Outfit Question for SL15B Crystal Ball Contest

Kytteh Wytchwood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I read the official SL Wiki for the Crystal Ball contest in celebration of SL15B. It states the "outfit" must be an old look from past years. It is very vague.

My question is, can I wear a mesh head, mesh body, mesh hair, mesh shoes, then wear like a flexi or standard sized mesh outfit?

I'm guessing they meant outfit, as in clothing. They recently had a SL15B contest for your oldest avatar but this is a new contest with a different theme.

I want to make sure I am doing it right so I have a chance at winning.

Edit: I have no idea which section my thread goes in. I haven't used the new forums.

Edited by Kytteh Wytchwood
adding info

12 hours ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

Edit: I have no idea which section my thread goes in. I haven't used the new forums.

The section won't likely matter in this case anyway.  Since we are all just Residents like you, we'd simply be giving our interpretation of the 'outfit' statement (which may or may not be any better than your interpretation) -- unless a Resident that is fully involved in the running of the contest happens to wander in.  Otherwise, you can hope that a Linden pops by and offers an answer.

IMO, I would use an outfit that consisted of system clothing only or possibly some prim attachments.  You could maybe get a similar look with a mesh body if the outfit creator supplies appliers to mimic the system clothing part.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The section won't likely matter in this case anyway.  Since we are all just Residents like you, we'd simply be giving our interpretation of the 'outfit' statement (which may or may not be any better than your interpretation) -- unless a Resident that is fully involved in the running of the contest happens to wander in.  Otherwise, you can hope that a Linden pops by and offers an answer.

IMO, I would use an outfit that consisted of system clothing only or possibly some prim attachments.  You could maybe get a similar look with a mesh body if the outfit creator supplies appliers to mimic the system clothing part.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if anyone knew but I was hopeful that maybe someone had contacted support and got detailed information. I'll go ahead and contact them. Thanks for the information. I just don't understand why the details for how we can dress was very vague. Everyone is going to have a different interpretation. I want to avoid combing through my inventory and setting up a full mesh avatar with prim attachments, only to find out too late that I am not considered an entry due to the mesh.

Edited by Kytteh Wytchwood

1 hour ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

Yeah, I wasn't sure if anyone knew but I was hopeful that maybe someone had contacted support and got detailed information. I'll go ahead and contact them. Thanks for the information. I just don't understand why the details for how we can dress was very vague. Everyone is going to have a different interpretation. I want to avoid combing through my inventory and setting up a full mesh avatar with prim attachments, only to find out too late that I am not considered an entry due to the mesh.

Most likely official support won't know. You need to ask someone directly related to SL15B and the ball. There is an inworld group for the celebration (SLB Community Celebration) which would be a good place to ask. OR look up the group leader and contact them directly.

Personally I think the idea is to go back in time "to your birth" so to speak with NO mesh bodies or clothes - hence less lag. This year the Lindens are back a co-creators and some rules have been changed and the big builds made very low lag (Chic claps here). So it seems to me that the point is to move back to pre-mesh and maybe even presculpt days. 

I won't be going but I did say a VERY old "Playboy Bunny" outfit and my favorite old hair  -- if the database hasn't lost it :D.  I don't think anyone will kick you out for wearing NEW skin, but to get in the spirit and old one would be good if you have it.

Again, this is just MY take on the event. 

chic_profile2.jpg

14 hours ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

I read the official SL Wiki for the Crystal Ball contest in celebration of SL15B. It states the "outfit" must be an old look from past years. It is very vague.

My question is, can I wear a mesh head, mesh body, mesh hair, mesh shoes, then wear like a flexi or standard sized mesh outfit?

I'm guessing they meant outfit, as in clothing. They recently had a SL15B contest for your oldest avatar but this is a new contest with a different theme.

I want to make sure I am doing it right so I have a chance at winning.

