $ balance, there might be a 'Process Credit' link right next to that value on your Account Summary page).  Your US $ balance can be transferred out to a PayPal account, but not back to a credit card so if that happens to be your current specified payment method, you'll need to add PayPal.  The fee to do this transfer is 2.5% (with a minimum of $3.00) and you must be transferring at least $10 after fees.  Also note that if your PayPal is a foreign currency there will likely be a PayPal fee for converting.

Is any of this a regular practice by others?

Most definitely - especially by folks that actually manage to make money in SL.  

Being the paranoid schizo that I am, is there any scheme possible to prevent some otherwise well-meaning individual form simply changing my pass and in effect, steal the account?

Use a very strong password.  For someone else to initiate a 'forgot password' process, they would need to also control your SL linked email account or know a whole lot about you and your account (what city/state did you live in when you created your account, what is your RL birthday, provide the answer to your security question if there is one, provide the full name of some specified folks on your Friends list, etc....)

Here is a link to the Fees info: https://secondlife.com/my/lindex/describe-transaction-fees.php
 and here is info on Processing Credit: https://accounts.secondlife.com/process_credit/

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2080 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.