Could Someone Explain About the Ears, Please?

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1930 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

OK, I've been wondering about this for some time, because of the look a prominent Linden has, but here's this look right on the splash screen now, so it's time to ask about what I don't understand.

I get that some people want to have non-human ears. Like they are furries or elves or whatever. Or they could be Nekos, which I remember were big some years ago and now I hardly ever see them anymore. I don't know the name for these ears. Maybe they *are* Neko?

What I don't understand is why BOTH these furry ears AND the human ears. Like, why not have a thing that makes the human ears disappear? Or why not have the furry ears COVER the human ears? Doesn't it kind of destroy the look?

ears.png

22 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

What I don't understand is why BOTH these furry ears AND the human ears. Like, why not have a thing that makes the human ears disappear? Or why not have the furry ears COVER the human ears? Doesn't it kind of destroy the look?

No idea you can hide the ears on most modern mesh heads and on old system heads, and you can buy covers for the holes or wear long hair... I do not get it either.

Edited by Fionalein

This is too funny!  Seriously?  This is SL.  And having said that, anything you want, you can do including wearing two sets of ears if you want to.  It is just a matter of personal taste and what the individual likes.  That is why SL is so much fun!  And we all do not have to understand other's choices at all.  Just respect them.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

OK, I've been wondering about this for some time, because of the look a prominent Linden has, but here's this look right on the splash screen now, so it's time to ask about what I don't understand.

I get that some people want to have non-human ears. Like they are furries or elves or whatever. Or they could be Nekos, which I remember were big some years ago and now I hardly ever see them anymore. I don't know the name for these ears. Maybe they *are* Neko?

The important thing is not how many ears you have, but whether you listen with them.

• Like 4

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Sure, I can explain.  :)

We did the image you reference specifically in this manner for some diversity.  It is one of three images, and the other two images are in use elsewhere, in case you haven't seen them:

6da3baad39b21852b27b639bf72c4ba7.jpg

4490ebe1d06c50b817d3e3a3f4ab4d08.jpg

As I am Nezumi, retaining my human ears as part of my spin on anthropomorphism is my choice.   The ears have been there since day 1 and are a symbolic part of my history that carried on from my Resident alt account which was Neko.

Sadly it seems most neko/nezumi stuff has waned in interest.   I'd love to get a set of updated ears and a new bento-ized tail made some day so I can keep wearing all 4 of my ears, tail and both eyes for as long as I'm around.

See you at Pride!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Patch Linden said:

Sure, I can explain.  :)

We did the image you reference specifically in this manner for some diversity.  It is one of three images, and the other two images are in use elsewhere, in case you haven't seen them:

6da3baad39b21852b27b639bf72c4ba7.jpg

4490ebe1d06c50b817d3e3a3f4ab4d08.jpg

As I am Nezumi, retaining my human ears as part of my spin on anthropomorphism is my choice.   The ears have been there since day 1 and are a symbolic part of my history that carried on from my Resident alt account which was Neko.

Sadly it seems most neko/nezumi stuff has waned in interest.   I'd love to get a set of updated ears and a new bento-ized tail made some day so I can keep wearing all 4 of my ears, tail and both eyes for as long as I'm around.

See you at Pride!

Oh, that's interesting! Thanks. I myself have a simple answer for these kind of questions which is, "Because I can."

Yes, it seems Neko has waned. I have a whole room set of Neko things including even a suitcase, but sadly they are not on transfer and the maker is gone or I would send them to you. I have learned a new word -- Nezumi. Interesting!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Tazzie Tuque said:

This is too funny!  Seriously?  This is SL.  And having said that, anything you want, you can do including wearing two sets of ears if you want to.  It is just a matter of personal taste and what the individual likes.  That is why SL is so much fun!  And we all do not have to understand other's choices at all.  Just respect them.

I wanted to a) confirm that they are ears -- maybe they weren't? b) understand the set-up -- and Patch gave a good answer.

What would it be about "disrespect" or even "derendering" or "leaving" as some in this thread suggest.

It's about understanding. The end.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Tazzie Tuque said:

And we all do not have to understand other's choices at all.  Just respect them.

No we do not HAVE to understand other people's choices, but what so many these days don't seem to get is that it is not a sign of disrespect to be curious about something and thus ask 'why'.  Just the opposite, IMO - it is a sign of respect to show curiousity and wish to understand others.

• Like 4

I've had 4 ears and a tail since January 2007.

As a Neko I proudly celebrate both my heritages. I am proud of the compassion and goodness of my human side and I am proud of the playfulness and bratty bossiness of my feline side.  As Patch mentioned above, there are really not many hybrids left these days, but this is who I am, and part of that is 2 sets of ears. I don't see it changing.

Snapshot_021s.png.53157d975b09abd22e591f8330ff05b4.png

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

I've had 4 ears and a tail since January 2007.

As a Neko I proudly celebrate both my heritages. I am proud of the compassion and goodness of my human side and I am proud of the playfulness and bratty bossiness of my feline side.  As Patch mentioned above, there are really not many hybrids left these days, but this is who I am, and part of that is 2 sets of ears. I don't see it changing.

Snapshot_021s.png.53157d975b09abd22e591f8330ff05b4.png

So there's a range of Neko ears, then.

Also, can you explain why they are offered *fried* on the MP, with even points for eating them in some game??? This sounds AWFUL.

• Like 1

While we're on the subject of tolerance, let's talk about the Love That Dare Not Speak Its Name, human-furry, in the picture Patch featured.

I have to say, I have never seen a human/furry couple ever in SL. In my life. And I've seen a lot. But perhaps they are in hiding somewhere.

imageproxy.jpg

21 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I have to say, I have never seen a human/furry couple ever in SL. In my life. And I've seen a lot. But perhaps they are in hiding somewhere.

That is a matter of perspective some might wonder where you have been hiding never to see such a thing ;)

• Like 1

On 6/18/2018 at 8:18 AM, Patch Linden said:

Sadly it seems most neko/nezumi stuff has waned in interest.

On 6/20/2018 at 6:18 PM, Callum Meriman said:

As Patch mentioned above, there are really not many hybrids left these days

On 6/20/2018 at 7:10 PM, Prokofy Neva said:

I have to say, I have never seen a human/furry couple ever in SL.

You guys either don't get out much or shop around much, heh.

On 7/8/2018 at 5:06 PM, Lucia Nightfire said:

You guys either don't get out much or shop around much, heh.

Not true. I go to all the merchants' events, where people go to see and be seen and dress up in their greatest costumes, often. Especially We <> RP. I explore all kinds of places on SL and maintain several listserves of places to see. And I just haven't seen it. Because it is rare.

On 6/20/2018 at 8:09 PM, Prokofy Neva said:

So there's a range of Neko ears, then.

Also, can you explain why they are offered *fried* on the MP, with even points for eating them in some game??? This sounds AWFUL.

Perhaps it is similar to how "pig's ears" are commonly sold to be used as dog treats.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1930 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.