Group Membership: Are they or aren't they in?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2130 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I have a friend who on her profile is in my group.  However, when I look at a group membership, she is not in the group membership, but it's listed on her profile.

I checked another group she is in through a mutual friend, and her profile lists the group, but she is not in the actual member list.

Can someone explain why this is?

Thank you,

Kerri

3 minutes ago, Kerrianne Wheatcliffe said:

trying not to assume the worst.

leaving sl doesn't mean she died... thats what your line is used for mostly...kinda dramatic.
Every day/week/month, thousends leave SL for various reasons.... just a few because of a ending life.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

leaving sl doesn't mean she died... thats what your line is used for mostly...kinda dramatic.
Every day/week/month, thousends leave SL for various reasons.... just a few because of a ending life.

I'm quite aware RL doesn't end at leaving SL.  I am asking for a friend who was partnered to her for over 4 years.  Losing any kind of close friendship in that context does hurt.

Although I appreciate your willingness to provide an off-topic answer to the question to add to your post numbers, I would prefer to keep this question on topic.  Does anyone know why this may be?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kerrianne Wheatcliffe said:

Although I appreciate your willingness to provide an off-topic answer to the question to add to your post numbers, I would prefer to keep this question on topic.  Does anyone know why this may be?

Ummm... You want to keep it on topic to try and get some useful answers and information?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Kerrianne Wheatcliffe said:

Unfortunately, I can see this conversation spinning off topic and your answer really lacks any relevance or value to the original question.

The more you insist the thread stay on topic, the more it will deviate from it. However you encouraged it with your snippy reply to Alwin.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

As far as i'm aware once a group gets more than a certain number of members the group list doesn't show up members or it may only show a certain number and there will be many hundreds or thousands that don't show 

Thank you Claireschen, there are just over 100 members.  Would it apply in this case?

Edited by Kerrianne Wheatcliffe

5 minutes ago, Kerrianne Wheatcliffe said:

Thank you Claireschen, there are just over 100 members.  Would it apply in this case?

I remember seeing somewhere, though I cannot say for certain, that it can happen with over 500 members.  I am sure someone else will confirm that

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

As far as i'm aware once a group gets more than a certain number of members the group list doesn't show up members or it may only show a certain number and there will be many hundreds or thousands that don't show 

no thats only above several thousends

https://www.firestormviewer.org/ll-changes-to-group-member-lists/

a bit surprised myself... thought it was 3500

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Thanks 3

The only time that I've seen this is with an old friend that couldn't get into SL for a long time, ended up having her credit card expire, thus couldn't pay her Premium membership and LL took her account.  She is in a social group that I'm also a part of.  Her profile (which I can only get to anymore via the calling card) still shows that group, but the group does not show her.   I don't remember how many months after LL took her account that she disappeared from the group list.  I think that was also roughly when her profile no longer showed up in search.

If she actually requests her account to be deleted, I do not know how the profile looks compared to the group list - though I think the profile becomes unsearchable much faster, within weeks maybe, a month at most.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The only time that I've seen this is with an old friend that couldn't get into SL for a long time, ended up having her credit card expire, thus couldn't pay her Premium membership and LL took her account.  She is in a social group that I'm also a part of.  Her profile (which I can only get to anymore via the calling card) still shows that group, but the group does not show her.   I don't remember how many months after LL took her account that she disappeared from the group list.  I think that was also roughly when her profile no longer showed up in search.

Similar situation here with one of my earliest friends in SL :( so I guess you are right.

• Like 1

I had a friend that disappeared from second life. He didn't even show up in the groups he owned after he disappeared, and yet his groups still showed up in his profile. 

His widow was so upset, she ended up becoming a nun.

His profile said he was an alt that was starting over, so everyone assumed he did it again, and is playing another incarnation.

As others have said, people quit second life all the time. Without rl contact info to find out, you never have any way of knowing what happened to them. Like as not, they are playing on another account right now.

So congratulations, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your group.

4 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

His profile said he was an alt that was starting over, so everyone assumed he did it again, and is playing another incarnation.

Yep, unfortunately this is pretty typical SL behavior for many.   

The only reason I know this wasn't the behavior of my friend was that I actually know her in RL.  A couple of years after all of that happened, when she wasn't so sick, rather than trying to get her old account back, she simply created a new one.  She only lasted in SL another year before her health just got too bad.

36 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yep, unfortunately this is pretty typical SL behavior for many.   

The only reason I know this wasn't the behavior of my friend was that I actually know her in RL.  A couple of years after all of that happened, when she wasn't so sick, rather than trying to get her old account back, she simply created a new one.  She only lasted in SL another year before her health just got too bad.

I had a friend that was well liked by her many friends. She never hid the fact that she was sick in rl and would only get sicker. Eventually, she stopped logging in. After a year or so we decided the worst had happened, accepted it and moved on. No one doubted her sincerity, we all believe she really did die. After 3 years she's till dead.

In another group I was in, the group owner was a total drama queen, threatening at least once a month that she was gonna quit the group. One day she logged in, claimed to be a close friend of the account owner and said that the account owner had died. Everyone in the group was devastated. They had memorials, built a statue, and tried to go on without her. Well, one day after a year she shows up again and says, oh I didn't die after all.

People were shocked, but they actually welcomed her back into the group, to continue her role as drama queen.

All I could say was "seriously?".

1 hour ago, Phorumities said:

This seems to happen way too often, sadly.  But, in this case, she has only been gone barely a month but is a SL premium member.  So, maybe the account is delinquent and never downgraded to basic?  I'm not sure if that is an automatic transaction.  I just have mine renew every year.

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

If she actually requests her account to be deleted, I do not know how the profile looks compared to the group list - though I think the profile becomes unsearchable much faster, within weeks maybe, a month at most.

I would think that once an account is requested to be deleted, that everything would stop showing in search relatively quickly.  For example, I rarely, if ever, search for a location in SL that gives me a bad landmark.  Usually everything there seems updated quickly.  Maybe location and people search works differently.

1 hour ago, Phorumities said:

I had a friend that was well liked by her many friends. She never hid the fact that she was sick in rl and would only get sicker. Eventually, she stopped logging in. After a year or so we decided the worst had happened, accepted it and moved on. No one doubted her sincerity, we all believe she really did die. After 3 years she's till dead.

In another group I was in, the group owner was a total drama queen, threatening at least once a month that she was gonna quit the group. One day she logged in, claimed to be a close friend of the account owner and said that the account owner had died. Everyone in the group was devastated. They had memorials, built a statue, and tried to go on without her. Well, one day after a year she shows up again and says, oh I didn't die after all.

People were shocked, but they actually welcomed her back into the group, to continue her role as drama queen.

All I could say was "seriously?".

Some things should be considered sacred and not to be joked about.  I knew someone that faked their own death here and when she came back, might as well have died in SL.  Everyone turned their backs on her for doing it.  You can't change a deceased condition. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2130 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.