Forums - Backspace Issue

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2131 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is only happening in these Forums, not on any other webpage or anywhere else on my comptuer, and only in my Firefox browser, not in Chrome - and it just started today.  My backspace key is not deleting text.  If I'm in a 'reply' box, pressing backspace does nothing.  If I'm in the typing box on a new forum post (i.e. just like this question post), hitting backspace goes back a page.  I also noticed that the 'go back a page' behavior also happens if I hit backspace in the Title type area - at least until I figured out how to disable that behavior in the about:config settings, though that still doesn't make the backspace key actually back up and delete text here in the forums.

Question - Is anyone else running into this problem?  Does anyone have a clue how to fix it?  

Yeah, this maybe belonged in one of the Answers categories, but it seems like the various People sub-forums get more focus on the weekends.

10 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This is only happening in these Forums, not on any other webpage or anywhere else on my comptuer, and only in my Firefox browser, not in Chrome - and it just started today.  My backspace key is not deleting text.  If I'm in a 'reply' box, pressing backspace does nothing.  If I'm in the typing box on a new forum post (i.e. just like this question post), hitting backspace goes back a page.  I also noticed that the 'go back a page' behavior also happens if I hit backspace in the Title type area - at least until I figured out how to disable that behavior in the about:config settings, though that still doesn't make the backspace key actually back up and delete text here in the forums.

Question - Is anyone else running into this problem?  Does anyone have a clue how to fix it?  

Yeah, this maybe belonged in one of the Answers categories, but it seems like the various People sub-forums get more focus on the weekends.

Testing this out...I was able to backspace the text in my reply back to you. Hope it gets solved for you!

9 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

From what I've read I'm assuming you've already changed the about:config browser.backspace_action to 2, Yet you're still unable to backspace in the secondlife forums?
Are you on the most recent version of firefox?

6 hours ago, MIstahMoose said:

From what I've read I'm assuming you've already changed the about:config browser.backspace_action to 2, Yet you're still unable to backspace in the secondlife forums?
Are you on the most recent version of firefox?

I changed the about:config browser.backspace_action to 2 when it actually backed up a web page while I was typing the title of this thread and hit the backspace key.  

I've since updated Firefox to the most recent version, cleared all browser cache/cookies/etc.., restarted the browser with add-ons disabled, rebooted the PC, unplugged the keyboard & re-plugged it in, removed the backspace key & put in back on, and even logged into the forums with another account (just in case for some odd reason the stupid-makes-no-sense-issue was being login specific -- but it wasn't).  

I also discovered that the delete key only works if I highlight text and hit delete.  If I simply position the cursor in the middle of a word and hit the delete key nothing happens.  Similarly, hitting the insert key does not change it to/from insert vs over-type mode.  And all of this odd key behavior only happens within this forum and only in Firefox.

I actually have now switched to Chrome for forum usage (not totally bad as I use Chrome for the forums at work).  I usually type faster than my mind can order my thoughts and thus have lots of typing mistakes or just need to re-word / re-order things.  That results in lots of backspace key usage when I'm typing.  

1 hour ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

I can't reproduce the problem on Firefox 60.0.2 (64-bit) running on Windows 7.

I'm at 60.0.2, 64-bit, but on Windows 10. 

2 hours ago, norajulian said:

I had this issue, but it was a browser error of some sort - I swapped browsers and haven't had the issue since. I don't recall which browser it was, though, so that's no help. 

I've had not issues in Chrome, though the odd part that irritates me is the backspace issue is not an issue on any other web page in Firefox.  

I don't think any computer issue has ever befuddled me as much.

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I've had not issues in Chrome, though the odd part that irritates me is the backspace issue is not an issue on any other web page in Firefox.  

I don't think any computer issue has ever befuddled me as much.

This is one of those so specific and odd things that if I was at work I'd just tell you to back everything up and reformat if you wanted firefox bad enough xD

Maybe the forums backend got updated and has a compatibility issue with firefox.. There could be a million thing espc if its just website specific.. 

I am a huge fan of firefox, even though I only use it to watch movies and chrome for everything else. (That 99999 media cache and buffer just toooo yummy)

35 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'm on Firefox 60.0.2 (64-bit) AND on Windows 10, and I'm not having that problem, or any similar problem. And I keep Windows up to date automatically.

Edited by Phil Deakins

47 minutes ago, MIstahMoose said:

This is one of those so specific and odd things that if I was at work I'd just tell you to back everything up and reformat if you wanted firefox bad enough

Yeah, I'm not enough of a Firefox die-hard for that.  I don't hate Chrome, I've just never gotten around to porting all of my bookmarks over to it and putting in similar add-ons.  

I'll manage with the forums on Chrome - I already use Chrome for a variety of things at home.  Mostly, I just don't like problems that make no sense and that I can't solve. 

Thank you Whirly for reference. This must be one of the most stupid "improvements", breaking UI default behavior. Many years ago IBM. Microsoft and Apple agreed on default behavior, it would a disaster, if young new programmers try to reinvent the wheel again!

Edited by Rachel1206

16 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Not for my primary issue.  For the normal 'reply' box, the backspace key just flat does nothing. 

However, when I first started this topic, in the Title typing space, I hit the backspace by habit to correct a typo and in that case it did back me up a web page.  I then found those mentioned articles and promptly set the about:config 'browser.backspace_action' to a 2, which did at least keep it from popping back a web page.  It did nothing for the key not working at all in these reply boxes though.  O.o :S :(

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Does it repro if you run Firefox in safe mode?

Yep - about the only thing I haven't tried is when I do that restart, there is an option for 'resetting Firefox'.  I'm avoiding that route for now since that means I'll likely have to re-add all the add-ons and put my profile back in for bookmarks and such.

8 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

You could always create a new windows account & install Firefox there to test it.
I'm fairly sure that will be as good as a fresh out of the box install.

Oh, I hadn't thought of that.  Good idea.  I'll give that a try this evening.

Well, the fresh install under the new windows account works, so I guess now I'll save off my Firefox profile on my main windows account and do a fresh install there to see if that works.

Though in looking at the shortcut, it didn't really install a fresh copy, it simply touched a few folders in the install on C that was already there.  But this windows account would be a new Firefox profile.  So it might be some sort of corruption in my Firefox profile.  I'll poke around in that direction a bit.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2131 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.