Buying Land Without a Premium Membership

ChoiceRider

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2082 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

I hope this Knowledge Base article is less confusing than the discussion:  https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/buying-land-r14/

In short: you can buy land without a premium membership - that's called Private Regions: https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/buying-land-r14/#Section__2_2

All land incurs a monthly maintenance fee.  The only exception is the 1024sqm allowance (Mainland only) that is included with a Premium Membership.  When you buy a parcel from another resident, you pay them for the parcel.  You then pay Linden a monthly fee (unless your parcel(s) total area is 1024sqm of Mainland or less).   

Linden Homes are one way to use part of your 1024 allowance, and those leave you with another 512 to use elsewhere as you wish.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Grumpity Linden said:

I hope this Knowledge Base article is less confusing than the discussion:  https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/buying-land-r14/

In short: you can buy land without a premium membership - that's called Private Regions: https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/buying-land-r14/#Section__2_2

All land incurs a monthly maintenance fee.  The only exception is the 1024sqm allowance (Mainland only) that is included with a Premium Membership.  When you buy a parcel from another resident, you pay them for the parcel.  You then pay Linden a monthly fee (unless your parcel(s) total area is 1024sqm of Mainland or less).   

Linden Homes are one way to use part of your 1024 allowance, and those leave you with another 512 to use elsewhere as you wish.  

Thank you so much for doing the legwork for me. This article you found certainly boils it down to the bare necessities.

On 7/5/2018 at 11:16 AM, ChoiceRider said:

What rules? So, how did she bend/break the rules, if these rules you elude to make it impossible? I'm not aware of any rule prohibiting residents from buying private lands.

Yes anyone can buy private land, but you must be premium to buy mainland (buy meaning purchase the right to pay rent/tier)

You can own mainland without being premium however if you buy  tier off of a premium member, and purchase the land for a group you own.The premium member joins your group and donates whatever amount of tier you wish to purchase. Then you go out and buy a parcel of that size, and pay the premium member for the use of his tier.

Complicated? Not if you understand the basics of land ownership in SL.

Edited by Phorumities
trying to clarify
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

You can also RENT mainland cheaper than the tier price with "almost" all the control. Depends on the landlord of course. 

Here again, I'm confused. What are the land management abilities and permissions of renters(e.g. Do renters have About-Land Object and Options tab management control, unchecking "allow outsiders to view or IM avatars on the property", install and manage their own security orb)? And if the landlord has the option to authorize any or all of these land management controls, what must they do to grant such abilities and permissions? What steps must be taken?

53 minutes ago, ChoiceRider said:

Here again, I'm confused. What are the land management abilities and permissions of renters(e.g. Do renters have About-Land Object and Options tab management control, unchecking "allow outsiders to view or IM avatars on the property", install and manage their own security orb)? And if the landlord has the option to authorize any or all of these land management controls, what must they do to grant such abilities and permissions? What steps must be taken?

Each land company has different rules. You will need to check any that you are interested in to see what they might be. Most have a notecard explaining.

Do some exploring and reading up and even checking the Marketplace rentals as there is plenty of info.  We all learn by DOING :D. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Each land company has different rules. You will need to check any that you are interested in to see what they might be. Most have a notecard explaining.

Do some exploring and reading up and even checking the Marketplace rentals as there is plenty of info.  We all learn by DOING :D. 

I have a close friend who I let stay on a property of mine and created a group so she could join to be able to "Set Home" there. Of course, I can check for permissions allowing her to rez and fly and the other permissions found in About-Land and in the group options as well, but how can I allow her to install her own security orb with access to about land settings?

Edited by ChoiceRider
typo

5 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

not to be blunt, or rude, but isn't it a bit time you start reading the knowledge base articles about building, land, buying, private estates? .. you nearly had all subjects about that by now.

