Day Cycle Editor Broken in 2.6.3 (227447) Release

Penny Patton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4744 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The first thing I do with any new viewer install is change the windlight settings in the day cycle so SL looks tonnes better.

The difference good windlight settings make is astounding, so I noticed right away the next time I started up 2.6.3 and I was back to the Linden defaults. I changed them again but the next time I restarted SL I was back again to the defaults. Each time I restarted, once again I was back to the defaults.

I've since reverted to 2.6.2 as changing a whole day cycle is tedious if you have to do it over and over and over again with every log in.

I've created a Jira for the issue here:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/STORM-1193

you may be able to lock the settings in if you set the per_account_settings.xml file in your your SL username directoy to read only AFTER you set it and log off.... if that doesn't work then the settings are probably not being written or read properly. it's not an ideal solution (floaters will be locked to the last setting saved for them, and other settings will be locked in)... but if you have a desire to use 2.6.3 then it might help

Hi, I see what the trouble is, and it appears to be a side effect of tighter security.

The "save test day" feature saves the new copy of Default.xml back into the application folder (for example C:\Program Files (x86)\SecondLifeViewer2\app_settings\windlight\days) and the folder permissions do not allow writing to the application folder. If I use "run as administrator" on Second Life, I can save successfully.

Void Singer wrote:

oof, that' not good... those should be saved to user settings anyways... and run as admin might be a workaround, but it's probably more of a security hole than the original problem =(

Yes, that is how I commented on the JIRA. I expect that Appearance To XML will have the same trouble, but that is less important because the importer is gone.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4744 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.