Note that the rules for the "Crystal Ball" event were almost certainly copied from the "Come as You Were" contest a couple of days ago. Since that paragraph is the only mention of an "old look" for the Crystal Ball and is identical to the line from the "Come as You Were" rules, I'm guessing that it was copied over and just not edited. Of course, I'm not qualified to say that officially though.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

This surely is old enough. Maybe it would be ok for the contest? :)
(One of the Library's complete avatars in 2007.)
Outfit-from-2007.jpg.0fbf12e8a1a8ddd902f34189b7c7bbcc.jpg

(^..^) OMG! Was (^..^) it really! (^..^)
Cats-stare.jpg.47afb6ae7a2e78981e94f6e10aa8a583.jpg

Yes, it was.  :(

• Haha 2

@Kytteh Wytchwood I like LittleMe's answer. You could try to coax a Linden into coming by this thread...

File a trouble ticket... you'll have to fudge the category.

Explain your question and point to this thread. Ask they forward your ticket to those Lindens running the contest and ask they answer here. Lindens tend to avoid having to answer questions person-by-person and favor answering for groups.

Other options are looking to see which Lindens or residents posted what regarding the contest. Your looking for official-type postings. Contact them. Lindens are busy and hate getting tied up in squishy preference questions. So be clear and crisp and try for yes/no answers.

From this thread you should get an idea what most of think. I suspect we are representative of SL, so it is reasonable to project our take on the community with a little salt. You could accept that and save yourself some effort.

6 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

@Kytteh Wytchwood I like LittleMe's answer. You could try to coax a Linden into coming by this thread...

File a trouble ticket... you'll have to fudge the category.

Explain your question and point to this thread. Ask they forward your ticket to those Lindens running the contest and ask they answer here. Lindens tend to avoid having to answer questions person-by-person and favor answering for groups.

Other options are looking to see which Lindens or residents posted what regarding the contest. Your looking for official-type postings. Contact them. Lindens are busy and hate getting tied up in squishy preference questions. So be clear and crisp and try for yes/no answers.

From this thread you should get an idea what most of think. I suspect we are representative of SL, so it is reasonable to project our take on the community with a little salt. You could accept that and save yourself some effort.

Thanks for the information. I'll see who made the contest post in the forum and ask to have a look at my thread concerning a valid question that concerns the entry for the theme. I rather rely on the staff because if I rely on a resident and that resident is wrong, I went searching through my huge inventory to put together a look that would be disqualified.

On 6/19/2018 at 11:45 AM, Theresa Tennyson said:

Note that the rules for the "Crystal Ball" event were almost certainly copied from the "Come as You Were" contest a couple of days ago. Since that paragraph is the only mention of an "old look" for the Crystal Ball and is identical to the line from the "Come as You Were" rules, I'm guessing that it was copied over and just not edited. Of course, I'm not qualified to say that officially though.

Yeah that is what it seemed like. Then the picture they use of the girl holding the crystal ball is confusing, because her avatar look is mesh and her clothes are not sculpty/ prim.

On 6/19/2018 at 10:33 AM, Chic Aeon said:

Most likely official support won't know. You need to ask someone directly related to SL15B and the ball. There is an inworld group for the celebration (SLB Community Celebration) which would be a good place to ask. OR look up the group leader and contact them directly.

Personally I think the idea is to go back in time "to your birth" so to speak with NO mesh bodies or clothes - hence less lag. This year the Lindens are back a co-creators and some rules have been changed and the big builds made very low lag (Chic claps here). So it seems to me that the point is to move back to pre-mesh and maybe even presculpt days. 

I won't be going but I did say a VERY old "Playboy Bunny" outfit and my favorite old hair  -- if the database hasn't lost it :D.  I don't think anyone will kick you out for wearing NEW skin, but to get in the spirit and old one would be good if you have it.