You could make that suggestion if you want but understand, in a very real sense that's exactly what I'm doing, by tapping the practical and experienced mental knowledge base of all these considerate and thoughtful residents, wishing to share their expertise with us all. Does this answer your question? Not to be blunt, or rude, but isn't it a bit time you start participating by adding something useful to these discussions instead of acting like the knowledge base police you're not?

Edited by ChoiceRider
corrections

25 minutes ago, ChoiceRider said:

You could make that suggestion if you want but understand, in a very real sense that's exactly what I'm doing, by tapping the practical and experienced mental knowledge base of all these considerate and thoughtful residents, wishing to share their expertise with us all. Does this answer your question? Not to be blunt, or rude, but isn't it a bit time you start participating by adding something useful to these discussions instead of acting like the knowledge base police you're not?

i'v added something very usefull to the discussion, but you don't like it.

As your question about the orb in your pre last post.. that's all to find in the knowledgebase. : btw the answer is yes she can when your land is owned by a group and she has the abilities in the groupsettings.

And yes residents here want to help you, and as you can see at my posts i mostly do too, but keep repeatingly questions about things that are easy to find is a bit waste of time when there's pointed several times to the knowledgebase.. not only by me but also by Grumpity Linden himself.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Phorumities said:

Yes anyone can buy private land, but you must be premium to buy mainland (buy meaning purchase the right to pay rent/tier)

You can own mainland without being premium however if you buy  tier off of a premium member, and purchase the land for a group you own.The premium member joins your group and donates whatever amount of tier you wish to purchase. Then you go out and buy a parcel of that size, and pay the premium member for the use of his tier.

Complicated? Not if you understand the basics of land ownership in SL.

You bring up an interesting aspect to all this by pointing to possible group involvement. I'm part of a group with 3 other residents where we want to purchase a shared parcel supporting a base for our WarBug dogfighting activities. Would you know if it would be possible to divide a 4096 sqm parcel so each of us could stay within our premium membership limit of 1024 sqm bonus to avoid tier?

20 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

you don't like it

Stop right there if you would please. You don't know either my likes or dislikes, so allow me to request that you might refrain from commenting further in this post as well as any future posts I should have. This request isn't meant for any purpose other than to hopefully reduce distraction.

Thank you

Edited by ChoiceRider
format

56 minutes ago, ChoiceRider said:

You bring up an interesting aspect to all this by pointing to possible group involvement. I'm part of a group with 3 other residents where we want to purchase a shared parcel supporting a base for our WarBug dogfighting activities. Would you know if it would be possible to divide a 4096 sqm parcel so each of us could stay within our premium membership limit of 1024 sqm bonus to avoid tier?

1024 is 1/4 of 4096, so yes you can each own a 1024, but why divide it? If each of you donates your tier to the  group then the group is able to purchase the whole 4096, plus it is eligible to purchase another 409 sq m because of the 10% group tier bonus.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChoiceRider said:

so allow me to request that you might refrain from commenting further in this post as well as any future posts I should have. This request isn't meant for any purpose other than to hopefully reduce distraction.

you can ignore my posts, simply hover over my name and click ignore user, but i don't do anything against the forum rules or TOS here i'm simply pointing where you can find answers.
But you only prove now you dont follow advices given here and ignore everything. You refuse to read, all about land, also you last question about group owned land is simple to find on all forums and knowledgebase.

3 hours ago, ChoiceRider said:

Stop right there if you would please. You don't know either my likes or dislikes, so allow me to request that you might refrain from commenting further in this post as well as any future posts I should have. This request isn't meant for any purpose other than to hopefully reduce distraction.

Thank you

Alwin's been helping people here since I was a little girl. I learned virtually everything I know about SL the same way he did, by reading the Knowledge base (sometimes on topics for which I had no current interest, because I'm curious), searching the forums (often finding useful information provided by Alwin) and experimenting. I don't think it's unreasonable to direct people to the Knowledge base for the wealth of information contained there. I certainly don't look forward to becoming an old lady relaying that readily accessible information to people who won't hop over there and read for themselves.

