Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Talligurl said:

Those who study history are doomed to stand by helplessly while everyone else repeats it.

Not entirely helplessly, but with increasing limits. I have never before now believed it could happen here.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I don't watch commercial TV, I find it mind-numbing. I get most of my real-time news and analysis from NPR, which tells stories at a more measured pace, and with greater depth, than what I've seen from commercial news outlets. I also read the NYTimes, Washington Post, Boston Globe, Fox News, Fivethirtyeight, and I pop in on Breitbart and Drudge now and then, particularly when I think the left is getting too worked up over the wrong things and I want to see an alternative view. I consume the news at my pace. It is possible.

I just don’t see this looming crisis in terms of conservative vs liberal. 

I monitor a lot of different media. The most valuable source of information for me is MSNBC, esp Maddow.

Also, I know this struggle is worldwide, it’s not just us. It helps knowing we are in this together.

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This point of view may be unpopular with some who don’t know my background - but I assiduously avoid involving RL politics in my Second Life when I can.

I’m politically active to some degree in RL (cash and time) and occasionally get dragged through the crap-fest that US politics are at present on both major sides. To my way of thinking, I engage on those topics at times of my choosing and am more effective in that discussion because I don’t LET myself get too freaked out about it.

I once had trouble not getting freaked out about stuff - so learning moderation was literally a survival issue with me. Some things and memories are by their nature very hard to live with and can leave a very negative opinion of Human Civilization.

So....I don’t engage in political stuffs much here. SL is my personal safe space from the polarized atmosphere and mutually-exclusive world views that pervade contemporary America. I see too many people here in SL who like each other *right up until they start talking politics* because way too many people never bothered to learn how to cope with differences of opinion w/o using a verbal flamethrower.

To be fair, I also don’t get my news from Fox/CNN/MSNBC or the other domestic News-as-Entertainment outlets. Stopping that and deleting my RL social media did wonders for my stress level :-)

I once had to learn how to deal with some very *bad* things and part of the bonus for that was learning how not to let temporary political figures or events press me into treating other people poorly. I do what I can in RL to combat the bad stuff - and in SL I just do my best to love all of you :-)

So I applaud anyone who can find a reason to stick with other people - even when they disagree. Maybe if we can do that, it will lead to more Reason and less Invective and a better, cleaner world.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AmandaKeen said:

This point of view may be unpopular with some who don’t know my background - but I assiduously avoid involving RL politics in my Second Life when I can.

I’m politically active to some degree in RL (cash and time) and occasionally get dragged through the crap-fest that US politics are at present on both major sides. To my way of thinking, I engage on those topics at times of my choosing and am more effective in that discussion because I don’t LET myself get too freaked out about it.

I once had trouble not getting freaked out about stuff - so learning moderation was literally a survival issue with me. Some things and memories are by their nature very hard to live with and can leave a very negative opinion of Human Civilization.

So....I don’t engage in political stuffs much here. SL is my personal safe space from the polarized atmosphere and mutually-exclusive world views that pervade contemporary America. I see too many people here in SL who like each other *right up until they start talking politics* because way too many people never bothered to learn how to cope with differences of opinion w/o using a verbal flamethrower.

To be fair, I also don’t get my news from Fox/CNN/MSNBC or the other domestic News-as-Entertainment outlets. Stopping that and deleting my RL social media did wonders for my stress level :-)

I once had to learn how to deal with some very *bad* things and part of the bonus for that was learning how not to let temporary political figures or events press me into treating other people poorly. I do what I can in RL to combat the bad stuff - and in SL I just do my best to love all of you :-)

So I applaud anyone who can find a reason to stick with other people - even when they disagree. Maybe if we can do that, it will lead to more Reason and less Invective and a better, cleaner world.

I have close friends on both sides, Some of whom will no longer speak to those on the other side. I have made it clear that the relationship takes  priority for me (my husband and I) so in all cases the relationship has survived in spite of very strong partisanship. It’s very possible to compartmentalize and respect boundaries. I just don’t discuss it. What is not possible for me is to look the other way.

