Lavaliere

What's with L$ Transaction fees?

Question

I just got back to SL, and I was going to revamp my avatar,  I noticed that as of yesterday the transaction fee has jumped from .99 to 1.49USD.   Does anyone know why they've done such an increase in the transaction fee?

15 answers to this question

1 minute ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

They lowered land prices and that made linden prices go up.

In short this.   For more information read some of the featured news blogs and search the forums for the many threads about it

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cindy Evanier said:

In short this.   For more information read some of the featured news blogs and search the forums for the many threads about it

Thank you, I was having issues finding it.

• Like 1

This is the 2nd increase in roughly a year...The transaction fee used to be .50 cents, and about a year ago they raised it to .99 cents...This is NOT the "price of Linden" this is the FEE that Linden Labs charges to exchange your currency to L$...a currency that THEY have full control over, on a website/system that they also control. So where is this transaction taking place exactly? This steady increase is rather upsetting to me as somebody who buys L$ about twice a week, and I'm starting to feel "nickel and dimed" for being loyal as the population on SL drops over time.

17 minutes ago, Mariusz Ivanovic said:

me as somebody who buys L$ about twice a week

buy it once a week you'll be cheaper off than now..

you now do it twice = 2 x 0.99

you go do it once = 1 x 1.49 for the same total amount of L$ .. so 49 cents cheaper than it is now.

• Like 2

If your spending is somewhat on the same level each week, I'd go as far as purchasing L$ currency every second or even every fourth week. But at also depends on your need for impulse shopping ... or whatever you're spending it on.

22 hours ago, Mariusz Ivanovic said:

This is NOT the "price of Linden" this is the FEE that Linden Labs charges to exchange your currency to L$...a currency that THEY have full control over, on a website/system that they also control. So where is this transaction taking place exactly?  This steady increase is rather upsetting to me as somebody who buys L$ about twice a week, and I'm starting to feel "nickel and dimed" for being loyal as the population on SL drops over time.

You have to remember that those L$ are being bought with either a credit card or PayPal or Skrill.  Now, as to the credit cared, LL has to pay Visa/Mastercard/Whatever 1-2% of the transaction as a fee.  PayPal is also charging their 'seller' fee and Skrill likely has something similar.  Thus part of the LindeX fees are to help cover LL's fees to those financial companies.

The rest goes towards the ever increasing cost of doing business in general.  To cover those costs, LL is working on implementing a few things that shift some of the burden from land tiers to other areas, as they want to distribute those costs more equally across the SL user base.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

A lot of people are going to feel like Mariusz.  Well, I say...too frickin' bad.  We landowners have been carrying the rest of you on our backs, paying your way, for years.  This is a long overdue move to spread the cost of Second Life more evenly and fairly across the user base.

And besides, if you do something in SL to make money, you might not ever have to buy $L, and you won't pay that fee you object to.

Or at least, just arrange to buy your $L in  bigger chunks.  Easy peasy.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Well, I say...too frickin' bad.

/me is shocked to hear yoú say that...

:)

but as i said... buy wiser and it's even cheaper than the old 99 cts., It's more the impulsive buyers that will pay the bill.

5 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

A lot of people are going to feel like Mariusz.  Well, I say...too frickin' bad.  We landowners have been carrying the rest of you on our backs, paying your way, for years.  This is a long overdue move to spread the cost of Second Life more evenly and fairly across the user base.

And besides, if you do something in SL to make money, you might not ever have to buy $L, and you won't pay that fee you object to.

What a pile of dog poop, there are three types of land owners

1) landlords and businesses(the majority of linden labs tier income) oh guess who actually pays that tier it aint the landlords its those that buy lindens and rent off them or buy their goods

2) people who own land for their own house well you pay about the same or possibly less than a renter so all equal here

3) people running vanity hobby projects guess what your hobby costs money if you dont feel you are getting your moneys worth then stop doing it

You paying x$ for land tier doesnt make you anymore special than those paying for x$ for lindens as eventually all those bought lindens tend to end up as land tier one way or another

5 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

That's what I do.  Instead of buying 500 a week I now buy 1,500 per week.

>.>
<.<

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

/me is shocked to hear yoú say that...

Told ya.  I'm not ALWAYS a quiet intellectual.

• Haha 1

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 12:24 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

Too Frickin' bad?? I own land myself, and you still have to pay this fee if you pay your tier or rent in L$. It also effects business owners who cash out L$ to actually get their money. Nobody forces you to own land, so acting like you are doing the whole community a favor by "supporting us" and carrying us on your back is irrelevant to this issue...just sell your land if you don't like the burden, easy peasy :D   Maybe if this 150% increase (in 2 years) in this fee stops people from buying L$ several times a year, or makes businesses lose more profits to fees, you can turn your land into a nudist colony cause there won't be as many outfits to wear/buy. I also worked my butt off in SL for YEARS, and made LOTS of L$ through various businesses, and ventures, but I retired from working in SL and come on to actually enjoy myself, and do what I want with my own time. One of the reasons I stopped working, is because people don't tip as much, don't buy as much, don't spend as much, and its not worth my time anymore. We as a community do not need MORE reasons for people to have less L$ in their pockets, or less L$ in the system pool, and that's what this fee does.

2 hours ago, Mariusz Ivanovic said:

own land myself, and you still have to pay this fee if you pay your tier or rent in L$. It also effects business owners who cash out L$ to actually get their money

Just noting that TIER is always paid in US dollars, not Lindens. Rent (or leasing from private parties) is mostly in lindens and would fit in with the OP as needed to be purchased for those not earning lindens. 

The fee in this OP has NOTHING to do with cashing out.  Cashing out charges have nothing to do with buying linden charges --  and yes there have been raises there (much more than the buying linden fee) but still NOT this topic. 

The whole point according to Linden Lab officials is to try and level the playing field somewhat.