And you should know by now that the word "Stop" often invokes unintended consequences in forums.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Truth be told though, some of the info in the Knowledge Base and Wiki is not very clear and some of it is outdated and no longer applicable.  If I had questions about something in SL, while I might peruse the KB and Wiki, I'd probably still come to the Residents with my questions.  I've learned to trust the folks here much more than those other sources.

7 hours ago, ChoiceRider said:

how can I allow her to install her own security orb with access to about land settings?

Most security orbs contain a notecard that you update to specify who may or may not be allowed on the land, so no access to the land settings is needed.

6 hours ago, ChoiceRider said:

Truthfully, the best way to handle this is exactly as Phorumities mentioned - Create a group for this, have everyone donate their 1024 sqm to the group and then when you buy the plot of land, make sure the group tag is active and use the option "buy for group".  

P.S.  @ChoiceRider, @Alwin Alcott - Play nice, stop your bickering.  Mom said so.  :P

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Alwin's been helping people here since I was a little girl. I learned virtually everything I know about SL the same way he did, by reading the Knowledge base (sometimes on topics for which I had no current interest, because I'm curious), searching the forums (often finding useful information provided by Alwin) and experimenting. I don't think it's unreasonable to direct people to the Knowledge base for the wealth of information contained there. I certainly don't look forward to becoming an old lady relaying that readily accessible information to people who won't hop over there and read for themselves.

And you should know by now that the word "Stop" often invokes unintended consequences in forums.

This post originally was about how to buy land without a premium membership, but it was posted only after I did research for the answers, but had not found the answers  I needed I made the post. It has drawn several important participants and the topic morphed causing a spontaneous broadening of the op. So yes, I had researched without finding the answers I was looking for. I'm thankful for having access to this Q&A community and enjoy it very much. Please join in.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Truth be told though, some of the info in the Knowledge Base and Wiki is not very clear and some of it is outdated and no longer applicable.  If I had questions about something in SL, while I might peruse the KB and Wiki, I'd probably still come to the Residents with my questions.  I've learned to trust the folks here much more than those other sources.

Most security orbs contain a notecard that you update to specify who may or may not be allowed on the land, so no access to the land settings is needed.

Truthfully, the best way to handle this is exactly as Phorumities mentioned - Create a group for this, have everyone donate their 1024 sqm to the group and then when you buy the plot of land, make sure the group tag is active and use the option "buy for group".  

P.S.  @ChoiceRider, @Alwin Alcott - Play nice, stop your bickering.  Mom said so.  :P

yes, mom, we be good boys.

About the privacy orb.. my friend hasn't the money to incur regular payments for either property or the premium membership. So my solution is to informally protect her ownership of property I've made available to her. It's my intention to provide her with every nuance of personal privacy and control over what I've determined should belong to her within my ability to do so, though informal as it is. I can give her all control over my privacy orb, but that cannot include managing my access due to the fact that it is my orb and my designated property. I cannot be removed from the access list. This is important in making sure she knows that yes, it is her property despite SL's nonrecognition of the fact. Is there any way she can gain ownership over her own privacy orb so that it recognizes her as the owner of the property, or at least have the ability to remove me, the recognized owner, from her access list if only by practical theory, assuring her total control?

Added thought: If I rent to her @ L$1/mon, would that grant her the ability to have her own privacy orb?

Now for your input concerning group ownership over properties.

chronologically:

1) Create a group (done)

2) Everyone donates their 1024 sqm to the group (Are you talking about the premium membership 1024 tier bonus as units of tradable tender and not actual land?)

3) Buy the plot of land (Each group member donates their portion of L$ and then buy the land? So there must be two donations, first that of tier, then of money, at which point the property is then purchased.)

4) Make group tag active (how is this accomplished?)

5) Use the option "buy for group" (First buy the land with donated L$, then set "buy for group"? Is this some kind of transfer? Or, is this out of chronological order?)