 

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Pamela Galli said:

I have close friends on both sides, Some of whom will no longer speak to those on the other side. I have made it clear that the relationship takes  priority for my husband and I, so in all cases the relationship has survived in spite of very strong partisanship on both sides. It’s very possible to compartmentalize and respect boundaries. What is not possible for me is to look the other way.

 

I'm not "Keen" on ignoring a problem, but I do try to avoid the now-common tactic of demonizing people who believe differently than I do.  When life becomes about 24x7 politics and acrimony (as it does with several people I know in RL at work and socially) - it becomes too easy for them to rationalize bad behavior of their own because they have whipped themselves into an emotional frenzy.  

Moderation in all things keeps me out of the bad part of my head.....which is someplace *I* specifically need to avoid.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you get tired, or overwhelmed, it's perfectly okay to take a break. This is something all choir performers learn, and it totally fits. 

music.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although being German, I get my news from all over the place. Through the day, mainly via radio, but I also subscribed to quite a few German newspapers and magazines, indymedia and change.org -- and also to Washington Post and New York Times, in order to get an inside view on the things happening in the USA.  Oh, and not to forget the regular newsletters by Michael Moore. ;)

I get the headlines of all of them in my inbox, so I can choose what to read further.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Shh folks it is a cycle - in order to appreciate freedom you have to go through oppression - it's as simple as that. While an individual might be intelligent enough to say "Oh no, please stop! I can value freedom without suffering oppression." society as a whole never learns that lesson.

Moron as president = Oppression. My Starbucks coffee is cold = assault.  #firstworldproblems

 

6 hours ago, AmandaKeen said:

This point of view may be unpopular with some who don’t know my background - but I assiduously avoid involving RL politics in my Second Life when I can.

I’m politically active to some degree in RL (cash and time) and occasionally get dragged through the crap-fest that US politics are at present on both major sides. To my way of thinking, I engage on those topics at times of my choosing and am more effective in that discussion because I don’t LET myself get too freaked out about it.

I once had trouble not getting freaked out about stuff - so learning moderation was literally a survival issue with me. Some things and memories are by their nature very hard to live with and can leave a very negative opinion of Human Civilization.

So....I don’t engage in political stuffs much here. SL is my personal safe space from the polarized atmosphere and mutually-exclusive world views that pervade contemporary America. I see too many people here in SL who like each other *right up until they start talking politics* because way too many people never bothered to learn how to cope with differences of opinion w/o using a verbal flamethrower.

To be fair, I also don’t get my news from Fox/CNN/MSNBC or the other domestic News-as-Entertainment outlets. Stopping that and deleting my RL social media did wonders for my stress level :-)

I once had to learn how to deal with some very *bad* things and part of the bonus for that was learning how not to let temporary political figures or events press me into treating other people poorly. I do what I can in RL to combat the bad stuff - and in SL I just do my best to love all of you :-)

So I applaud anyone who can find a reason to stick with other people - even when they disagree. Maybe if we can do that, it will lead to more Reason and less Invective and a better, cleaner world.

Bold for emphasis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just listening to a White House press briefing tells all. Most of the reporters in that room that ask questions daily just make me cringe. The bias, idiocy and the serious lack of any sort of professionalism is mind blowing.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Myself,I don't think missing the news on social media and blogs and a lot of places that have gone overboard,plus not watching some entertainment places that have gone serious from comedy..Is turning the other way and not caring..

I also don't allow politics to be discussed at my dinner table either..

When I watch news,I want news not opinion or to be lead in any certain direction.. I just want the truth without all the mustard.That's not me not caring,that just me sifting..

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ThorinII said:

also to Washington Post and New York Times,

Me, too. They are the gold standard for news worldwide, and we in the US have never needed or appreciated more what they and other reliable news sources are doing during this crisis. They are rising to the occasion as they did during our last great political crisis, Watergate, and I am grateful for the truly heroic effort they are making.

That said, my purpose in this thread is to say thank you* to others in this forum worldwide aware of and supporting us in this struggle — not to debate. I don’t do debate in forums. 

*And to those good friends we have insulted, I am so very sorry. We are just mortified. :(

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

Also, I know this struggle is worldwide, it’s not just us. It helps knowing we are in this together.

