the huds are all broken !!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2123 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

ok so i was wandering around sl when i was  tped by a security orb who also kicked me offline and broke all my huds after gettin back on all the huds are dead  removing an puttin back on dont work any more now i know where  it happend i plan to sue the idiot thta broke my huds n get sum revenge but first how do i go about fixing the huds ??

This is actually pretty common.

Unpack a new one from the box. If you don't have the original box (PRO TIP: always save those) - then try to get a redelivery of a new one. Good luck with that.

PRO TIP: Whenever you buy anything that comes with a HUD: Always keep the original box - I put mine into a folder I call Backup Boxes. THEN, I create a folder inside that product folder and call it "Backup" and move *everything* that came with that product into that backup folder. Then open the backup folder and COPY the HUD (and any other needed parts) - and then PASTE it into the main product folder.

This way when the HUD goes dead (not a question of if, folks, but WHEN) - I can just grab another copy from that backup folder.

Some may laugh at my "glitch-paranoia", but after 12 years in SL - I'm the one laughing when I pull that backup out and the other person is crying because their HUD is broke-sh*t... oh, sorry, OP - I don't mean to rub salt into your wound.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

Some may laugh at my "glitch-paranoia", but after 12 years in SL - I'm the one laughing when I pull that backup out and the other person is crying because their HUD is broke-sh*t... oh, sorry, OP - I don't mean to rub salt into your wound.

Na it's wise, it saves you from a lot of anger after your scripted gacha toys got broken and no one fixes them ...

Edited by Fionalein

I learned this the hard way a few years ago. It often comes with going over old landmarks to see what's still around, an old place is now somebody else's and they have a kicker security orb. I take these warnings seriously now and click asap to get out of there, rather than ignoring them as I did before, where I thought I knew better.

I don't backup all HUDs, just the ones I'm likely to be wearing all the time or as part of an outfit, such as AOs,  knicker-droppers and dribbles xD

It's happened to me twice in the past and the first time I could get most re-delivered, but one I had to dig deep for to find the purchase information for when contacting the seller to request they resend me.

When using clothing coloring or styling HUDs I'm commonly doing that in a safe place anyway, but even sandboxes can have an idiot present who launches you away and that has deadened a HUD or two in the past too.

It can be a real pain if you've spent hours modifying an AO. That's why I always keep backup folders of anim sets and notecard copies, just in case.

Until it happens to you, you tend to think these things don't matter. Don't rely on others for everything, being self-sufficient is a nice way to be.

Edited by Candice LittleBoots
fluffed

Does not work on all scripts, some get broken forever with resets, worse yet some bugs set scripts to "not running" so no chance of making them run again if they are "no edit"

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 2

This is another good reason to wear only as few HUDs as necessary. (This from somebody who's been busy for months scripting a new HUD. B|)

Try to avoid no-mod attachments because it's the object's modifiability that determines whether scripts inside can be reset and/or set running. (The scripts' permissions don't matter.)

One thing I've found very useful for minimizing the HUDs I'm usually wearing is the "Quick Folder" Quick Preference in the Catznip viewer, coming soon to Firestorm. It makes it handy to add / detach items that don't need to be worn all the time.

• Like 2

On the plus side, the popular mesh bodies and heads are pretty good about offering redelivery, although unless one's HUD settings are backed up it can be some effort to recover. Avoiding all that hassle is a good reason to detach those HUDs -- which is more practical with that "Quick Folder" trick. Unfortunately, some Bento heads animate using their master HUD and detaching that has a big downside.

I'm also given to understand that the texture on every surface of every attached HUD must be kept resident in one's own viewer all the time, whether that part of the HUD is in view or not, so that's another incentive for wearing them as little as possible.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Unfortunately, some Bento heads animate using their master HUD and detaching that has a big downside.

Did you think all the way through that? So the head internal animations scripts break down upon crashing instead of the HUD's scripts... how is the end result (a now static mesh head) any different from a irrecoverable HUD crash? Unless there is some statiscal evidence that HUDs break more often on crashes than other items the risk stays the same.

Edited by Fionalein

4 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Did you think all the way through that? So the head internal animations scripts break down upon crashing instead of the HUD's scripts... how is the end result (a now static mesh head) any different from a irrecoverable HUD crash? Unless there is some statiscal evidence that HUDs break more often on crashes than other items the risk stays the same.

