Smooth Animation Transitions to First Frame

agentronin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2106 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Do not animate (change pose) of frame1 - start with frame 2. This way the avatar does not "pop" into the pose (which it will if you change frame 1) - rather it will smoothly "slide into" your animation if you begin with frame 2. If you want to loop - then set the repeat to jump to frame 2. This also will allow the animation to "slip smoothly out" when the animation is stopped.

ALSO NOTE: Only those bones where you change position/rotation will be recorded. The rest will not be animated. So, for example, if you want to make a drinking animation: animate only the arm and hand that will do the drinking (perhaps head and neck also) - that way the avatar AO will continue to work except for those parts you've animated on their own.

Can the amount of time the avatar takes to get to frame 2 from animation start up be controlled? Since there is one frame interval between frame 1 and frame would this be the number one divided by the FPS? Can it be made longer by starting at frame number 3 or higher? 

FPS should be 24 or 30. So when you say "animation startup" I'm not sure what you are referring to. As soon as you play the animation it is started up. If you want to wave a hand then decide how long you want it to take to raise the arm. if you want one second then the arm is raised by frame 30. If you want two seconds, then it is raised by frame 60 and so on. 

You set your timing by the number of frames it takes to complete the motion.

I recommend spending some time at YouTube or Vimeo and watching as many videos about how to create animation as (like cartoons, etc) as you can because the process is identical for 2D or 3D.

Edited by Alyona Su

There are 2 values, called ease in and ease out, that define how much time in seconds the animation takes to gain full control over the involved joint(s). Even a pose made of 2 frames in total obey these settings. Depending on what type of animation format you're using (BVH or .anim), these settings are available in different places. Assuming you're using the BVH format, you can find them in the uploading window

4 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

FPS should be 24 or 30. So when you say "animation startup" I'm not sure what you are referring to.

What I was referring to is the amount of time it takes for the animation to transition from whatever posture the avatar was in when the animation was started, to the first frame of the animation, which is at frame number 2 in this case to make the transition smooth. I will attempt to set this using the ease in value in the BVH upload window once the BVH file is created as OptimoMaximo recommends.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2106 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.