animats

Whatever happened to Sansar?

Autostereoscopy is certainly possible (I refer you to the Nintendo 3DS, the newer being a much improved system with eye tracking), they are however fundamentally limited. The best you can hope for from a screen based solution is a limited single person 3D experience.

I do agree though, strapping a brick to you face is never going to be the iteration of this technology that actually delivers.

Personally, I'm holding out for curved screens and wide angle VR hats in the short term, and painting the pixels onto my retinas with lasers.

On 30.6.2018 at 10:06 PM, OptimoMaximo said:

I just hope Sansar will take less time than BlueMars to permanently and definitely die and end up into oblivion .

Sorry Optimo, but I disagee with you there. I hope Sansar eventually will prosper and become a sustainable virtual reality alternative for user segments that don't find Second Life suitable for their needs.

Unfortunately, good hopes and wishful thinking don't always guarantee success. Sansar will also need clearly defined customer target groups, solid market analyzis of those target groups, a good road map with realistic deadlines for the software development and an exceptionally good marketing plan.

29 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Sorry Optimo, but I disagee with you there. I hope Sansar eventually will prosper and become a sustainable virtual reality alternative for user segments that don't find Second Life suitable for their needs.

No need to be sorry ChinRey. You have your good reasons to think so. However, the model they're following has already shown the results with BlueMars. I don't find SL suitable to my needs as well but this doesn't make me blind. From the first release to the "Material Editor" joke they announced, what i can see is nothing better than BlueMars was. The main factor that drew BM to death are strongly in place in Sansar right now, with the addition of a character that barely moves around.

Direct import from MD clothing with auto-adjustments to make it fit to the avatar? Interesting, but highly inefficient with those highpoly, messed topology models within an already highly demanding rendering setup. PBR shaders allow normal mapping and height maps in the form of parallax displacement, so why? Why an early implementation of marginal features like clothing, when base features like a fully functional shader, a REAL material editor unlike that joke they call so, a terrain system that isn't a joke as well and an animation editor with state machines (for characters and objects) aren't available yet, just to list a few?

52 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Unfortunately, good hopes and wishful thinking don't always guarantee success.

Yes that's right: on my side, as i won't see what is necessary in an engine to attract me (and those like me) to create anything in there, and on a consumer/visitor standpoint as well, when people can't see the features anyone would expect, after comparing Sansar to the involved technologies as commonly seen anywhere. Why would a creator go to Sansar in this state, when you can create your game with Unity or Unreal Engine just using available/purchasable resources? Why a consumer would stay, when there are better options to spend their time/money on, like MMO and/or action games that also allow modding? For a social experience? Good luck with that, "good hopes and wishful thinking don't always guarantee success".

1 hour ago, OptimoMaximo said:

No need to be sorry ChinRey. You have your good reasons to think so. However, the model they're following has already shown the results with BlueMars.

The point I wanted to make was I think it's important to distinguish between "hope" and "belief" here. Several people here have clearly stated they don't want Sansar to succeed. I don't follow that at all. I do not think Sansar stands a chance for all the reasons mentioned here and more and yes, maybe the best thing to do would be to put it out of its misery as soon as possible. But I'd still be very happy if I was wrong and LL somehow found a way to save it.

as i won't see what is necessary in an engine to attract me (and those like me) to create anything in there

The first content creators who were invited to Sansar were mainly professionals from outside Second Life. It would be very interesting to know how many of those still persist, that would be a very good indicator of Sansar's chances.

"good hopes and wishful thinking don't always guarantee success".

Can I claim copyright for that phrase? ^_^

1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

But I'd still be very happy if I was wrong and LL somehow found a way to save it.

Me too. The problem stands in the "underlying wiring" and how it could develop in the future, which is what won't allow any rescue for that, in my opinion

The first content creators who were invited to Sansar were mainly professionals from outside Second Life.

That's how i got the invitation, btw. I didn't request the entrance, i was contacted on my freelancing email.

Can I claim copyright for that phrase? ^_^

sure, that's why i put the sentence between quotes. I quoted you :)

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Arty Ziplon said:

People don't like to wear stuff on their heads, that's why 3d movies aren't more common. When they can figure out how to create a 3d monitor that requires nothing but you to look at it VR will take off.

3D TVs are not VR. 

Edit: Oh there was a whole other page of posts. 

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

3 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

3D TVs are not VR. 

Edit: Oh there was a whole other page of posts. 

I know but my point is as long as there is a requirement for people to wear uncomfortable things on their heads VR will not be popular. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Autostereoscopy is certainly possible (I refer you to the Nintendo 3DS, the newer being a much improved system with eye tracking), they are however fundamentally limited. The best you can hope for from a screen based solution is a limited single person 3D experience.

I do agree though, strapping a brick to you face is never going to be the iteration of this technology that actually delivers.

Personally, I'm holding out for curved screens and wide angle VR hats in the short term, and painting the pixels onto my retinas with lasers.

I'm waiting for the direct brain implants.

2 hours ago, Phorumities said:

I'm waiting for the direct brain implants.

Direct Brain Implants will of course require the typical VR-Game-Junkie to HAVE a brain...

And that will probably always be a severe problem...

;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 6/28/2018 at 12:09 PM, animats said:

Not hearing much about Sansar lately. New World Notes points out that LL is trying to reposition it away from headset VR, after discovering that most users are on PCs. Other than that, almost no news. Anything going on over there?

The word from E3 is that VR is over in gaming. Both Microsoft and Nintendo have announced that they will not be supporting VR on their next generation consoles. Sony hasn't given up yet. Facebook has a different vision, with the Oculus Go, which is not about virtual worlds.

vr is not good  what we need is  holodecks like on star trek with tons of x rated stuff and real sex without the stds

• Thanks 1

On 7/4/2018 at 12:58 AM, CoffeeDujour said:

Yep. I have a cheap 3D tablet.

8 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Make and model ?

Aiptek APF21X (was $139).

Its really just a photo/video display. Got it to display 3D photos and videos taken with a cheap 3D camera Aiptek DDD11K - was $75 but now $405?! (but both my TV’s are 3D too). Just never really use this stuff.