Akemi Riverstone

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2099 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Okay so.... I'm like baffled. Like.... Why is secondlife raising the money amount for $L's? As I see it right now its way to much money. In our minds, 9$ may be nothing for like 2000$L but if you add it up when you want more $L its 18$ for 4000$L. This is to much. The amount of money I remember spending on SL for $L's was 7$ for 2000$L. For 98$ i could get 28000$L but now a days, you only get roughly 24.5k$L for 100$, so you end up losing around 4000$L. I am on SSI so I cant afford SL like I use to. So I wish Secondlife would lower the income payments so we can get more $L for our buck. If they need more money may be they need to down grade whatever they are doing that is costing so much money in the first place. 

So,.... what do yall think of this money issue? Should Linden Labs be aware of this money issue? Should they change it? Do you think they are going to lose people if they lowered the money amount? 

Tell me what yall think. 

4 answers to this question

It's all been explained in several blog posts and in last month's open meetings with Ebbe.  The Lab has made several large cuts in the cost of land, which everyone agrees have been long overdue.  They are trying to find a better economic balance between income from land and income from the LindeX, so have moved some revenue out of the land side and into the LindeX side.  I encourage you to read the blogs and watch the full video of the town hall meetings.

BTW, you pay the same fixed fee for buying a lot of L$ that you do for buying only a small amount, so it makes sense to always buy L$10,000 instead of buying only L$1000 at a time or (heaven forbid) buying L$ when you purchase things in Marketplace.

Edited by Rolig Loon

Akemi, the price of the $L has varied up and down over time.  When I joined in 2007, it traded at about $L270 to $USD 1.00.

But whatever the going rate may be, you're better off buying the largest amount you can afford at one go, rather than breaking it up into smaller purchases...because of the fixed transaction fee.  That's $0.99 USD per purchase right now, but as of July 2, it's going up to $1.49.

As Rolig says, LL has been decreasing the cost of land (and increasing the number of prims that a piece of land can support), and is making some increases in the other costs of Second Life to compensate.  People have been griping for years about the high cost of virtual land.  Now, I suppose, they'll gripe about the high cost of buying virtual money.  Still, it's more fair...it spreads the cost of running SL across more of the user base.

If you don't like the cost of $L, maybe you should buy some land and try renting it out.

Edited by Lindal Kidd

2 hours ago, Akemi Riverstone said:

For 98$ i could get 28000$L

last time the exchange rate was 286/1 .... 1855?

3 hours ago, Akemi Riverstone said:

I cant afford SL like I use to.

Tell me what yall think. 

spend what you cán... not what you would like.

what do yall think of this money issue? Should Linden Labs be aware of this money issue?

Sounds to me like it's your personal financial postition that made the biggest change, i'm not really sure LL needs to be aware of it.

Do you think they are going to lose people if they lowered the money amount?

No, with the raising fees you have to buy smarter, bigger amounts. But a lower frequency, buy 2500 because you see a nice dress.... buy again because you see a nice car will get pretty expensive.
And perhaps they will loose some people, i doubt it will be many. Also, the ones that don't want to spend any rl money are always been a quite substantial group residents in sl. They manage often perfectly to get a very satisfying sl experience, go do hunts, take a job, ...find part of the fun in finding nice, cheap or free items ?.. there are really a lot.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2099 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.