Old problem. Fix? Splayed hands/fingers.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 558 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, LolitaFrance Anthony said:

Mesh, yes. I use the latest Slink Dynamic hands. I don't know what bento means, and even if I qualify I wouldn't know where to get such an AO. Thanks very much for your reply. :) 

You need some sort of NEW AO to go along with those hands. Seems like the hands should have that in the mix but maybe not. There are likely free bento hand AOs on the Marketplace, mini ones anyway.    

The Slink Dynamic hands have a set of idle animations built into them. They should work as long as the animations are enabled. In local chat, try: /15 idle on
This is assuming that the female hands work the same as the male ones. I don't see why they wouldn't. The idle animations are low priority so most any animation will override them. It's possible something else you're using is affecting the hands.

This bug has suddenly been happening a lot to one of my alts, who still has an entirely classic body. It doesn't seem to be affected by location, it happens everywhere. I can stop it with "Stop Avatar Animations" but within five seconds, there it is again.

I'm concerned that it's still happening with the slink hands; getting those was my plan to fix it.

I just had a friend test this as he has to turn ON an AO for hands each time he logs in (altamura free).  He went to a no script sim and the AO still worked fine. So it doesn't seem to be a universal problem. 

And yes, a "jazz hands" thing.  Seems likely that it has something to do with scripting as the new Bento avatars seem to be MUCH more difficult to script than the non-Bento. This from several brands with issues on new releases :D.   

• Like 1

I think it's something that's changed server-side in the past week. I haven't had this problem in years, until this week.

And AOs, including bento AOs, will continue to work on no-script regions, provided they're already on when you arrive.

And wouldn't you know, just when I logged in to get a snapshot to show you how annoying it is, it's stopped.

Edited by Lewis Luminos

• 1 year later...

Meanwhile, the issue seems to happen everywhere, with a large number of Bento attachments, combined with the classic avatar (which I prefer for easy modding).

Supposedly the issue is caused by the way the animation uploader is designed: It seems to default to adding the splayed hand pose to the animation, instead of a neutral "do not affect hands" setting. Since many creators will be using mesh avatars where the hand pose is explicitly set, they may not notice, that they produce attachments that breaks other configurations.*

My current workaround is to use mesh hands instead. For my own use, I've created simple tintable ones based on the female "avatar.blend" template, for when I am not using other mesh hands. It looks a bit awkward since the hands are always static, but definitely better than splayed hands.

The other option is to use expression HUDs and hope that the attachment animations haven't been given maximum priority. If they have, only mesh hands remain as possibility.

* This is hearsay essentially. I couldn't find the thread where I found that claim anymore.

Edited by Noel Loordes

On 7/3/2018 at 6:08 AM, Parhelion Palou said:

The Slink Dynamic hands have a set of idle animations built into them. They should work as long as the animations are enabled. In local chat, try: /15 idle on
This is assuming that the female hands work the same as the male ones. I don't see why they wouldn't. The idle animations are low priority so most any animation will override them. It's possible something else you're using is affecting the hands.

You did not get the idle animation with the female Dynamic hands unless you had bought minimum a pack or more of the previous hands with the static animations. I know this because Marianne got the updated hands with the idle animation, and my alts, who only had the hands with relaxed static hands, did not get it.

I am not sure if the guys got that idle animation with fewer purchases than the females, or if they also had to have bought a pack of hands.

The idle animation is for sale in the Slink store. I have read that it is possible to add only animated hands to older AO's but I have no idea how.

Perhaps some can post here how they do it, I have many older AO's. But I use the Firestorm AO and would like to have idle hands there too - with my old stands that I like.

With avatar-stands and hand animations we hit a minor snag. All the AOs I am aware of allow one animation at time to run. So we run one AO to play the stand. We run another to animate the face. We run another to animate the hands. Eventually someone will combine them.

31 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

With avatar-stands and hand animations we hit a minor snag. All the AOs I am aware of allow one animation at time to run. So we run one AO to play the stand. We run another to animate the face. We run another to animate the hands. Eventually someone will combine them.

Buy fully bento animations. These days they're alll animating at least the body and hands. Some few might mess with the face but SOME face animations tend to look very bad when animating a different brand of head that the one they were made for. I say some because I've been finding that animations that were made for Catwa seem to be animating two different brands of furry heads just fine... but looked weird on another human head...

I've been slowly tossing out all my old pre-bento animations... for furniture that's going to take me ages because people are still charing money for furniture with broken animations in it rather then update their products... but for my own AO I've been done for almost a year across a half dozen alts.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

Yes, but... while people are adding hand animation into stands, dances, and sits... and etc. we don't have much control. We play the animation or not.

If the stand-animation has level 3 animation of the hands we can override the hand-animation with a level/priority 4 animation. So far I have only seen the ability to do this with multiple HUDs.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 558 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.