LGBTQ Marketing & Advertising

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 888 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I understand that the lesbian and gay community is a growing and complex place.  These communities generally celebrate pride, diversity, individuality, and sexuality. I personally dont believe there is anything wrong with that. However, Not all people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender consider themselves part of the LGBT community. Second Life is a place of self expression, and creativity. A person doesn't just find their place in Second Life, Their place is created by them. So why the need for advertising LGBTQ communities? Over the course of the past few years corporate america has created a market for the LGBTQ community. But in doing so and without realizing more often than not aren't they "stereotyping"? For example, how many reading this has heard "alternative lifestyle"? Yet somehow when the big corporate companies say it stereotyping doesn't sound so bad. Why is second Life only advertising LGBTQ communities? There are many other large minority groups such as African American, & Native Americans and do i dare say white to name a few that would like equal representation and acknowledgements as well.

• Confused 5

3 hours ago, MissAvina said:

I understand that the lesbian and gay community is a growing and complex place.  These communities generally celebrate pride, diversity, individuality, and sexuality. I personally dont believe there is anything wrong with that. However, Not all people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender consider themselves part of the LGBT community. Second Life is a place of self expression, and creativity. A person doesn't just find their place in Second Life, Their place is created by them. So why the need for advertising LGBTQ communities? Over the course of the past few years corporate america has created a market for the LGBTQ community. But in doing so and without realizing more often than not aren't they "stereotyping"? For example, how many reading this has heard "alternative lifestyle"? Yet somehow when the big corporate companies say it stereotyping doesn't sound so bad. Why is second Life only advertising LGBTQ communities? There are many other large minority groups such as African American, & Native Americans and do i dare say white to name a few that would like equal representation and acknowledgements as well.

They market to vampires too...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, MissAvina said:

So basically you are saying that Linden Lab ONLY targets one community with advertising because they had "Celebrate Pride" on the front page of their site....... during Pride?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 9

Speaking as one who has worked in the corporate world for a couple of decades as my “money and bennies” Gig  (and is therefore very cynical about the corporate world)....

....Marketing has one goal, and it is never lofty or high-toned. Marketing is about opening the wallets of a target group.

If a particular demographic is Trendy and there is money to be made by appearing supportive - that group will be marketed to :-)

This means that almost everyone will get their turn......

Personally, I’m very pleased to see LGBTQ being included as that applies to -me-,  but thats my ego talking. I’m just as glad to see other groups get their moment in the sun.

giphy.gif

Edited by AmandaKeen
  • Like 5

Greetings!

Why is Linden Lab/Second Life Celebrating Pride?  Because it is Pride!!  Party Time!!!

SLB15 is happening at the same time, so you are primarily seeing all of the Happy Birthday celebrations for Second Life.  Since Pride is happening at the same time, some of the that celebration of Pride is crossing over. 

Second Life doesn't just celebrate Pride.  Second Life has events for most major holidays, including St. Patrick's Day which is primarily an Irish Holiday, and Easter, which is a religious holiday, along with Seasonal Events, like Summer, Winter, Winterfest/Christmas/Kwanza, etc.

I would like to touch on one one issue that was raised in the OP.  That of the lack of celebrations for racial pride.

LGBT Pride is a visibility issue.  While assumptions can be made based on stereotypes, unless and until someone comes out or is public about their sexuality, members of that community are hidden.  We are black, white, red, furries, dragons, vampires, tinies, etc.  We ARE literally, everywhere. 

But that means we are also hidden, ignored, and I dare say, many time, bashed, for who we are.  

Linden Lab is a very diverse company.  Employees are from all walks of life, and all races, and cultures.  Off of the top of my head I can say for a fact that we have White, Black, Asian, and Native American employees.  Those same employees are also across the entire sexuality spectrum; straight, gay, bi, poly, and trans, etc. 

Linden Lab is based in San Francisco, California, so Pride is not only a local celebration in the city itself, it is a US wide celebration, and even a World Wide Celebration. 

Keep in mind, though, there isn't a White Pride celebration that is world wide with specific dates.  Same with Black Pride. Although there is a Black History Month celebrated in the USA.  I am personally not aware of a Native American Pride Celebration, but there might be!  

If you are aware of a celebration event that you would like Linden Lab to have, that has specific dates, and is World Wide, I would encourage anyone to send off mail to the Linden Lab corporate office (address is in the ToS), and ask that they consider adding that Celebration.  I would include the Type, like Black History, and the dates of the Real World Celebration, along with your personal feelings on why you would like to see it celebrated by the company (Second Life), especially if you are asking for your own personal reasons. So if you are black, and asking for a Celebration for Black History Month, etc., I think, personally, it would have a greater impact with the company. 

There is no guarantee that the company will add your request/suggestion to the list of ones that are done in Second Life.  But the old adage applies, if no one says anything, the company has no way of knowing.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 888 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.