Edited by ChoiceRider
Added thought

6 hours ago, Phorumities said:

1024 is 1/4 of 4096, so yes you can each own a 1024, but why divide it? If each of you donates your tier to the  group then the group is able to purchase the whole 4096, plus it is eligible to purchase another 409 sq m because of the 10% group tier bonus.

Given we have our group, how is tier donated to the group? Then L$ is donated from each to the group to affect the purchase? This concept is foreign to me only because I don't understand the mechanism for a group to accomplish the handshake.

5 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

already decided to give up feeding the troll, this thread turns in a total joke.

mommy said stop awin

urban dictionary:

1) Female parent 
2) Used as an adjective for a female who is superior to someone; used by females to infer superior status over another, particularly a male.
Mommyyyy, can I go out and play? 

I'm your mommy, boy, respect this sh*t.
by Vyxen November 23, 2004

O.o   hehe
Edited by ChoiceRider
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ChoiceRider said:

About the privacy orb.. my friend hasn't the money to incur regular payments for either property or the premium membership. So my solution is to informally protect her ownership of property I've made available to her. It's my intention to provide her with every nuance of personal privacy and control over what I've determined should belong to her within my ability to do so, though informal as it is. I can give her all control over my privacy orb, but that cannot include managing my access due to the fact that it is my orb and my designated property. I cannot be removed from the access list. This is important in making sure she knows that yes, it is her property despite SL's nonrecognition of the fact. Is there any way she can gain ownership over her own privacy orb so that it recognizes her as the owner of the property, or at least have the ability to remove me, the recognized owner, from her access list if only by practical theory, assuring her total control?

Added thought: If I rent to her @ L$1/mon, would that grant her the ability to have her own privacy orb?   

Now for your input concerning group ownership over properties.

chronologically:

1) Create a group (done)

2) Everyone donates their 1024 sqm to the group (Are you talking about the premium membership 1024 tier bonus as units of tradable tender and not actual land?)

3) Buy the plot of land (Each group member donates their portion of L$ and then buy the land? So there must be two donations, first that of tier, then of money, at which point the property is then purchased.)

4) Make group tag active (how is this accomplished?)

5) Use the option "buy for group" (First buy the land with donated L$, then set "buy for group"? Is this some kind of transfer? Or, is this out of chronological order?)

Regarding the property you've made available to your friend, which you wish her to have personal privacy:  If the property is it's own parcel, I would create a group for managing that parcel, deed the land to the group, and create a "tenant" role for your friend, with the abilities you want her to have checked for that new role.  In this case only you would be contributing sqm to the group.

Group owned land:

If you're not familiar with all the abilities available for roles, or how to create/manage roles in a group, I would suggest reading Creating, Managing, Moderating and Disbanding Groups while you are inworld, so that you can have your group window open to refer to while reading the knowledge base article. 

One thing that is not mentioned in the article, but is a wise thing to do when creating a group is to have only 1 other "owner" (avi with owner role) and have that avi be your own alt.  You can create additional abilities that have all the rights an owner would have, and assign others to that role if they need all those abilities.   Give some thought about who else should have abilities allowing them to sell group land, sell group objects, or be responsible for income and liabilities. 

Tier donation to a group is actually a donation of all or part of the sqm's that an account pays tier towards.  Donations are made by bringing up the group window, going to the land/assets section, and entering an amount of sqm (such as 1024) in the "Your contribution" box.  You can only donate unused tier up to the tier level you have indicated you want to pay for on the Land Fees page of your account.  If you own other mainland, or if you own a Linden Home, you will not have 1024 sqm available to donate without moving to a tier level that requires you to pay monthly (unless you deed your existing property to the group or sell your existing property or abandon your Linden Home).  

If you have a group with 4 members, and each member donates 1024 sqm, than the group can purchase land up to 4096 sqm (plus a group bonus of an additional 10% of the donated amount).  

