need some help starting up

PrDrMrman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4719 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I joined second life with the hopes of starting a guitar shop.I found a nice shop i was looking to rent. I want to know, how does it work as far as selling things other people made(copies) i cant make guitars myself. is it Buying in bulk and reselling, or will i have to buy 100 guitars at 500-1000 each

Normally the things you sell are the things you make. If you cannot make stuff maybe you can buy full perm guitar sculpties and make your own guitars, then selling them will be no problem.

Note that although you can technically sell transfer items you buy, it is not a great idea to do so because it will only take time before somebody accuses you of copybotting.

SL is not like RL where you can buy things wholesale and resell them retail, you have to make your own things. Don't rent a shop untill you have gotten good at building and have a few items to sell.

That really depends on the product and on the resale agreement that you have with the creator. In SL, we don't have warehousing issues, so you don't stock 100 copies of the same item, wating for a sale.  You usually buy one item with copy/transfer permission and you sell it over and over again.  The creator may expect a flat payment for the right to resell those copies, or may only let you sell them through a split-payment vendor that divides the proceeds from a sale between you.  The only way to find out is to talk with creators whose work you would like to carry, and work out an agreement.  You will discover, of course, that many (most?) creators would rather sell their own work and keep 100% of the profit, but it never hurts to ask.

Before you invest in owning or renting shop space, you might want to ask other merchants how their sales have been lately. I don't think there's much demand for guitars in SL, but maybe if you have a good location & marketing plan, you can do ok.  Maybe you can have vendors for other creators guitars & get a percentage of the sales? Reselling other people's stuff is a tricky business in SL since many people think you should only sell items you make yourself.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4719 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.