You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2114 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I bought a sim on July 3rd 2018 at roughly 6am EST due to July 2nd having technical difficulties of the new 15 for 15 special price cut promotion on digital land.

( I have never bought a sim out right mind you, it's always been renting, which was expensive.) Once I bought this sim, I was on the browser and saw commands like Edit, Restart, Safe Mode.

I fooled around with these, just to see what it was like, there's no one on my sim, to the best way to learn is when you're alone.

I hit edit, saw what that was about, hit restart a time or two to see how that worked, and hit Safe Mode to see how that operated.

Once inworld, I finally went to the sim, because I have to manually turn everything on after turning on safe mode.

But now here's where things get annoying.

Once I went to my sim. I'm shoved in 0,0,0.

I turned on everything, aside from no pushing, assigned my group to the land, and everything I needed to turn "off" safe mode according to the LL instructions.

So here's the things that are happening:

1) I'm stuck in 0,0,0. I can't enter my own sim.

2) I can only build under water. Moving the land up or down (I can build from my location or edit the terrain) results in not being able to build on the sim.

3) If I want to enter the sim, I have to place a prim, sit on it, and move myself to the middle of the sim.

4) Doesn't matter where I place myself on the sim, I CAN NOT MOVE. I AM STUCK. AND MY AVATAR IS STUCK IN THE FALLING ANIMATION.

5) I can not teleport to the sim using any alts, it says the region is not there.

6) Scripts do not work.

Come on I just want to use my sim.. I have never had this much aggravation from something that cost me hundreds of dollars aside from a Nintendo Switch and a Samsung Galaxy Note 7.

Is there anyone who can help?

Am I doing something wrong? Did LL not activate the sim or something? Do I need to stand on my head and wave at the SL gods? 

I have submitted a ticket, but in the mean time, time just is ticking away on me actually being able to use the digital landscape. 

Honestly for each day I can't interact with this sim, I should be credited back my money per day. Which is roughly $8.30 a day. 

You're basically renting these sims from LL, and like a RL landlord, if your house is unable to be used or lived in, you technically are entitled to credit for having to deal with the aggravation.

Edited by Lightesword Xue
Added Number 6.

13 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Lightesword Xue said:

4) Doesn't matter where I place myself on the sim, I CAN NOT MOVE. I AM STUCK. AND MY AVATAR IS STUCK IN THE FALLING ANIMATION.

Are you sure you didn't leave physics disabled?
World -> Region/estate -> Debug -> Make sure "Disable physics" is not ticked.
When physics is disabled, avatars cannot move.

World -> Region/estate -> Estate -> Make sure "Allow Direct Teleport" is ticked.

I'm not sure what "Safe Mode" disables as I don't own a region.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Lightesword Xue said:

Holy crap! Whirly! I freaking love you! This worked! 
See? Said I never owned  a sim, always rented. 
Also didn't view the sim as a PC, but now with that in mind, I'll not touch buttons unless I really need to.

Yay glad that worked.

I'm unable to see that new region restart web page as I don't own a region.
After you have restarted in safe mode, is there no way to restart out of safe mode from the web page?  If not, I think that should be added - I'm sure you won't be the last to have a play & accidentally "break" their region  :D

5) I can not teleport to the sim using any alts, it says the region is not there.

Can your alts get in now?
If the alts are trying to use map search to find the region, it can take a while for a new region to display on the world map.
Send the alts a landmark or paste them a SLURL.
Also make sure the alts satisfy the criteria for access under World -> Region/Estate -> Estate

Edit to add: If still no luck, try adding the alts as estate managers under World -> Region/Estate -> Estate

Edited by Whirly Fizzle
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lightesword Xue said:

I bought a sim on July 3rd 2018 at roughly 6am EST due to July 2nd having technical difficulties of the new 15 for 15 special price cut promotion on digital land.

( I have never bought a sim out right mind you, it's always been renting, which was expensive.) Once I bought this sim, I was on the browser and saw commands like Edit, Restart, Safe Mode.

I fooled around with these, just to see what it was like, there's no one on my sim, to the best way to learn is when you're alone.

I hit edit, saw what that was about, hit restart a time or two to see how that worked, and hit Safe Mode to see how that operated.

Once inworld, I finally went to the sim, because I have to manually turn everything on after turning on safe mode.

But now here's where things get annoying.

I turned on everything, aside from no pushing, assigned my group to the land, and everything I needed to turn "off" safe mode according to the LL instructions.

So here's the things that are happening:

1) I'm stuck in 0,0,0. I can't enter my own sim.

2) I can only build under water. Moving the land up or down (I can build from my location or edit the terrain) results in not being able to build on the sim.

3) If I want to enter the sim, I have to place a prim, sit on it, and move myself to the middle of the sim.

6) Scripts do not work.

Come on I just want to use my sim.. I have never had this much aggravation from something that cost me hundreds of dollars aside from a Nintendo Switch and a Samsung Galaxy Note 7.

Is there anyone who can help?

Am I doing something wrong? Did LL not activate the sim or something? Do I need to stand on my head and wave at the SL gods? 

I have submitted a ticket, but in the mean time, time just is ticking away on me actually being able to use the digital landscape. 

Honestly for each day I can't interact with this sim, I should be credited back my money per day. Which is roughly $8.30 a day. 

