Sign in to follow this  
AlexandriaBrangwin

Banned from the Offical Second Life Flickr feed

A few years ago I was banned unjustly from the Second Life Flickr feed without explanation, without the possibility of review...and with all my inquiries on the topic ignored.

Now I'm seeing actual ads appearing in the group without consequence so it fired me up again.

Has anyone here suffered the same overzealous "shoot first and ask no questions" fate?

What did they accuse you of?

I was recently banned, no idea why, no answer when I asked. I can guess that when posting pictures from the tiny thumbnails, I didn't notice that one wasn't appropriate, but its only a guess.I do not really understand what that has to do with anything in the forums though.

15 hours ago, Talligurl said:

I was recently banned, no idea why, no answer when I asked. I can guess that when posting pictures from the tiny thumbnails, I didn't notice that one wasn't appropriate, but its only a guess.I do not really understand what that has to do with anything in the forums though.

Says right up the top "Submit your images for pic of the day"...apparently that comes with a whole world of baggage.

See I could have provided so many helpful pics to market & promote Second life to a very broad audience.

I've reached over 6.6 million people with my work and everything I post in the day gets between 500-1000 viewers.

I mean do you think the attached pic would suit being on the landing page for the MP or other material?

But because some trigger-happy BLIND man decided to ban me, the Lindens can never use that...and that seems like a stupid & pointless shame.

Where we only see clarity.jpg

Edited by AlexandriaBrangwin
Adding

If you read the Group *rules* (at Flickr) it explains everything in relatively simple language. The biggest no-no is sexually *suggestive* or nudie pix, along with I.P. violations and so on. I can see if you highlight, then drag a bundle of thumbnails over to the group how a no-no picture can end-up in there.

Recommendation: Don't be lazy. The experienced Flickr users know better: review each picture and add it to any groups from that pictures review page.

//JustSaying

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

Having your pictures properly labeled as to safe, moderate, or restricted should prevent it as well, since only safe pictures cab be submitted. To tell the truth I had pretty much given up on ever having my pictures picked for anything in that group anyway. I see myself as a second class citizen in SL, no last name, free account, involved with SL's adult intertainment industry. I figure the high and mighty who control who gets picked, looked down thier noses at me and we're all to happy to find an excuse to ban me. But I see this the same way I see every case where I get banned, they lose more than I do, and I just move on.

On 6/20/2018 at 7:38 AM, AlexandriaBrangwin said:

Says right up the top "Submit your images for pic of the day"...apparently that comes with a whole world of baggage.

See I could have provided so many helpful pics to market & promote Second life to a very broad audience.

I've reached over 6.6 million people with my work and everything I post in the day gets between 500-1000 viewers.

I mean do you think the attached pic would suit being on the landing page for the MP or other material?

But because some trigger-happy BLIND man decided to ban me, the Lindens can never use that...and that seems like a stupid & pointless shame.

You are scantily clad, showing a lot of skin as well.  You have to remember that Second Life is geared towards 13 and up. It must be family friendly. Also, the image should be crisp. You have a lot of blur going on with your avatar. Have a look at the pics they choose so that you know what they look for and you can draw inspiration from those pics as a reference.  And Flickr members are very strict about other members who fail to place the correct maturity rating. Although I am surprised this happened to you. I see advertisements, sexual positions pics and obvious blogger pics in their Flickr group. No one is moderating it. It's sad.

9 hours ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

You have a lot of blur going on with your avatar.

Yes, what's with that? The background is in crisp focus and the foreground is blurry.

50 minutes ago, animats said:

Yes, what's with that?

Artistic touch of style and one's own personal preferences and/or attempt to play with unusual perspectives? Just, like, y'know, maybe. Perhaps. Could be.

But in a place where 13 year olds are mentally damaged for life just by the sight of a rather pretty bathing suit, what can you expect...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, animats said:

Yes, what's with that? The background is in crisp focus and the foreground is blurry.

The camera focus was on the structures in the background, I was in the depth of field fringes.

• Like 1

Taking into account that SL is used world-wide, use a burkini will make all happy.

It makes me laugh that 13 yr old, roaming the internet, could be offended by "painted" nudity while they have to look at in a museum because it´s art.

Maybe some people need to update their view of the world to realize - we have the internet where you get everything everytime. Want it or not.

Monti

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 20/06/2018 at 1:38 PM, AlexandriaBrangwin said:

There is nothing in this picture that warrants a ban. Perhaps it might not be accepted as the pic of the day because of the naked female shoulder (my eyes don't roll far enough back), but never a ban. And even if it did, it's horrendous unprofessional for LL to ban you without even sending you a note explaining why.

Also I love what you did with DoF here, it's gorgeous x

• Thanks 1

On 17. 6. 2018 at 10:42 AM, AlexandriaBrangwin said:

A few years ago I was banned unjustly from the Second Life Flickr feed without explanation, without the possibility of review...and with all my inquiries on the topic ignored.

I fully agree everyone should be told why they were banned IF its not clear from the rules of the group. If they are not told and rules doesn't make it clear, thas not good admin's work behind.

But I see some misunderstandings in this thread as well.

I beleive Flickr doesn't have tool to ban specific pictures (they can be removed from group pools or don't accepted there, but not banned), so when someone gets ban, its for their entire account. If they weren't told why they got the ban, they can't say "it was because of this picture" - so I beleive OP was not banned for the picture she posted here.

(I dare to guess the picture is new and she got the ban years ago - so all the comments about the swimwear on the picture doens't seems to be fitting the situation.)

