Intermittent Failure of Avatars to Render

Moniquexi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2102 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am a machinima/film maker here in SL with a primary focus on SL dance.  I am frequently filming shows at very crowded dance venues.  From time to time I am unable to see all of the avatars that may be performing in a dance routine.  It is not a low complexity issue.  They just never render at all and are totally invisible.  It is not uncommon that when I cannot see one of the dancers during a performance, there will be others (not everyone)  in the audience who will also state that the dancer is invisible to them.  This was the case last night when I  was filming a show at Winds of the Sahara Cabaret (http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Aladona/124/194/2002).  One of the dancers in the troupe was performing in 3 of the dances and was invisible to me in all three dances. 

I am trying to understand why this happens and if there is a remedy to prevent this from occurring in the future.  Any insight about this issue or suggestions/recommendations for prevention is greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Tristan Lyonesse (moniquexi)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HkKSTjdIQCIFUBU506m3g?view_as=public

These are the components of my PC and the settings I use when filming:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz (3191.99 MHz)
Memory: 32704 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 17134)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 24.21.13.9811
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 398.11

Settings mode: Firestorm
Window size: 2560x1440 px
UI Scaling: 1.25
Draw distance: 112 m
Bandwidth: 1500 kbit/s
LOD factor: 4
Render quality: Ultra (7/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: Yes
Texture memory: 2048 MB (1)
Packets Lost: 0/33,337 (0.0%)
June 25 2018 05:53:42 SLT

4 answers to this question

I have no "technical" recommendation, but what I personaly use when something is stuck grey or not rezzing is to lower graphics settings, turn off lights and shadows (if you use them) and this way I let it all rez, then I set back ultra. Sometimes its even enough just to restrict shadows for while.

2 hours ago, Moniquexi said:

Bandwidth: 1500 kbit/s
LOD factor: 4
Render quality: Ultra (7/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: Yes

Turn your bandwidth down to 1000, and I'd lower the LOD to something that wasn't twice the recommended default. If you are using the "One Graphics Slider to Rule Them All" to set graphics options, don't.

I'd also turn off Depth of Field, but thats just me hating imitations of bad photography in rendering engines as a "realism" feature.

When OTHER peoples avatars fail to render, it's usually one of two things, Plan A, your viewer is choking up on the downloaded content (bandwidth too high for example) or chocking on drawing it (LoD too high), or Plan B, they attached too many components of their mesh avatar to their right hand and something major popped off.

Standard fix for Plan B is they relog... A better fix is them using the "refresh attachments" option in the Avatar Health (?) menu in FS, or Advanced Menu in Catznip.

Standard fix for Plan A, whine at other people to relog / rebake, then fix your settings. A better fix, drop your draw distance to minimum, cam away outside your draw distance, then hit escape to drag your camera back home to you and set your DD back to your usual value, this forces the viewer to redraw the whole scene which can make those invisible people visible again.

Your setting changes may make a difference, but probably not. Since others also do not see the avatar it is more likely a problem at the computer controlling that avatar or with the region server.

Your settings are fine for machinima. Trying to edit in DoF in post is impractical. Plus you machine seems more than capable. Unless you are seeing some jitter, your machine is not the likely cause of the avatar not rendering.

I assume they have rehearsals. Observe during the rehearsal to see if the same problem is present and if it is the same avatar.

If it is always the same avatar, have them check their connection to the SL servers. http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

I would also make sure my cache is preloaded. See all the dancers in all the outfits before the show. If the last rehearsal is the day before, you should be good. But, the cache in the viewers is flaky and the Lindens are currently collecting data to analyze what they can do to improve it. That project will probably start this year. But, no ETA on completion.

Arrangement of audience and performers into separate regions is an option.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2102 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.