Mesh Clothing LOD

Naouvoo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2219 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello!

My question is: is LOD important when making mesh clothes? Do attachements such as mesh clothes always load no matter the distance?

I am asking because when I upload something and set the LOD to 0 on high, medium and low the mesh is still visible even from distance. This also lowers the complexity and server load.

However if I rezz it on the ground it appears as a signle triangle from even small distance.

Can I only view the worn mesh as intended while other people see it as a single triangle or all mesh clothes creators set this LOD to 0 and the mesh is not affected by LOD?

Thanks!

10 hours ago, Naouvoo said:

This also lowers the complexity and server load.

This is the result from a buggy and not reliable calculation, that is supposedly being addressed in a specific project (ARCTan). Can't be stressed enough, but lower LI and Complexity resulting from zeroing out LoDs is gaming the system and those values are NOT the real ones anyway. 

10 hours ago, Naouvoo said:

or all mesh clothes creators set this LOD to 0 and the mesh is not affected by LOD?

They do so to game the system in order to appear as "real professionals, that achieve high poly at low cost" but in reality those are more noobs than the last illiterate noob that has ever logged into SL or any other game-asset-based platform ever created.

Make your LoDs, when the buggy calculations will be replaced and LoDs will begin to properly display, the "pros" will have to update or retire their items, you won't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Naouvoo said:

This also lowers the complexity and server load.

Optimo already answered but I think it's important to make this absolutely clear.

The fitmesh LoD bug does not in any way reduce the actual complexity or the server load. The only thing it does, is skew the calculation so the render cost readout you get is wrong. Linden Lab has acknowledged the bug and say they are working on it. It will probably take a while but sooner or later they have to come up with a solution and when they do, all the fitted mesh made to take advantage of the bug will probably be broken one way or another.

So if you want to plan for the future, follow Optimo's advice: Make your mesh with good LoD models based on how it looks when rezzed and scaled to the roughly same size it will have when worn.

Incidentally, I may have an example how serious the fitmesh LoD bug can be. It's from the OS Grid but it's the same viewer and the same rendering software so it does apply to SL too.

There was an influx of newcomers there yesterday. At the peak there were almost 50 new system avatars piled up in an area smaller than an SL dance floor at Lbsa Plaza. Plus a few old-timers with fitmesh avatars of course. At first my computer had no problems whatsoever handling them all but then one "Fashionista style" avatar fully loaded with fitmesh entered the view and my computer choked. Her ARC wasn't particularly high - just over 100,000 - but the actual render load was higher than all the other avatars combined. Fiddling with the jellydoll filter, I found that I could set it low enough to derender all the other mesh avatars in the sim and she was still fully rendered and still causing problems. One of the other mesh avatars had a nominal render cost well over 300,000 but still not causing the same problems when fully rendered. That is how far off the calculated render cost is from the actual one for fitted mesh. There is no relationship between them at all.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2219 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.