Do you think people will continue buying Lindens with price change?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2125 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Phil Deakins said:

It's why I told Theresa that "I see what you mean".

Ah! I see. Sorry, I am burnt out from a difficult real life work week :)

Moving a business in RL is much harder then in SL where you just have to conglomerate your items and change your MP/picks location!

Returning to my pining for the OpenSpace fjords:

What could be the best possible next development here? Assuming that OpenSpaces fulfilled a purpose, and might even be very popular in the new pricing context, and in light of the recurring hints that the Lab is considering new Land product offerings... what could they offer as an OpenSpace replacement?

• Every subscriber of a certain Premium level and above gets one free MinimalRegion™ to plunk down somewhere on the grid. (Basically a gateway drug for luring Mainlanders to full-fledged Estate owners, without threatening existing Estate owners by offering precious Homesteads* directly to the unwashed masses.)
  • For every four full-primmed regions the Estate owner gets one free satellite MinimalRegion™, but located at Linden Labs' discretion (probably on the path between continents or otherwise filling-out the navigational map).
  • Existing OpenSpaces are eligible for free conversion to Homesteads. (This one seems pretty likely, IMHO, but does nothing to expand the Land product line.)
  • ... or ???

* A bit tongue-in-cheek here. If you want to rile up Estate owners, just suggest that Homesteads be available without full-primmed sim ownership. At the same time, though, see how they react if you suggest there's any margin in renting out Homesteads. It's amazing how fiercely they'll defend their rights to be so philanthropic.

3 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Every subscriber of a certain Premium level and above gets one free MinimalRegion™ to plunk down somewhere on the grid.

It would clobber mainland, but sounds like a fun idea.  How many prims? Likely can't be more then one would get with a 1024.

And it might need to wait until cloud so it can be a "partially online" situation.

Might be good for making channels if a minimal region must be joined to other people's - no standalone and they had an enforced right of way channel for vehicles down one side.

• Like 1

@Qie Niangao

You've got me thinking - not very productively, but thinking nonetheless.

LL wouldn't want to offer the option to buy a private, low-prim, sim to all Premium accounts, without the need to own a full private sim, because it would most likely cause the gains they've recently made in mainland ownership to deteriorate to some extent, but they could offer such an option to the highest of the upcoming Premium levels, so that the user would need to pay for the highest Premium level in order to qualify for one.

Like I said, my thinking isn't very productive, but I enjoyed it :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AmandaKeen said:

Maybe its “CHiPs” plural.........

If it were chips (plural), I'd want a battered fish with them - not a motorbyke :D  And they wouldn't stay on my shoulder for long. They'd be eaten in  minutes :)

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

This is off-topic, but may not warrant a separate thread: How do folks feel about openSpace regions getting discontinued?

They must have been wildly unpopular, I guess, but I thought they were a cool idea.

I was just recently looking to rent an OpenSpace region however couldn't find anyone offering them. I managed to find someone looking to sell some but no one rents them out it seems. I need a large land area but few prism for a project I am working on (I don't have the number on me but I believe it's ~750LI) and the lower script performance was a non-issue to me.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, clivesteel said:

LL should FORCE greedy landowners to reduce rent! It's the only way to ensure SL's survival.

Imagine how glorious it would be if all SL renters hit refund and then refused to pay...they could put these wannabe Trumps out of business in hours...how satisfying it would be to see the landowners come crawling back with timid apologies and reducing their fees...why not make it happen, today?

How do you propose LL forces landowners to reduce their rent? At the end of the day it's the landowner that is taking the risk paying the high upfront fees in the hopes that someone rents the land. Whenever the land isn't rented they take a loss, so why should they reduce their rates? If you don't like their rates you can find someone else to rent from.

I've been renting out land for many years now, I have always priced my rentals fairly low and just barely make money from them. I have a number of rentals which I have actually priced below cost. If you think LL should force landowners to lower prices, then I think you should be forced to pay for any of my rentals that are vacant or overdue. I haven't even made back my initial investment yet many years later due to how I have priced my rentals and I know I'm not the only one in this position.

• Like 3

maybe clivesteel would be happy if LL made it illegal to charge more on rent than what the landowners pay in tier. then he'd have the lowest rent possible.

any thoughs on what would happen if LL did that clivesteel?

all these evil capitalist swine should be taught a lesson right?

In Ayn Rands most excellent book Atlas Shrugged, a business man when informed at what price he could sell his product for protested that at that price he would't make any profit. He was told never you mind, we'll tell you if you can make any profit.

Edited by Phorumities
changed a couple of words

4 hours ago, Phorumities said:

And then of course, rental land would be scarce, and the remaining land owners could raise their rents to meet the increased demand for rental land.

Yes but remember that a private rental estate can't afford to keep partly filled sims up and running. A three quarter full sim is a dead loss for an estate owner competing on price and they can't afford to keep them for very long. So they really have no choice but to evict the rest of the renters and close the sim.