Again, this is just MY take on the event. 

chic_profile2.jpg

I have recently been trying to reduce my inventory since I have problems staying logged in on first login and I experience a lot of lag. I still have plenty of folders of older items, like system layers, old skins, prim clothes, prim hairs. Thank you very much for the information about the group. I will definitely contact them and ask for help. Great idea. I still have not contacted support yet since I wasn't sure they would respond to my question and I was waiting on more replies on this thread I started.

On 6/19/2018 at 3:41 PM, Coby Foden said:

This surely is old enough. Maybe it would be ok for the contest? :)
(One of the Library's complete avatars in 2007.)
Outfit-from-2007.jpg.0fbf12e8a1a8ddd902f34189b7c7bbcc.jpg

(^..^) OMG! Was (^..^) it really! (^..^)
Cats-stare.jpg.47afb6ae7a2e78981e94f6e10aa8a583.jpg

Yes, it was.  :(

lol cute kitties. It would be acceptable if you wore a crystal ball themed outfit. I think they want us to have a glamorous look.

3 minutes ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

I have recently been trying to reduce my inventory since I have problems staying logged in on first login and I experience a lot of lag.

Just as few notes on this: 

Inventory size does not really impact lag in SL.  Lag is more often an issue with graphics settings, computer hardware, network connection, textures at the location where you are at, etc...  

A very flat inventory (not lots of sub-folders in sub-folders, etc...) can definitely cause login issues.  However, if the inventory is well sub-divided even a large inventory won't really be a major issue for login and definitely shouldn't cause problems staying logged in once you get in.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Just as few notes on this: 

Inventory size does not really impact lag in SL.  Lag is more often an issue with graphics settings, computer hardware, network connection, textures at the location where you are at, etc...  

A very flat inventory (not lots of sub-folders in sub-folders, etc...) can definitely cause login issues.  However, if the inventory is well sub-divided even a large inventory won't really be a major issue for login and definitely shouldn't cause problems staying logged in once you get in.

For me, I have noticed if I create a new account, login, the lag is very minimal to nonexistent, depending where I go. I am able to easily open my inventory without freezing, create a landmark without freezing and crashing, etc. So yes inventory size does and can cause a lot of lag.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

For me, I have noticed if I create a new account, login, the lag is very minimal to nonexistent, depending where I go. I am able to easily open my inventory without freezing, create a landmark without freezing and crashing, etc. So yes inventory size does and can cause a lot of lag.

Interesting.  I see no difference between my SL w/ approx. 80k inventory and my alts who have less than 1000 in their inventory.   Even the SL wiki doesn't discuss inventory in their various articles about lag.

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Interesting.  I see no difference between my SL w/ approx. 80k inventory and my alts who have less than 1000 in their inventory.   Even the SL wiki doesn't discuss inventory in their various articles about lag.

Sailors believe this, then again sailors also live in 2003 clothingwise...

Just now, Fionalein said:

Sailors believe this, then again sailors also live in 2003 clothingwise...

Well, I have heard that what you are wearing - number of attachments, scripts, etc... - can impact sim crossing, especially in fast moving vehicles.

My inventory is about 45,000 these days. Even though I toss often and readily I have MANY backups of my builds and textures for builds and coalesced grouping from shops and events etc etc.   I can easily run three avatars or four if Lani is on the beta grid with no issues and up to 250 fps at times (not always). My computer is two years old now and sometimes crashes when I take photos with DOF but I am living with that since everything else is fine :D. 

If the new avatar works better is repeatable then I wonder WHAT is the difference.  I know folks with inventories four or five times bigger than mine with no issues.  So I agree with LittleMe, I doubt it is actually that. BUT a nice neatly cleaned inventory is a WONDERFUL THING for many other reasons LOL. 

7 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Well, I have heard that what you are wearing - number of attachments, scripts, etc... - can impact sim crossing, especially in fast moving vehicles.

Yes that is true but then they should not glue extra bits to their ships either ;)

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I am almost always under 50 for avatar complexity since I wear few attachments. It COULD also be that the folks having issues are not buying and wearing the most well-designed outfits. A new avatar is pretty thrifty in that department. 

