Attaching Furniture to Homes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2105 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for instructions on how to place furniture in skybox for example and permanently attach them? I mean so when you "take" the structure back into your inventory and place it out again the piece of furniture is there in the same place? Is it easy to do? 

While easy to do it is fairly impractical as it joins LINKSETS together and if you should want to undo those (like a plant for example) it would be a huge pain.  If ALL your items are single objects (no multiple pieces of mesh or multi prims) then it should be fine. Be sure and click on your skybox last so it is the root prim.

What is USUALLY done is that the owner "lassos" the complete build, drawing a rectangular area around it on the viewscreen, then takes it up as a coalesced object.  Then to replace they rez a prim to the size of the build and put THAT up in the sky, then rez the coalesced skybox on top of the prim and then delete the prim.

The other caveat is that if any items are NO COPY, you can only TAKE the build --- either way. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

If you know how it's done it is way easier to "lasso" with area search ;)

Only if you don't have a ton of stuff on your building pad I suspect :D

Edit: and I am OLD -- long before area search LOL, but yes, that makes sense.

Edited by Chic Aeon

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

While easy to do it is fairly impractical as it joins LINKSETS together and if you should want to undo those (like a plant for example) it would be a huge pain.  If ALL your items are single objects (no multiple pieces of mesh or multi prims) then it should be fine. Be sure and click on your skybox last so it is the root prim.

What is USUALLY done is that the owner "lassos" the complete build, drawing a rectangular area around it on the viewscreen, then takes it up as a coalesced object.  Then to replace they rez a prim to the size of the build and put THAT up in the sky, then rez the coalesced skybox on top of the prim and then delete the prim.

The other caveat is that if any items are NO COPY, you can only TAKE the build --- either way. 

You mean I have to click on each individual part of the couch and not just the couch?

1 hour ago, Benson Gravois said:

You mean I have to click on each individual part of the couch and not just the couch?

Not to LINK them.

But if you ever want to MOVE that couch (inside your skybox in this scenario)  you would need to use EDIT LINKED in the build menu and do it very carefully. If you are not familiar with how linked prims all link together and then are STUCK together, then I suggest some experiments out on the sandbox with things you don't care about. 

It would be a very bad plan IMHO to link a no copy item that was a linkset into the build. Those that have lots of practice could do it safely if they wanted to, but those new to building would have a good chance of ruining their object. So practice and just be careful.  Skills take time. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always try to link as much of my home as possible. I try to get everything full perm. If you link furniture you should test to make sure it still works correctly. If you take the linked house into your inventory folder be sure it has a very descriptive name.. so you don't accidentally wear it.

Also, change the whole linked set to convex hull if it helps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Not to forget linking two AVsitter scripted furniture items is a really bad idea unless you fluently speak AVsitter ...

I actually tested that before replying and it worked fine so apparently I "do". I HAD very much wondered about that. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I always try to link as much of my home as possible. I try to get everything full perm. If you link furniture you should test to make sure it still works correctly. If you take the linked house into your inventory folder be sure it has a very descriptive name.. so you don't accidentally wear it.

Also, change the whole linked set to convex hull if it helps.

In many cases that would make the skybox unusable to TESTING on a copy is well-advised :D.   

Fionalein alludes to this above, but one problem you can encounter when linking unrelated objects is that their scripts can lose track of the link numbers they use when creating special effects. Lights and lamps are a prime example. Well scripted objects should search out the new link numbers for their relevant components automatically when the link set changes, but not all of them do. Some will do so when the script is reset and some just assume the link numbers won't change from when the creator first created them.

Also, setting the whole link set to convex hull physics type can cause problems if any of the components have been deliberately set to prim or none physics types.

And also be aware that linking some "tortured" prims (prims which have been subjected to radical transformations) to a link set can send the LI through the roof.

Always experiment on copies of your objects first. Preferably in a sandbox rather than your own parcel so that sudden and unexpected LI changes don't destroy your build.

55 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I actually tested that before replying and it worked fine so apparently I "do". I HAD very much wondered about that. 

it gets problematic when you link two multiperson sitters with swap option, single sitters work fine ... 

Edited by Fionalein

20 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

it gets problematic when you link two multiperson sitters with swap option, single sitters work fine ... 

Ahhh. I see. Yes, mine tested were single sits. I pretty much figured there would be an issue so glad to know what issue it would be.

I would NEVER DO THIS so it doesn't matter to me personally LOL. TY.,

Before replying, I was reading to see if this was mentioned, and it was. But I want to highlight it because linking any scripted multi-prim object to another object is a VERY BAD IDEA.

10 hours ago, KT Kingsley said:

one problem you can encounter when linking unrelated objects is that their scripts can lose track of the link numbers they use when creating special effects. Lights and lamps are a prime example. Well scripted objects should search out the new link numbers for their relevant components automatically when the link set changes, but not all of them do. Some will do so when the script is reset and some just assume the link numbers won't change from when the creator first created them.

And that's the reason.

