Asked to buy a gift card in exchange for lindens

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2106 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Last week while shopping at an event, I received an IM from someone who wanted me to help him with his avi. I like helping people out, so I accepted his tp to where he was to help him out. When I got there, he appeared to be trying on a mesh body. He was speaking on voice(I do not), and he asked me to turn on the mic to hear him, in which he told me that he would like to get a Cabela's gift card for his young cousin, to buy fishing equipment. I am prone to helping out people when they ask, so I purchased a Cabela's gift card(using a Visa vanilla card) and sent it over to the email he provided. In return, he gave me 12k linden. I was fine with that but after a few days my concern that he would ask me to do this again came to fruition. He sent me an email asking me to do it again(presumably to "buy a better tacklebox for his cousin"). He dropped another 15k linden into my acct before I could agree/disagree to helping him out a second time. So what I did is I video'd myself(using my cell phone)returning the 15k he sent to his avi's SL account along with  the message through SL that I would not be able to get him another gift card. I had a weird feeling about this once I got his second request. He may be legit, but it just seems so scammish. Anyone heard of such a scam with gift cards going on like this? Is my SL acct in danger of being accessed? Can I be carted off to jail for my participation? No bashing, please.

• Sad 2

you'r supporting money laundering STOP IT, you can, and will get in serious trouble.

Also you can get in trouble for the case you trade in L$, gifts are ok, till certain level, but structural trade is not allowed.

You can be banned for this.

Also not very wise to put this on a forum, you have now pointed a spotlight on yourself.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mariposa Rayna said:

Anyone heard of such a scam with gift cards going on like this? Is my SL acct in danger of being accessed? Can I be carted off to jail for my participation? No bashing, please.

Yes, it's a known scam. You are laundering money that he may have stolen.

Your account is likely safe - BUT - the Lab can and will take those lindens from you if they were stolen, sometimes they have been known to also do a short administrative hold while they sort things out.

No, you won't be carted to jail though, it's not enough of a crime for that. :)

I agree, no need to bash you, more him! But please, stay safe and don't do this any more. Lindens should never be swapped for "cash", its always wrong.

You did the right thing returning them to him, and your transaction records do show that, no need to video. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Something doesn't smell right here.

2 hours ago, Mariposa Rayna said:

so I purchased a Cabela's gift card(using a Visa vanilla card) and sent it over to the email he provided. In return, he gave me 12k linden.

People do like to be helpful, but to spend real money up front for a total stranger is not something that helpful people tend to do.

We've recently had a number of threads started, where the poster tries out his/her fiction-writing skills, by writing as though something really happened. I'm wondering if this thread is along the same lines. It certainly looks like it to me.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

Not normally, no, but the av's age doesn't exclude it. There's just too much detail in the post for it to ring true for me. For instance, in the part-sentence that I quoted, why include the bit about the Visa card? It made no difference to the story. Why include the bit about him trying on a mesh body? But that's what fiction-writers do - pad the story out with unnecessary detail. There's too much of the fiction writing in the post. And spending real money on the say-so of a stranger who you've never met, and have no way of ever being able to take proceedings against, or even contact again (burner email addresses are no good), isn't something that averagely sensible people do.

L$12,000 is about US$48. Who would give that to a total stranger in the hope that the total stranger will reimburse it? Maybe the OP only gave half that, and thought s/he was onto a good double-your-money thing, in which case, if it goes wrong, s/he should have known better, and s/he gets what s/he deserves. But my money is on it being fiction.

Edited by Phil Deakins

I am leaning towards Phil's thoughts on this.  If it had been me who had bought something for someone this way (not that I would)  I wouldn't be posting on public forums about it if I had second thoughts and worried.  I would be covering my back by contacting LL directly and being up front about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I am leaning towards Phil's thoughts on this.

Aaw... you're just in a particularly good mood this morning, because of last night's brilliant result :D

And you're right, of course. If I'd made such a mistake, I don't know that I'd even do what you said you'd do, and contact LL about it. I'd probably keep my head down altogether.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Haha 4

hehe. It's not easy to get that emotional with such a miss, when you expect to lose anyway - as I did. But it being Henderson made it different, of course. At that stage, I had two things in mind:-

1. It's a penalty shoot-out and we are England

2. We are England :) (I even had that one in mind as the end of 90 minutes approached, so it was no shock to me that Colombia scored.)

From those two, it's very easy not to get your hopes up too high.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

sorry guys.. but the Belgians are going to take it home...

I can't say that you are definitely wrong, but you probably are - especially after only just managing to get past Japan by the skin of your teeth :) 

The England vs Begium match is nothing to go by as both sides had their 'B' teams playing. I was amazed that Belgium actually scored because, in the first half I was getting angry that Belguim appeared to be making sure they ended up with more yellow cards than England, and so finishing in the prefered 2nd place. Scoring the goal took me very much by surprise - a very pleasant surprise too. I wanted Belgium to win that one so that we'd finish in 2nd place.

P.S. I also think it's unlikely that we (England) will bring it home, but you never know. I haven't seen any really good teams this time, so any country that's still in it has a good chance of taking it home.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I can't say that you are definitely wrong, but you probably are - especially after only just managing to get past Japan by the skin of your teeth :)

/me whispers softly... i'm only teasing... first i'm not Belgium  :)  second.... i didn't watch football/soccer (depending where you are how it's called ) for 10 minutes in my whole life i think...it never could take my interest. Still have trauma's from my dad taking me to games...good lord what a horror.

21 people running after a ball... and when they finally are close they kick it away... and al starts over... no logic at all. KEEP it when you get it!

• Haha 2

@Alwin Alcott Oh. I assumed your said Belgium because it's your country. I was fooled by my own assumption :)

4 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

22 and I refuse to recognise the word soccer

Did we derail yet?  ?

Agreed. The word 'soccer' is a huge no-no.

I don't know if we derailed or not. What was the OP's topic again? I forgot O.o

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Alwin Alcott said:

from my home i can see the nuclear plant of Doel, Antwerp is only 30 minutes driving, i'm living close to the border, but i'm totally Dutch.

I do like the Dutch. I'm a mega fan of Andre Rieu, but I got to like them back in the 90s when I was singing for a living. The Dutch were always out to have fun. That's what I found so likeable about them.

4 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

thought 21? ... 10 players each and the arbiter?... keepers are suppose to stay at their goals?

10 outfield players plus the goalie    (Though I think a fit Mo Salah in your team counts as 2 players)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I do like the Dutch. I'm a mega fan of Andre Rieu, but I got to like them back in the 90s when I was singing for a living. The Dutch were always out to have fun. That's what I found so likeable about them.

tonight he's on the Vrijthof again for a serie of concerts...always a real celebration of art.

https://www.andrerieu.com/nl/tour

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2106 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.