Possibly Ridiculous Project for Stimulating LSL Research

PheebyKatz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2128 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been thinking of ways to discover what the real limits of LSL are, and have been tossing around many ideas in my mind which may or may not really be practical, or practicable to bother trying to implement. I have settled on one idea, and have not had the best success in independent research for it. I would be interested in seeing what ideas or lack thereof might be forthcoming by asking a question or two about this idea here, on the scripting forum.

First off, I have no idea if this is even really possible with LSL, or with anything, really. But it's an idea, and hopefully any answers by the persons who attend this forum may potentially guide me in my learning.

Anyway, does anyone think it's possible, and how would one go about it, to determine if a person situated at, say, a distance far enough away to require camming in on you is doing so, and would it be possible to automatically block them from sending you an IM for the duration of the time they are camming on you from said distance away?

I have no particular desire to avoid speaking to friends on sims who are engaged in things and cam on me and send an IM; rather, the idea with this is that it could potentially make a person feel just a little more comfortable in places where they might be exploring and someone they can't see is trying to send potentially annoying IMs while "ogling" them.

So, is any of this sort of interactivity possible without in some way violating anything? I would be interested to see any honest try at answering any part of it, because even if it might seem stupid, or an impractical idea, or unnecessary, or impossible, someone somewhere might someday think it was a nifty idea, and any project requiring real research, and possibly even real thinking, is more than welcome to me right now.

I would totally like your post with the like button, but I hate that thing, lol.

Yes, people do seem to really hate being looked at, that's why I thought it would be such a stimulating idea to get other people's ideas on. Drama aside, I'm really just trying to learn if this is possible, and how it would work.

And no worries, I have no intention of ever trying to make it fire bullets at people for looking at me. xD

Maybe learn something about how things outside my realm of scripting experience work, that would be my ideal result of pursuing this admittedly possibly ridiculous project idea.

I suppose it could toggle a person's Away or Busy status, or maybe just send an Away message response some other way. Ideally, they wouldn't get something like "User has blocked/muted/derendered you for lookin' at 'em", because that would just make people angry, or could get people thrown out of a sim for blocking admins or such.

Just an away message response or something if a person is a distance away and camming on you to send IMs would be the ideal result as far as I can visualize. And only for as long as they're on the same sim as you and camming on you; leaving the sim could reset it, making it only temporary while on the sim it's activated on.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Haha 2

As a humorous and on-topic aside, I actually got an IM the other day from someone who cammed on me and saw I was facing the direction they were standing in. The IM said, "I see you looking at me", and proceeded from there, as if I was interested in them already.

Finally the messages stopped, and only then did I come back to my keyboard to find someone had shown up while I was afk and had tried making passes at me, thinking I was looking at him the whole time.

Edited by PheebyKatz

1 hour ago, PheebyKatz said:

I've been thinking of ways to discover what the real limits of LSL are, and have been tossing around many ideas in my mind which may or may not really be practical, or practicable to bother trying to implement. I have settled on one idea, and have not had the best success in independent research for it. I would be interested in seeing what ideas or lack thereof might be forthcoming by asking a question or two about this idea here, on the scripting forum.

First off, I have no idea if this is even really possible with LSL, or with anything, really. But it's an idea, and hopefully any answers by the persons who attend this forum may potentially guide me in my learning.

Anyway, does anyone think it's possible, and how would one go about it, to determine if a person situated at, say, a distance far enough away to require camming in on you is doing so, and would it be possible to automatically block them from sending you an IM for the duration of the time they are camming on you from said distance away?

I have no particular desire to avoid speaking to friends on sims who are engaged in things and cam on me and send an IM; rather, the idea with this is that it could potentially make a person feel just a little more comfortable in places where they might be exploring and someone they can't see is trying to send potentially annoying IMs while "ogling" them.

So, is any of this sort of interactivity possible without in some way violating anything? I would be interested to see any honest try at answering any part of it, because even if it might seem stupid, or an impractical idea, or unnecessary, or impossible, someone somewhere might someday think it was a nifty idea, and any project requiring real research, and possibly even real thinking, is more than welcome to me right now.

There is a way .... but the method is restricted to the high priests of the LSL Scripters Guild. I'm sorry.

• Sad 1

I'm fairly sure there is no way to do this with LSL, for a couple reasons.

• LSL has two relevant functions: llGetCameraPos and llGetCameraRot
    • But these functions only work for the avatar that has granted PERMISSION_TRACK_CAMERA
  • Viewers voluntarily broadcast their look-at target
    • But this feature can be disabled, and LSL has no way to get that information.
Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

I'm fairly sure there is no way to do this with LSL, for a couple reasons.

• LSL has two relevant functions: llGetCameraPos and llGetCameraRot
    • But these functions only work for the avatar that has granted PERMISSION_TRACK_CAMERA
  • Viewers voluntarily broadcast their look-at target
    • But this feature can be disabled, and LSL has no way to get that information.

Shhh ... I know there's not a way. But there's a live one possibly taking the bait. ;)

• Haha 2

On 6/25/2018 at 8:19 AM, PheebyKatz said:

Its possible to implement. However it would at least require new functions llAddToBlockList and llRemoveFromBlockList

to get you started on this path, file a New Feature request for these functions on the JIRA here: https://jira.secondlife.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2128 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.