Asked to buy a gift card in exchange for lindens

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2085 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I only ever watch the concerts on TV. Is the Vrijhof the square in Maastricht?

ETA: I looked it up, and it is that square. The concerts from there are always amazing, but so are are the large concerts anywhere in the world.

Edited by Phil Deakins

On 7/4/2018 at 10:19 AM, Cindy Evanier said:
On 7/4/2018 at 9:55 AM, Alwin Alcott said:

sorry guys.. but the Belgians are going to take it home...

I think you spelt Brazil wrong?  (Us English don't really think it's coming home)

/me wakes up from a nap.  Looks at TV.  Rubs eyes.  Looks again at the TV.  Looks at @Alwin Alcott .  Blinks again.  

Can you do my lottery numbers please?

• Haha 1

On 7/4/2018 at 1:37 AM, Phil Deakins said:

Something doesn't smell right here.

People do like to be helpful, but to spend real money up front for a total stranger is not something that helpful people tend to do.

We've recently had a number of threads started, where the poster tries out his/her fiction-writing skills, by writing as though something really happened. I'm wondering if this thread is along the same lines. It certainly looks like it to me.

I really don't care if you think that. And maybe you don't have a generous heart like some people do. However, I do. You don't know me, and I really hope to never know you, since you are quick to judge. Not that I have to explain anything to you, but I help complete strangers out, inworld and in the real world all the time. It's my nature, it's what makes me feel good, and because I do doesn't give you the right to say anything that isn't helpful. So please. see yourself out of my post...I don't need your kind at all commenting.

On 7/3/2018 at 11:35 PM, Alwin Alcott said:

you'r supporting money laundering STOP IT, you can, and will get in serious trouble.

Also you can get in trouble for the case you trade in L$, gifts are ok, till certain level, but structural trade is not allowed.

You can be banned for this.

Also not very wise to put this on a forum, you have now pointed a spotlight on yourself.

I had no idea I was commiting such a crime, to help a person out. If they want to come after me, so be it. I know what I did and why, no malicious intent to anyone.

7 minutes ago, Mariposa Rayna said:

I had no idea I was commiting such a crime,

He was just using you to hide money transfers; whether that was from his wife, from LL or from interpol is all a guess -- and my guess is that he was hiding how much he spends on ammo from his wife.  I would bet he doesn't have a verified paypal account so no way of getting money out by himself. Letting you eat the transfer fee was just a side benefit.  You were simply used so he could break the rules.  Please don't do that any more.  But it looks like you won't so you are going to be fine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mariposa Rayna said:

I really don't care if you think that. And maybe you don't have a generous heart like some people do. However, I do. You don't know me, and I really hope to never know you, since you are quick to judge. Not that I have to explain anything to you, but I help complete strangers out, inworld and in the real world all the time. It's my nature, it's what makes me feel good, and because I do doesn't give you the right to say anything that isn't helpful. So please. see yourself out of my post...I don't need your kind at all commenting.

Despite your warnings, you don’t get to choose who replies to your public thread. It is now available as a warning to others whose “generous heart” may tempt the same softness of brain. 

You can be both generous and smart.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mariposa Rayna said:

I haven't judged you. I stated what your post looked like to me. That's not a judgement. It's simply a statement of what your post looked like to me. Read my post again, and don't be so quick to judge. You quoted it, so you ought to have understood it.

In the same way, your indication that maybe I don't have a generous heart isn't an actual judgement about me. It's a statement of what I might be, based on your reading of my post.

Probably all of us do that, but I've never heard of anyone giving complete strangers (not charities) significant amounts of money just because they ask for it, so I'm inclined to disbelieve that you do that "all the time" in RL. That's not a judgement. I can't know one way or the other, so it's just what I'm inclined to believe.

You don't have a post in the sense that you mean. When you start a thread, or even just post in one, it's open to comments/replies from all. You don't have any control over it. I don't know what you need. What I do know is that you don't get to pick and choose who replies, or the nature of the replies.

Edited by Phil Deakins

Generous != careless, ignorant, foolish, lightheaded, gullible, overcredulous ... and so on.

If you only wanted applause on how altruistic and open hearted you acted, you should have thought twice - unless you're really being so generous that the chance of supporting scams, thefts and cheating is totally fine with you, just because of that fuzzy "I helped someone, I feel good" feeling.

If you really want to help inworld, go join the staff of newbie help centers or such a thing, spreading knowledge instead of real money.

6 hours ago, Mariposa Rayna said:

I help complete strangers out, inworld and in the real world all the time.

I don't doubt that. I said earlier that I don't believe that you do it with significant amounts of real money, but in case you do, allow me to offer a word of caution that I know from personal experience.

Not every stranger who asks for even small amounts of money on the street, and who look like they really do need it, is genuine. I knew that at the time a couple of men asked me for money for food for themselves. I wouldn't give it because I was certain they wanted it for drink (I could smell drink on them). So, since I was going into a cafe for a meal anyway, I offered to buy them a meal. They didn't want it. They sat on the next table and watched me eating my meal, whilst pestering me for money for food, with the excuse that they would go to a another place that they prefered to eat. They only wanted money for drink. Unfortunately, their pestering succeeded, but I regretted  'helping them out'.

Another time, a guy asked me for busfare to get home, telling me the direction where his home is. I gave it to him, and he went off in the opposite direction. I don't know what wanted a couple of quid for, but it wasn't to get home.

Many street beggars here in the UK make a very good living from begging. I usually add to it, but I do know that some of them are conning us into believing that they are so down on their luck that they need our help, when they don't.

So, as the saying goes, be careful out there.

Mariposa, I understand.  I like to be generous and helpful too.

I have encountered this very situation, but with a friend I've known a long time, not some random stranger.  It can be an honest transaction (though exchanging $L for money or anything of value outside the Linden Exchange is against the Terms of Service).  It can also, as others have warned you, be a money laundering scheme.

There is another common $L trick used by griefers.  Some random stranger will send you a large gift of $L, like say $L10,000.  Or a "friend" will ask you to pay this money "to my alt".  This money has been fraudulently obtained; for example, by someone using a stolen credit card to buy $L.  Because LL is very careful to crack down on $L fraud, you suddenly find your account is banned, or on hold.  If you ever run into this one, don't spend the money right away.  If you get a big gift from someone, file a Support Case and ask LL to verify whether the transaction is legitimate or not.  If it is not, they will take the money out of your account, but you won't be in trouble.  If it is...then go shopping!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2085 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.