You're basically renting these sims from LL, and like a RL landlord, if your house is unable to be used or lived in, you technically are entitled to credit for having to deal with the aggravation.

There is another post around telling a similar story.  I believe they were told to contact support.  https://support.secondlife.com/

3 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Are you sure you didn't leave physics disabled?
World -> Region/estate -> Debug -> Make sure "Disable physics" is not ticked.
When physics is disabled, avatars cannot move.

World -> Region/estate -> Estate -> Make sure "Allow Direct Teleport" is ticked.

I'm not sure what "Safe Mode" disables as I don't own a region.

Holy crap! Whirly! I freaking love you! This worked! 
See? Said I never owned  a sim, always rented. 
Also didn't view the sim as a PC, but now with that in mind, I'll not touch buttons unless I really need to.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Yay glad that worked.

After you have restarted in safe mode, is there no way to restart out of safe mode from the web page?  If not, I think that should be added - I'm sure you won't be the last to have a play & accidentally "break" their region  :D

Can your alts get in now?
If the alts are trying to use map search to find the region, it can take a while for a new region to display on the world map.
Send the alts a landmark or paste them a SLURL.
Also make sure the alts satisfy the criteria for access under World -> Region/Estate -> Estate

Edit to add: If still no luck, try adding the alts as estate managers under World -> Region/Estate -> Estate

Yep everything works.You're freaking epic. Thanks!

• Like 2

On 7/4/2018 at 7:39 PM, Whirly Fizzle said:

This is the page from one of my estates:

c6dda6f8d22e782169ea8bc16804db78.thumb.png.f241316daa88a5d949230607c303c5b5.png

The [?] next to Restart brings up:

a6cbdd0bfaf388a20c9b9502a339c441.png.2181640e2f36d4986cd0b7270bd1106c.png

I do agree that information on what safe mode does would be helpful. It could be put in an [?] next to the button, along with the warning - "Safe mode is meant for greifer cleanup, it severly limits the region. When your cleanup is complete, ensure you turn scripts, collisions, and physics back on"

I would make the comment that there are a lot of dangers for an estate owner to be aware of - loading a terrain for example can do a mass return of every object in the region if the Z is the wrong scale (done that one). Changing the region bonus is also fraught with peril. 

In this case rebooting regions really can lock them up, while this new page will allow recovery, it's really not something you want to poke-poke-poke at just for the heck of it. Consider a crashed/locked up region might be in an unclean disk state, a restart could - in theory (because who really knows what can go wrong) - cause some sort of file allocation error.

I personally prefer to do the reboot in world, it ensures you can talk to the people on the region with a region message... it also allows you to verify the region does come back - sometimes they don't.

But the web page is awesome and great, when a reboot fails to return you can do it self-serve without a ticket, and of course, it's a boon if a griefer hits you, as sometimes those prevent the Region owner going in.

But it's still something that carries a non-negligable risk.

I guess the last point to the OP I'd make is welcome to region ownership, you (or anyone) are always welcome to shoot me an IM in world if you have questions about the tabs in Alt-R, I am always willing to help if possible. But, moving forward you should always expect there can be downtime, it happens even on 99.999% uptime systems.

• Like 1

One further point: On the comment of "Not being able to teleport alts in" This is caused because a new region is not on the map yet. That takes 24 hours. During those 24 hours you can only get to the region with a landmark, or by starting the client with the region name as a start location.

The order confirmation email does mention this.

8ce5944de4f8ed065928b204e265ac45.thumb.png.f5786a09fe22c8f24a8f3d315b30d707.png

• Like 1

Thanks Callum.

Not sure what they mean by this - there is no option under Prefs -> General to enable/disable the showing of the Start Location box on the login screen.
As far as I'm aware, the login location box is always present.
There is the option of showing the grid selector box under Prefs -> Advanced but this isn't needed for region owners on Agni.

Screenshot_1.png

1 hour ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Thanks Callum.

Not sure what they mean by this - there is no option under Prefs -> General to enable/disable the showing of the Start Location box on the login screen.
There is the option of showing the grid selector box under Prefs -> Advanced but this isn't needed for region owners on Agni.

Screenshot_1.png

I didn't find anything in LL's viewer in Preferences->General that hides the login location, but Firestorm does have something there: a Show on login checkbox in the Start Location portion of the tab. Uncheck it and start location disappears from the login screen. Perhaps Linden Lab figures using Firestorm settings will be more useful to residents.

7 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Thanks Callum.

Screenshot_1.png

Sadly I can't say as I don't use the SL viewer, the Firestorm team have made so many wonderful improvements :D it's hard to change.

When I buy a new region I log in with Firestorm and use the drop down on the login screen. You will know it, but other's might not... where it's home, last, favourites... and you can override those and just type a region name. That typed in region name lets you enter places that are not on the map. From memory of many years ago that was hidden on the SL viewer so it could be old information in the email?

(I know you don't need this screenshot Whirly, but others might in the future)

bb86d35b69f0b4ac01b63ac8ebf5b433.png.c1636ad8e80d4c24850214961725875c.png

What's weird about the whole thing is a normal TP lure just wont work, it's basically dead for a day.

Edited by Callum Meriman

3 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

What's weird about the whole thing is a normal TP lure just wont work, it's basically dead for a day.

That's expected behavior.  Until the map database has been updated to include the new region, TP functions will not work as anticipated.  You have to log in directly to the location.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2114 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.