SpookyTheZombieKat

How would Second Life run on this kind of laptop?

So, back in 2016 my moms stupid bf destroyed my good laptop. Since then I've been playing SL on a refurbished slow Probook (on a 3rd party viewer). Now that my bday is coming up, my mom decided she'd help me get a new laptop. There are a few I've been looking at. One of thems a Levono Y520, it would have an Intel core i7, and an Nvidia Graphics card (GTX 1050 Ti). I'm wondering, how well would that run SL? I'd like to be able to run the regular SL viewer again, hopefully on fast settings and actually be able to see objects and the terrain clearly. What do you guys think?

That will run SL as well as SL can be run  :)

(Games will run shockingly well)

I would seriously consider getting the highest gfx card version you can simply for longevity.

3 hours ago, SpookyTheZombieKat said:

One of thems a Levono Y520, it would have an Intel core i7, and an Nvidia Graphics card (GTX 1050 Ti). I'm wondering, how well would that run SL?

Very well for sure.

On 6/30/2018 at 11:48 AM, SpookyTheZombieKat said:

So, back in 2016 my moms stupid bf destroyed my good laptop. Since then I've been playing SL on a refurbished slow Probook (on a 3rd party viewer). Now that my bday is coming up, my mom decided she'd help me get a new laptop. There are a few I've been looking at. One of thems a Levono Y520, it would have an Intel core i7, and an Nvidia Graphics card (GTX 1050 Ti). I'm wondering, how well would that run SL? I'd like to be able to run the regular SL viewer again, hopefully on fast settings and actually be able to see objects and the terrain clearly. What do you guys think?

core i7 are outdated and slow an over priced what you need is a new ryzen 5 laptop with a gtx 1060 thats much cheaper faster an stronger 

Its a bit over a year old. It comes with a 7th Generation Intel Core i7-7700HQ. There are newer CPU's, but this is still a hot CPU.

For SL Intel CPU's tend to out perform AMD because the i7's have hyper-threading. AMD counts on multiple cores to make up the difference. For a number of games AMD is often better. But, Intel and AMD leapfrog each other. So, if you are getting a good price... this will work well.

Lenovo has a reputation for making excellent computer the last few years.

• Like 1

On 02/07/2018 at 6:59 AM, Quinn Lysette said:

core i7 are outdated and slow an over priced what you need is a new ryzen 5 laptop with a gtx 1060 thats much cheaper faster an stronger 

SL is not excessively threaded and does still depend heavily on single core speed. Depending on the model, an i7 will perform better than a Ryzen for SL.

I'd ask... does it absolutely has to be a laptop? They always cost more than desktops and they all eventually die from overheating because of the lack of adequate cooling..

• Like 1

@Kyrah Abattoir O.o That'd be a new one for me. I've had a number of laptops, one died from some virus, didn't have the money to fix that. My second one I had before this one worked great, but some guy destroyed it in drunken rage. I shall remember and be mindful though :) thanks!