A good test would be to completely change the old avatar (after saving the outfit of course) to one of the library avatars and note if that helps. 

1 hour ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

You are observing and jumping to an unsubstantiated conclusion. You've been around long enough to know better (2012).

Your inventory is a list of text information. The name of the item, some attributes, and the UUDI make up an entry item. The actual item and its data is in the assets servers. Looking at my 28MB inventory cache with 53k items suggests the average entry is 512B long. (SL Inventory API) Downloading a 28MB file is NOT a time consuming task. This file is checked at login and if you have logged in with another viewer and changed something in inventory a check or download will be run. 

When downloading a small inventory versus a large inventory one is talking 5 or 10 seconds different at most. This only happens at login. Lag in general is something different that happens after login. Other checks only happen after you open your inventory.

As current internet speeds are rated at tens of Mb per second...

Once downloaded the viewer and server only communicate about inventory when you are using it. Transfers at that point in time are minimal. 

There are a number of things that build up as you use your viewer. A couple are Friends List and Contacts. Work has been done to reduce lag from Contacts. But, the Contacts app does communicate with the servers to update who is online. So, there is more lag from Contacts than there ever will be from inventory. Years ago a common tip for improving performance was to delete Contacts. Changes to the viewer-servers has depreciated that recommendation.

The Friends List is having its challenges and suffers from some bugs. But, it is checking with the server to see who is online, friends online, people in the region, and tracking the location of Friends with location privileges. So, it too is more a creator of lag then inventory.

So, your problem opening inventory and making landmarks is NOT an inventory problem. Nor will those problems reduce by reducing inventory. BUT, you are most welcome to think inventory is the cause and continue to suffer from the problems. When your tired of the problems and willing to give up your belief it is caused by the size of your inventory, there will be people here willing to help.

On 6/20/2018 at 9:29 PM, Nalates Urriah said:

You are observing and jumping to an unsubstantiated conclusion. You've been around long enough to know better (2012).

Your inventory is a list of text information. The name of the item, some attributes, and the UUDI make up an entry item. The actual item and its data is in the assets servers. Looking at my 28MB inventory cache with 53k items suggests the average entry is 512B long. (SL Inventory API) Downloading a 28MB file is NOT a time consuming task. This file is checked at login and if you have logged in with another viewer and changed something in inventory a check or download will be run. 

When downloading a small inventory versus a large inventory one is talking 5 or 10 seconds different at most. This only happens at login. Lag in general is something different that happens after login. Other checks only happen after you open your inventory.

As current internet speeds are rated at tens of Mb per second...

Once downloaded the viewer and server only communicate about inventory when you are using it. Transfers at that point in time are minimal. 

There are a number of things that build up as you use your viewer. A couple are Friends List and Contacts. Work has been done to reduce lag from Contacts. But, the Contacts app does communicate with the servers to update who is online. So, there is more lag from Contacts than there ever will be from inventory. Years ago a common tip for improving performance was to delete Contacts. Changes to the viewer-servers has depreciated that recommendation.

The Friends List is having its challenges and suffers from some bugs. But, it is checking with the server to see who is online, friends online, people in the region, and tracking the location of Friends with location privileges. So, it too is more a creator of lag then inventory.

So, your problem opening inventory and making landmarks is NOT an inventory problem. Nor will those problems reduce by reducing inventory. BUT, you are most welcome to think inventory is the cause and continue to suffer from the problems. When your tired of the problems and willing to give up your belief it is caused by the size of your inventory, there will be people here willing to help.

Look, I am not here to get involved in arguments. I state what I said based on my own experiences. I googled lag and inventory and I found some forum threads and outside websites that state inventory count and inventory items can cause lag. I am not going to paste those links here. I also saw it mentioned on an official LL website. Feel free to do your research. Stop insinuating your opinions against me and thinking your way or the highway. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.