Catwa heads do not require any of the animation HUDs to remain attached - once set the head will continue all your selected animations.

As for what @Fionalein ays: Is it usually HUDs that get borked in these situations. In my 13 years (Woohoo recent rez day) I have never seen a body attachment (worn from inventory) get borked in these scenarios as the OP describes.  It has always been HUDs (or any scripted object worn as a HUD) - though that's just my experience.

As for Modify perms - I have almost never, ever seen a no-modify HUD, other than those barely worth having to begin with, and the extremely rare ones that are worth keeping.

Edited by Alyona Su

5 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

As for what @Fionalein ays: Is it usually HUDs that get borked in these situations. In my 13 years (Woohoo recent rez day) I have never seen a body attachment (worn from inventory) get borked in these scenarios as the OP describes.  It has always been HUDs (or any scripted object worn as a HUD) - though that's just my experience.

Lucky you - I could reproducably kill my mesh head's scripts by logging off (no, not crashing, just logging off) in the 2017 fairlands junction.

5 hours ago, Fionalein said:

I was actually referring to Catwa's separate animation and settings HUDs, in contrast to LeLutka's unified HUD. If I can detach the settings part, I think it's easier to recover if just the animation part gets wedged, compared to losing both that and the settings.

Not that I've actually experienced either of these, knock on wood.

That said, I vastly prefer the LeLutka UI design; functionally, though, it keeps a lot of texture real estate loaded offscreen.

2 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

As for Modify perms - I have almost never, ever seen a no-modify HUD, other than those barely worth having to begin with, and the extremely rare ones that are worth keeping.

I take it you've never seen a Maitreya, Slink or Tonic mesh body then - their HUD's are all no modify.

I have Maitreya and Tonic - I keep going back to Belleza, myself (it's the same) - though I figured these would fall under the "extremely rare ones that are worth keeping" part of my statement. :) 

Edited by Alyona Su

2 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Lucky you - I could reproducably kill my mesh head's scripts by logging off (no, not crashing, just logging off) in the 2017 fairlands junction.

Oh, I do hope I was clear enough to say *my* experience, I apologize if that wasn't clear. :)

2 hours ago, Quinn Lysette said:

i think the person who sells it  doesnt get on sl anymore 

That could be a problem.

However, if the purchase was possibly via a caspervend vendor system, just go to any store with a caspervend and click the redelivery terminal.  You will get a web link that will actually show all caspervend purchases at all stores and can get a redelivery on any of the items.

6 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

However, if the purchase was possibly via a caspervend vendor system, just go to any store with a caspervend and click the redelivery terminal.  You will get a web link that will actually show all caspervend purchases at all stores and can get a redelivery on any of the items.

Are you sure about that? I had some redelivery problems because no item found. As far as I understand the seller still needs one special prim inworld to deliver the item - if the casper delivery prim that holds the item is gone ... bye bye redelivery option :(

Edited by Fionalein

2 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Are you sure about that? I had some redelivery problems because no item found. As far as I understand the seller still needs one special prim inworld to deliver the item - if the casper delivery prim that holds the item is gone ... bye bye redelivery option :(

Ahh, I forgot that caspervend has to communicate with the inworld box.  So yes,  you are correct - there must still be at least the caspervend redelivery piece inworld even if the creator doesn't really log in anymore.

I was able to get a few redeliveries after someone closed their inworld store (happened to see the item on the caspervend page when I went there for a different redelivery), but that creator was inworld sometimes and must have still had their caspervend box at their house.

One thing I noticed, the broken HUD problem only occurs on newer HUDs, like my VISTA NARA AO, Maitreya Mesh Body HUD, never with for example the basic VISTA one. I had never seen any problems with the older advanced AKEYO AO HUD nor the old ACS Classic DRIVER HUD.

So it makes me wonder, if the fault could be found in a change how the new HUDs are scripted?

Further a better backup procedure is really needed, requesting a redelivery solves the problem with a none-working HUD, but OMG you have set everything up again – and if you use customized skin colors, shapes etc it is not a trivial task to get everything back.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2123 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.