What struggle? Many countries have 2-party political systems, but it's not usually considered to be a "sruggle". If it isn't your 2-party system, or the fact that you have an astonishingly weird president at the moment, I have no idea what you are talking about. So I beg to differ. We are not in this together - whatever 'this' is. You did say that therre were some rallies in support, but in support of what?

You started this thread with "Thank you world", but, although yoyu've been asked, you haven't yet told us what you thanked the world for, and, like KanryDrago, and no doubt many or most other people, I am in the dark.

 

Edited by Phil Deakins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

What struggle? Many countries have 2-party political systems, but it's not usually considered to be a "sruggle". If it isn't your 2-party system, or the fact that you have an astonishingly weird president at the moment, I have no idea what you are talking about. So I beg to differ. We are not in this together - whatever 'this' is. You did say that therre were some rallies in support, but in support of what?

You started this thread with "Thank you world", but, although yoyu've been asked, you haven't yet told us what you thanked the world for, and I don't what you're talking about. I'm like KanryDrago - in the dark.

 

That’s because I am only addressing those who are already aware, not trying to make anyone aware, other than to specify the sympathy rallies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In that case, I can only repeat that we are not in this together. I think it's a bad thing that the forum is being used to address a few 'in the know' people, with no hope of the forum population knowing what's being talked about. There are other means of doing that.

On the other hand, it does leave this thread ripe for hijacking, because it doesn't have a publically stated topic to stick to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Me, too. They are the gold standard for news worldwide, and we in the US have never needed or appreciated more what they and other reliable news sources are doing during this crisis. They are rising to the occasion as they did during our last great political crisis, Watergate, and I am grateful for the truly heroic effort they are making.

That said, my purpose in this thread is to say thank you* to others in this forum worldwide aware of and supporting us in this struggle — not to debate. I don’t do debate in forums. 

*And to those good friends we have insulted, I am so very sorry. We are just mortified. :(

lolwut

That's sarcasm, right?

 

11 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

What struggle? Many countries have 2-party political systems, but it's not usually considered to be a "sruggle". If it isn't your 2-party system, or the fact that you have an astonishingly weird president at the moment, I have no idea what you are talking about. So I beg to differ. We are not in this together - whatever 'this' is. You did say that therre were some rallies in support, but in support of what?

You started this thread with "Thank you world", but, although yoyu've been asked, you haven't yet told us what you thanked the world for, and, like KanryDrago, and no doubt many or most other people, I am in the dark.

 

Well you see, here in the US, when someone gets elected that we don't like, it's a worldwide conspiracy to take our guns away. Or it's a regression to the 1800's for the Equal Rights movement. Then in 4 to 8 years, it's back to the other one again.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know :) The chopping and changing is a common phenomena in many countries, including here in the UK, although the gun laws topic is peculiar to the U.S.

Is she talking about Trump, then?

We were in danger of getting a buffoon for a Prime Minister not long ago. Our countries were almost twins :D

Edited by Phil Deakins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Phil Deakins said:

I know. The chopping and changing is a common phenomena in many countries, including here in the UK, although the gun laws topic is peculiar to the U.S.

Is she talking about Trump, then?

Based on that thing about the Post and Times, that was my guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was disappointed that she left the BBC out of her list, because I've always seen the BBC as being the most reliable of news sources for the world, but I do have a very high regard for the Washington Post. I only know name of the New York Times. I have no idea about its content. It may be pretty much the same as the Times here, which is also highly reputable.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

President Trump said he will make America great again. im not crazy about increasing tariffs because thats just a higher tax on American citizens but otherwise hes doing a great job.

Thank you Mr President

*ooops time for the beach... see yas*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great what? He's certainly making a noise in the western world. Starting a trade war is a very good way to be 'great'ly noticed lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

Great what? He's certainly making a noise in the western world. Starting a trade war is a very good way to be 'great'ly noticed lol.

