How to build my own land?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2137 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You can't BUILD LAND here. You can actually in Opensim if you put your land on your own computer but that is another story.

You BUY land (or rent) and then you can make your dream home or club or store or whatever you want either buy BUYING items and placing them or by learning how to build and making them yourself. 

I suggest going to one of the inworld schools to learn all sorts of things you need to know .

Good luck. 

This is an immense topic, so I strongly recommend going at it slowly.  You will have many options (rent/buy, Mainland/private estate, parcel/region, commercial/residential, moderate/adult...) and will need to learn enough about SL's culture and economic system to make those choices intelligently.  I was in SL for more than a year before I decided to rent, and for a couple of years beyond that before I bought land -- overly cautious, perhaps, but it saved me pouring money into land that could have been overpriced or full of technical issues.

The smartest way to start, IMO, is to read as many articles in the Knowledge Base as you can (click the Knowledge Base tab above and search for "Land").  Then take Lindal Kidd's class on land ownership and management, offered Saturdays at Caledon Oxbridge University, in world (search with your map view).  Then start lurking in the forums and with friends you meet in world.  Ask questions of all kinds.  Read about the problems you are likely to encounter as a renter or a landowner, and about the many tools you will have to deal with them. Read through posts here in Answers to see what things tenants worry about, and why some of them aren't worth worrying about.  Get lots of opinions, because many of them will contradict each other (Some people are Mainland fanatics; others wouldn't live on the Mainland to save their lives, for example.)  Consider the possibility of having a Premium membership and accepting a Linden Home as you starter experience while you learn the ropes.

So many things to learn..... 9_9

Edited by Rolig Loon

That's logical but incorrect. Residents are not selling land that they created.  They are selling access to server space that Linden Lab continues to own. 

"Land," like everything else in SL, is a virtual asset in Linden Lab's servers.  Each region exists as a virtual construct within a specific server.  As residents, we are paying for that server space by paying monthly "land fees" (essentially rent or property tax) or, occasionally, by paying Linden Lab a one-time purchase price that you can think of as a license to use the space for our own purposes. Even when we buy land outright, we continue to pay those monthly fees.  I say "occasionally" because, in fact, most land is not sold directly by Linden Lab but is transferred from one resident to another.  Land is only sold directly by Linden Lab when a resident pays a large enough price to warrant adding a new server to the system (thus "creating" land) or when the Lab sells land at auction that residents have abandoned by not continuing to pay land fees. 

In addition to reading articles about land in the Knowledge Base, you may be interested in this article that describes some basics of server architecture >>> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Server_architecture

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2137 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.