The evicted tenants are not likely to rent anywhere else. Most of them are "Rip van Winkles", people who still rent a piece of land in SL for old times' sake but never - or hardly ever - use it. Once their homes are gone, they are gone from SL for good. So are many of the evictees who are still active. People who have spent a lot of time and effort creating their dream homes in SL - it's not very likely they'll start over again somewhere else when they loose it.

So when a private rental sim clsoes down, the majority of the former tenants will not move somewhere else, they will vanish from SL and the SL economy.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

maybe clivesteel would be happy if LL made it illegal to charge more on rent than what the landowners pay in tier. then he'd have the lowest rent possible.

any thoughs on what would happen if LL did that clivesteel?

all these evil capitalist swine should be taught a lesson right?

In Ayn Rands most excellent book Atlas Shrugged, a business man when informed at what price he could sell his product for protested that at that price he would't make any profit. He was told never you mind, we'll tell you if you can make any profit.

For someone running an account strictly to post on the forums, you seem to have a hard time recognizing when you're being trolled.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i was just told by a friend that Azure Estates has apparently lowered their rent. He said he got an email from them congratulating him with 15th SL birthday and informing him that his rent has gone down. That's how you do business! I can only hope my landlord will follow... i would really hate having to move my store yet again...

1 hour ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

For someone running an account strictly to post on the forums, you seem to have a hard time recognizing when you're being trolled.

Well then thats my problem then isn't it?

Thank you for your concern

On 21/06/2018 at 4:04 PM, clivesteel said:

LL should FORCE greedy landowners to reduce rent! It's the only way to ensure SL's survival.

Imagine how glorious it would be if all SL renters hit refund and then refused to pay...they could put these wannabe Trumps out of business in hours...how satisfying it would be to see the landowners come crawling back with timid apologies and reducing their fees...why not make it happen, today?

Your either high or stupid. Its definitely one of the two. Firstly LL won't force the land owners to do anything. Do you have ANY idea how much of LLs income comes from the land barons / renters. Do you have ANY idea just how many sims anshe Chung alone owns and even taking them all being grandfathered into consideration just how much her company pays linden labs each month for all of them?. Thats not including others such as WRE, Fantasyland and all the other various renters, buyers and land barons. If LL tried to force them to do ANYTHING like what you are suggesting or if all residents went on a strike and refused to pay...it could cause a huge loss of earnings for those companies and individuals who would more than likely say f**k you and just shut up shop. There by taking away a huge chunk of linden labs earnings. Less earnings = less money available to pay for the needs of linden labs = no more second life which sort of nulls your "It's the only way to ensure SL's survival" comment. You call them wannabe trumps but realistically I look at the current prices of land rentals and they are WAY lower than when I first started in 2007. I remember renting a 1/4 sim at 8000 lindens a week and now WRE has them on a summer sale for like 3.5k a week or something. I know of another company (the name escapes me) but you can rent a full 20k prim sim from them for 14k lindens a week.....thats like.....8k on average cheaper than other land agents. Let alone the fact that LL have just not only dropped the monthly cost of regions but ALSO dropped the setup costs to entice you to want to purchase your own region. Which Is what we have been asking for for YEARS. There are alot of land agents that are barely making all that much profit on the regions they do have as they are trying to keep up with the competition surrounding them. The only places I know that are on average higher than usual are either smaller individual sellers who maybe have a few sims or the Chungs. But even with the Chungs, I consider an extra k or so a week worth it for the fact you get 24/7 in world and website support. Seriously dude, know your facts before you spout nonsense

29 minutes ago, Elvina Ewing said:

i was just told by a friend that Azure Estates has apparently lowered their rent. He said he got an email from them congratulating him with 15th SL birthday and informing him that his rent has gone down. That's how you do business! I can only hope my landlord will follow... i would really hate having to move my store yet again...

maybe they heard about clivesteels planned rent strike and are hopeing to appease their renters

*rolls eyes*

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Neither - clivesteel is a known forum troll.

Forum trolls and hard core communists sound a lot alike.

"Workers of SL unite, you have nothing to lose but your pixel chains."

KarlMarx Resident

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, TatianaNikolay said:

Now I feel bad for the OP for this way off topic thread. 

Regular threads usually get answered for a day or two, then die out. It's the derailed threads that end up going hot. Then a mod checks it out, reminds people to play nice, and the thread continues to grow. After another day or so, the mod locks the thread as being hopelessly off topic, and peace and calm reign in the forums again... until another thread gets derailed.

• Haha 1

Just now, Phorumities said:

Regular threads usually get answered for a day or two, then die out. It's the derailed threads that end up going hot. Then a mod checks it out, reminds people to play nice, and the thread continues to grow. After another day or so, the mod locks the thread as being hopelessly off topic, and peace and calm reign in the forums again... until another thread gets derailed.

I'm not new here and I didn't need a need an explanation, thanks. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2125 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.