If and when you unlink, say, a multi-prim sofa from another object, such as a house, you cannot  knowingly ensure that the sofa's prims end up being linked in the same order as they were originally. And that's true even if you know the original order. The best you can do is ensure that it ends up with the same root prim, and you can only do that if you remembered which prim it was.

Also, it could break the functionality of the both the object you are linking to, and the object itself. Once you've broken the functionality, there is a VERY VERY good chance that you won't be able to recover it if you unlink its prims from the object, and link it together again.

KT says that multi-prim scripted objects can check the link numbers of their parts if they need them for functionality, and they can - but they don't. There is no reason for them to do that, and I disagree with KT that objects "should" do it.

So my advice is NOT to do it with any multi-prim scripted object, and not to do it with any object if the object you are linking to has scripted functions.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

Oh - and another thing that can go wrong when you link unrelated objects is sit targets.

I think it works like this: when you sit on a link set the simulator looks through the links for the first one with an unoccupied sit target and sits you there. But when you link, say, a bath and a chair to your house you can end up with a situation where you click to sit on the chair but end up in the bath because the bath prim with the sit target has ended up with a lower link number that that for the chair. Or something like that.

If I need to link groups of items such as a full furnished home to take to inventory and rezz elsewhere I do a "temporary" link by going in edit mode and lassoing the whole home and right clicking take to inventory it will show as a coalsced object then when I want to rezz I go in to edit mode and rezz so I can move the group as one item 

If I get a new home and I want to move groups of objects like my library set, in edit mode I will "temporarily" link them with shift click on every item I want to keep grouped together and they can be moved as one object I can later delete or move things individually

If you permanently link the objects to the home or together not only can scripts misbehave, when you want to unlink your objects they won't retain their pre permanent linked state and you will have to go link each item back together 

9 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Ahhh. I see. Yes, mine tested were single sits. I pretty much figured there would be an issue so glad to know what issue it would be.

I would NEVER DO THIS so it doesn't matter to me personally LOL. TY.,

I recently added AVSitter couple furniture to my yacht... I now know how to do it - took me a week xD ... (especially without disrupting the seats reserved for sailing) my first tries ended me up in the kitchen or bedrooms each time I tried to sail it ...

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

It's been ages since I wore a house. I must be getting old :(

a shame, you should have on monday - for that best Newb look competition - who knows you could have won it.

Edited by Fionalein

On 6/19/2018 at 3:23 PM, Chic Aeon said:

Would you actually be able to explain this process to me? I would like to try it.

Actually linking all your furniture to your house is a really bad idea.

Say you have a couch that's 15 prims.  If you want to move the couch whilst it's unlinked, that's easy, just select any part of the couch and move it, and the whole thing moves. But if you have linked it to your house, then in order to move it, you have to select the whole thing, then select "edit linked parts" and then you have to select each one of those individual 15 prims in the couch, and pray you didn't miss one, cos if you did, you just broke your couch and it'll be a right pain in the neck to put it back together properly.

Additionally, some scripted objects (such as animated furniture or opening doors) will cease working if they are linked to anything else.  If you have six items of furniture with animation scripts in them, it's very likely that only one will work, and it'll work when you click ANYTHING in your house; the door, the floor, the windows etc.  Oh and your doors probably won't open any more. 

If you want to pick everything up in one go so you can rezz it down complete elsewhere, you can select everything without linking, and here's how.

First, go to the Build menu and make sure "Select Only My Objects" is ticked.

Use ALT+scroll wheel to pull your camera view back so you see your whole build within the screen. Then use SHIFT+left-click-drag to draw a box around everything. You should then see all your objects highlighted in yellow. Then right-click any one of them and choose "Take" from the menu.

The whole lot will then be in your inventory as one coalesced object, which you can rez back out later, and everything will be in the same relative position it was in before.

Edited by Matty Luminos

3 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

Additionally, some scripted objects (such as animated furniture or opening doors) will cease working if they are linked to anything else.  If you have six items of furniture with animation scripts in them, it's very likely that only one will work, and it'll work when you click ANYTHING in your house; the door, the floor, the windows etc.  Oh and your doors probably won't open any more. 

At least with AV sitter it's easy, just drop "-1"  into each link that is not a furniture and different numbers into thr links of your different furniture pieces... and then go isnane updating the "AVPOS" file for all your items... unless you want your house to rotate or do other cool moving stuff... just don't.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:53 AM, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

It's been ages since I wore a house. I must be getting old :(

That was the subject of one of the funniest forum posts ever.  The writer had accidentally "worn" a cabin.  He was getting razzed for making such a rookie mistake, so he decided to attach a cabin (it was 'Copy') to every point available on his avatar, getting rather large in the process. Funny stuff. "the Night I Became Cabin Man", or something much like that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Matty Luminos said:

Use ALT+scroll wheel to pull your camera view back so you see your whole build within the screen. Then use SHIFT+left-click-drag to draw a box around everything. You should then see all your objects highlighted in yellow. Then right-click any one of them and choose "Take" from the menu.

Note that sometimes you need to increase your draw distance a bit to actually get some of the tiny stuff.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2105 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.