Lindsay Dover

Paying Sim Admins in RP Sims

I've always wondered by sim owners expect admins to dedicate their time to helping to grow their vision without compensation. Why is paying sim admins in an rp sim frowned upon?

51 minutes ago, Lindsay Dover said:

I've always wondered by sim owners expect admins to dedicate their time to helping to grow their vision without compensation. Why is paying sim admins in an rp sim frowned upon?

Because paying people costs money, and most RP sims lose money hand over fist anyway?

Because the Sim owner with some "unique vision"  (probably yet another fantasy D&D rip, or Gor rip or gritty-urban-street-thuggery rip or Middle American Suburban Family rip) seriously thinks others should share their "unique vision" and volunteer to work 23 & 1/2 hours a day. 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, just for the hell of it, to make that "vision" work.

Because you are supposed to be all excited at the chance to swagger around wearing a tag that effectively says "Unpaid-Sim-Rent-A-Cop" and reading every like of para-rp godmod chatspam, just in case somebody "needs" ejecting for being ((occ)) without a licence.

But mainly because the kind of people who want those sim-admin jobs, and actively seek them out, are generally bloody awful at them.

Take a look at the occasional outbreaks of "New Su8burban RP sim needs volunteers to rent the EMS plots and stand in them 23 & 1/2 hours a day in case somebody in Group Chat rp's reporting a fire or an accidental leg & chainsaw mishap..." posts that crop up like bad weeds.

• Like 1

No lies told...

I've always thought it odd not to pay people. It's seems slightly selfish to require so much from people for so little in return.

Pay them by what? 
There is barely any roleplay sim that breaks even on their rental fees, most owners pay out of their own pocket.

Plus, based on my experience, the usual situation is that the owner(s) is/are the same as the admin(s). Mods and gamemasters usually coming up because they have some sort of fun doing what they do - quite similar to voluntary work outside of SL.

Your other thread suggests that you do some kind of sim design work. That's a different cup of tea, as landscaping and such is usually considered as one of the high paying jobs. If you are expected to do that for free, well ... I'd reconsider your agreement, if I was in your place.

A sim breaking even isn't the fault of the admin team though and this isn't about me. I don't do sim design and I've been in SL long enough to know better than to work for free. I've just seen some teams comprised of really nice people being taken advantage of by the sim owner. If they are a owner, that's one thing but I'm not talking about those people. I'm talking about the other people that are literally doing thankless work on someone else's project.

10 hours ago, Klytyna said:

But mainly because the kind of people who want those sim-admin jobs, and actively seek them out, are generally bloody awful at them.

Agreed. Running a club - and it has to be exactly the same in RP sims - there really is a whole group of people in SL who love officer powers and do actively seek thsoe powers out. If your place is high traffic they put in even more effort. And if they don't get them, they move on.

Being paid means little to them, the rewards are those officer powers. And when they get those powers they invariably love to throw that weight around.

• Like 1

The sim owner lays out quite a bit of money to open and design a sim. Not everyone who shows up rents from the sim owner. They constantly pay more than they "make" from the sim.

If you don't want to admin then don't. The point of admining is to benefit the group. You lead story arc's. You support the sim rules. 

It's not like the sim owner is making bank of the admin's hard admining work. I've seen poor admins ruin a sim and I've seen great admins raise a sim from the ashes. 

You get what you put in. If you want a good rp community, you need a good team. 

• Like 1

I don't necessarily think paying your admins as being frowned upon. It's been my experience that admins do receive compensation in some ways that aren't really tangible outside of the scope of the rp sim itself. The first thing that comes to mind is additional powers and privileges such as rez rights. As an admin I could rez extra props that might help flesh out an area. I had been in charge of a garage and was able to add a number of additional garage props to make the garage more immersive for everyone else who played in there. 

I also was able to post notices of events I wanted to do in respect to my given assignment. I was also able to have direct input as to how the rp sim was operated and the story line and how to best enforce the rules. In the sense of an actual job the owner might also benefit from your ideas and toss you a bonus. With a rp sim there are ways to do that too if the owner is willing to. Such as giving you a discount on a rental there or even a free rental. Sometimes we might get some of the items that the owner sells for free from time to time. 