Only 1 avi can initiate the purchase of the land for the group.  So 1 person with a role that allows them to purchase land for the group would need to be chosen.  The others would pay that person 1/4 of the purchase price ahead of time, if you wanted each person to pay their share up front (or they could pay their share to the purchaser afterwards - the important thing is that the avi actually making the purchase needs to pay the full purchase price).  Then the person selected to buy the land, would make sure that they have that group tag active, and right click the ground inside the parcel to bring up the "About Land" menu and then click the "Buy for Group Button" to initiate the land purchase.  (See "Buying Land for a Group" section of the Group Owned Land knowledge base article).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

already decided to give up feeding the troll, this thread turns in a total joke.

He's not a troll, Alwin, just very slow and cautious concerning all of this land stuff.  It is a bit complicated and can seem convoluted to many. 

Now, play nice - New Year's resolution, remember?  :P

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

Regarding the property you've made available to your friend, which you wish her to have personal privacy:  If the property is it's own parcel, I would create a group for managing that parcel, deed the land to the group, and create a "tenant" role for your friend, with the abilities you want her to have checked for that new role.  In this case only you would be contributing sqm to the group.

Group owned lan

d:

If you're not familiar with all the abilities available for roles, or how to create/manage roles in a group, I would suggest reading Creating, Managing, Moderating and Disbanding Groups while you are inworld, so that you can have your group window open to refer to while reading the knowledge base article. 

One thing that is not mentioned in the article, but is a wise thing to do when creating a group is to have only 1 other "owner" (avi with owner role) and have that avi be your own alt.  You can create additional abilities that have all the rights an owner would have, and assign others to that role if they need all those abilities.   Give some thought about who else should have abilities allowing them to sell group land, sell group objects, or be responsible for income and liabilities. 

Tier donation to a group is actually a donation of all or part of the sqm's that an account pays tier towards.  Donations are made by bringing up the group window, going to the land/assets section, and entering an amount of sqm (such as 1024) in the "Your contribution" box.  You can only donate unused tier up to the tier level you have indicated you want to pay for on the Land Fees page of your account.  If you own other mainland, or if you own a Linden Home, you will not have 1024 sqm available to donate without moving to a tier level that requires you to pay monthly (unless you deed your existing property to the group or sell your existing property or abandon your Linden Home).  

If you have a group with 4 members, and each member donates 1024 sqm, than the group can purchase land up to 4096 sqm (plus a group bonus of an additional 10% of the donated amount).  

Only 1 avi can initiate the purchase of the land for the group.  So 1 person with a role that allows them to purchase land for the group would need to be chosen.  The others would pay that person 1/4 of the purchase price ahead of time, if you wanted each person to pay their share up front (or they could pay their share to the purchaser afterwards - the important thing is that the avi actually making the purchase needs to pay the full purchase price).  Then the person selected to buy the land, would make sure that they have that group tag active, and right click the ground inside the parcel to bring up the "About Land" menu and then click the "Buy for Group Button" to initiate the land purchase.  (See "Buying Land for a Group" section of the Group Owned Land knowledge base article).

You just put together a great package of thought for me, both organized and most suitable for my consumption, and how should I pay you back for such elegant teaching?

Oh, and activating the group, adding the tag should have been obvious smh... I do know how that is done at least.

Edited by ChoiceRider
added thought
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

very slow

tis more to the point  9_9

Perhaps I should learn what "troll" really means, must be a dirty 5 letter word

urban dictionary:

One who purposely and deliberately (that purpose usually being self-amusement) starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers. He will spark of such an argument via the use of ad hominem attacks (i.e. 'you're nothing but a fanboy' is a popular phrase) with no substance or relevance to back them up as well as straw man arguments, which he uses to simply avoid addressing the essence of the issue.
Volourn
by Exitium October 10, 2003

hmmm... sounds like Mr. Alwin   -very slowly nods-
Edited by ChoiceRider
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2082 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.