So is kicking an old lady down a flight of stai- You know what? I'd better not give anyone any ideas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

I was disappointed that she left the BBC out of her list, because I've always seen the BBC as being the most reliable of news sources for the world, but I do have a very high regard for the Washington Post. I only know name of the New York Times. I have no idea about its content. It may be pretty much the same as the Times here, which is also highly reputable.

 I’m fond of the BBC.  Their Global News Podcast is one I stream every day on Overcast as I drive to work. Their coverage of the US is less-domestically-partisan than Fox/CNN/MSNBC and very often covers global news I would otherwise have to scrub through my news-amagmamation feed to even know about.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2018 at 11:43 AM, Sora Seetan said:

I completely agree with you. It is part of the reason why I quit going on Facebook is every single status for the last year has been trump this, trump that, oh look I baked a pie and here is 50 pictures of my kids that you never asked for, more trump, incase you didn't see it TRUMP AGAIN.

To be quite honest I'm flat out bored of the whole affair. All I ever see or hear these days are political discussions and arguments, left vs right etc and it gets exhausting. Im bored of trump, I'm bored of the left vs right nonsense, bored of the 'North Korea threat', bored of hearing about trump vs North Korea, Im beyond bored of hearing other peoples political opinions....in fact il go as far as saying I am bored of hearing about politics full stop. I think il start advocating a new way of being....not having a particular political opinion and just being chill with everyone. Il write a manifesto of sorts....perhaps a series of guidelines.. :

 

--10 key points for the 'Lets Advocate For A Better Humanity' Movement (LAFABH)-

1. Just be cool and chill with one another. Its not hard. If you really do not like someone just walk away. You don't need to be a d**k about it.

2.  Race, Sexuality, Gender, Creed, Religion....these things do not matter at the end of the day...let people enjoy their lives as they wish so long as they do not harm another. If you find that these things really do offend you...then re evaluate your life a little and realise how little these things actually affect you.

3. Don't hurt or cause damage to another person. They have as much right to live on this earth as you do.

4. Don't allow yourself to get caught up in petty dramas. Walk away, if your life is that boring that you feel the need to get involved in such things...go outside and realise there is a whole world out there waiting to be explored that is infinitely more interesting than what miss ratchet just said to miss bougie who ripped miss ratchets wig off. 

5. Spend more time focusing on yourself and figuring out what makes you happy and then go with it. Learn to enjoy your life and enjoy who you are. Also develop yourself, learn new things and try new experiences.

6. Remove toxic people from your environment for a more stress free and pleasurable existence.

7. Drink more wine. It makes everything infinitely more interesting.

8. If you find yourself getting stressed out then mast****e more frequently. Its a great stress reliever.

9. Go out for a 30 minute walk per day. Fitness is the key to a healthy and productive mind. If you are unable to walk then figure out another way to exercise that works for you. Either way just go and get some fresh air, its good for you.

10. The final one....Life is short..shorter than you think..find a way to enjoy it! Own who you are and what you do and never ever let anyone else dictate to you how your life should be and you YOU should be. Dress how you want, be who you want, do what you want. If anyone has an issue with it then just ignore them. Surround yourself with people who support you and want to help build you up, not drag you down. Life is yours for the taking, so take it already!.

Peace!

in case you didn't know, you are basically a Libertarian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AmandaKeen said:

 I’m fond of the BBC.  Their Global News Podcast is one I stream every day on Overcast as I drive to work. Their coverage of the US is less-domestically-partisan than Fox/CNN/MSNBC and very often covers global news I would otherwise have to scrub through my news-amagmamation feed to even know about.

NPR runs BBC in real-time from late evening until early morning, so when I say I listen to NPR, BBC is included... and very much appreciated. The list of shows I posted is in addition to NPR's news, which includes Morning Edition, Weekend Edition and All Things Considered and relays of BBC news. In wee hours, my time, there are also BBC productions, some of which I find interesting, but not so much as shows like Hidden Brain or Radiolab.

BBC brings much better world coverage than US news organizations. Way back when I listened to short-wave, I also got news from Radio Deutsche Welle. I'd skim around to catch English language broadcasts from stations in the UAE, Equador (HCJB for music) and sometimes Asia. I found it illuminating to hear world news stories told from outside the US.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...