I think there are many ways to pay your staff that isn't actual cold hard cash however much of the admin work is on a volunteer basis to begin with. You want people who are passionate about what they are doing and not simply punching a time clock and doing the bare minimal. 

Hey there Duckie! Long time no see!

I totally get what you mean by punching a time clock and doing the bare minimum but there are tons of people claiming they have passion and still mostly doing the bare minimum. I suppose I'm looking for the divide between it all. I believe in compensating people for their time. It's only fair. Too many sim owner act like they are entitled to your time, be it a player or an admin.

At most rp sims i worked in as an admin, the owner(s) didn't require anything. They were just happy we were helping out and we were happy helping out. It wasn't simply work. We had a lot of fun doing it as well. So yes, if a sim specifically hires an admin they should get some form of compensation. But most sims i have seen the admins just rose from the group and naturally became admin.

• Like 1

If the sim managed (or had a sound business plan) to turn a profit, I think it would be fair to pay the admins to help make it happen. But most RP sims are not intended or run as businesses. Pretty tough market.

On 7/2/2018 at 10:00 PM, Lindsay Dover said:

No lies told...

I've always thought it odd not to pay people. It's seems slightly selfish to require so much from people for so little in return.

They don't pay their firefighters or police officer either. Grant it these sim owners spend alot of money to keep a sim going. Often the sim is dead anyway.

I had no idea this was frown upon, as others have said though it simply doesn't happen because sims rarely turn a profit.

As for sims not paying police or firefighters, the ones I've known were grateful to get to roleplay those positions, and to have something to do that qualified as actual RP. They weren't police or EMS or such to get paid, they did it because it was the RP they were looking for, and someone said sure, come be a policeman with us.

Believe it or not a lot of people in SL do things for reasons having nothing to do with anything material, or any sense of gaining some prize or payoff aside from the experience.

I'm helping to build a sim. I've spent hours making the roads, uploading it all, texturing, adding streetcar tracks, aligning and realigning and re-realigning, and I haven't asked for one thin L$ for any of it. I'm helping the sim because I want to. SL is a pastime, and not all of the rewards are things we can spend.

Landscaping is, as has been mentioned, a high-paying gig, and some of the best landscapers command pretty nice fees for their work, and it's worth it. On the other hand, one of my best friends is quite possibly the most organically artistic landscaper whose work I have ever seen in SL, and he does it all for free, only asking for a few L$ when he needs them for something for the job. He says that the feeling he gets from doing something beautiful for people is more than enough for him.

At my home sim, I have full admin rights, my own tag (which I seldom bother wearing), and if I say I don't like someone, well... let's just say everyone else would be quick to block anyone I banned so they couldn't even complain about it, and yet, I have never banned anyone, and only ever ejected someone for trying to sexually assault my avatar (I play a kid, and also am not into being assaulted in any way, unless I'm doing consensual combat play). I know a lot of people want admin rights just to kick people around, but the ones who stand out for that might sometimes be blocking people's view of the ones who do it for the love of their respective communities, and trust me, there are many of them, too.

I think that if people wish to be compensated for what they do, they have every right to be. I also feel that if people are happy with what they get in return for their hard work, they have every right to be. And if you are dismayed by how things are in SL, you have every right to be, as well.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1

On my Roleplay Alt I have led factions and have helped to manage entire sims. Generally I contributed my own $ to help keep the sim afloat and was never paid for my services.

Why? Love of the game.

Literate, freeform roleplay (I’m not talking sexplay or click-shoot sims) is a consensual story written by the group. In my mind, at the top-end thats a form of performance-art and its not unusual to sacrifice for art.

Being a Faction or Sim leader is stressful, it cuts into your RP time and eventually gave me a case of burnout (due to the nature of how some players approach RP)- but I would never consider asking to be paid for my services.

I made a contribution to keep something I loved afloat for a while, and that was compensation enough...