I went randomly through OP's Flickr photostream and despite fact I didn't check all pictures I found one with full nudity, but set as "safe". Thats incorrect setting against Flickr community guidelines. The picture is couple of years old. Maybe its single mistake and all other pictures are set correctly, I didnt check them too many, so idk. But maybe years ago happened that the wrong setting cause the ban. 

So maybe you can re-check your photostream, set it all correctly (if there is more incorrect settings) and then send flickrmail to admin of the group and ask for review? If the admin's account is shared between Lindens, the person who ban you years ago is maybe even not there and other admin can have different approach.

• Like 3

The Second Life Flickr group's rules specifically state what is not allowed.It also states if their rules are broken, your account will be banned.People tend to not read group rules and post what they want. Ignorance doesn't give you a free pass. You're lucky OP that Flickr has not deleted your account for incorrect filters for your pics. Also, you need to correctly select your photo type. All SL pics are screenshots. I have recently been correcting my pics in the Organizer. 

As far as 13 yr olds go, what I was trying to stress, is that LL goes for pictures that are "family friendly". I stated the age because that is the minimum requirement to register with Second Life. You can't assume that every child doesn't have parents who don't supervise their children. Not every upbringing is the same. I wasn't even trying to get into family dynamics. Don't twist my words around to suit your agenda.

Hmm. For someone who can barely accept any negativity about about their own work, that's quite some eagerness to point out what someone else might have "misunderstood"...

1 hour ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

The Second Life Flickr group's rules specifically state what is not allowed.It also states if their rules are broken, your account will be banned.People tend to not read group rules and post what they want. Ignorance doesn't give you a free pass. You're lucky OP that Flickr has not deleted your account for incorrect filters for your pics. Also, you need to correctly select your photo type. All SL pics are screenshots. I have recently been correcting my pics in the Organizer. 

"We just wanted to let you know that we've updated our rules for the Second Life Official Flickr group. " OP said she was banned years ago. Do you know what rules were in the group when she was banned? I don't. So I don't dare to say they were clear as they are today. 

Some people tend to judge others too fast ... if someone says they don't know why they got ban, they aren't probably aware they did something against the rules. Doesn't mean they didn't read them.

2/ "Screenshots" aren't the only correct "content type". Most SL photographers takes screenshots and then edit them. Once someone worked on it in Photoshop for 8 hours and mixed the original screenshot with virtual painting and other techniques, thats not "screenshot" anymore =  not ALL SL pics are screenshots. They can be "art", "images" etc. Speaking about the oficial SL group, they allow all that content types:

• Accepted content types: Photos, Images, Art, Screenshots

Some people prefer to call it "photography" as shortcut for "virtual photography" or "in-game photography". Its probably why they set it as "photography" in the content tab. And its why they call themselves "photographers" when they don't make RL photography at all. Just because you personaly don't like it - as you mentioned in other thread -  its not automatically incorrect.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-game_photography

--------------------

(But I agree content type "photography" should not be used, because it makes RL photographers on Flickr upset - as we can read on Flickr Help forum -  because they have no interest to see other content than RL photos and they need way how to block non-RL pictures in searching. SL community should be more respectful and allow non-SL users to have this option by chosing "photography" in searching filters.)  

Edited by loverdag

5 hours ago, loverdag said:

They can be "art", "images" etc.

The fact is, it is still an in game screenshot using the tools found within the game. Even if people paint on the screenshot, it is only a rendered image with paint on it. Thus, it is not a photo. It is art created by the game developers. If you want to claim it as your own art, try High Fidelity for example. Create your own world by the mesh you upload, and then you can say it's your art because you created it in the game, piece by piece. Including the ability to create your own avatar and uploading it. I think SL is bending the rules in their group to allow illustrations and photos when everything from SL is a screenshot. A manipulated screenshot. 

6 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Hmm. For someone who can barely accept any negativity about about their own work, that's quite some eagerness to point out what someone else might have "misunderstood"...

Stop coming at me. If you read the thread I created, I thanked a user for their blunt answer. If you retort with something nasty again, you'll be blocked. A forum is for discussion, not to be stalked and harassed.

Edited by Kytteh Wytchwood

3 hours ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

The fact is, it is still an in game screenshot using the tools found within the game. Even if people paint on the screenshot, it is only a rendered image with paint on it. Thus, it is not a photo. It is art created by the game developers. If you want to claim it as your own art, try High Fidelity for example. Create your own world by the mesh you upload, and then you can say it's your art because you created it in the game, piece by piece. Including the ability to create your own avatar and uploading it. I think SL is bending the rules in their group to allow illustrations and photos when everything from SL is a screenshot. A manipulated screenshot. 

We don't talk in general about what is or is not art - it doens't have place here at all. We talk about Flickr settings for "content tab" - its why I wrote it "art" and not art without " ".

I'm pretty sure Flickr doesn't have any rules about your own meshes in High Fidelity  to allow use "image", "art" or "illustration", "arwork" or others in the content tab of uploaded content. 

And my point was - as long as I understood how Flickr works, really doesn't matter if you set your work as "art", "artwork", "image" or whatever, because as long as it not set as "photography", its removed from default searching - so as I said, it gives the RL photographers easy tool how not to see anything non-RL. And its what we should to do for them with respect to non-SL Flickr users. 

Edited by loverdag

27 minutes ago, loverdag said:

it not set as "photography", its removed from default searching 

There is no content type labeled photography. I think you mean keyword. The 3 types are photo, illustration and screenshot.

24 minutes ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

There is no content type labeled photography. I think you mean keyword. The 3 types are photo, illustration and screenshot.

Yes, "photo". It should be the only one in the default searching.

32 minutes ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

I think you mean keyword.

I mean "content type". You are right its "photo" not "photography". But there is more than the 3 you mentioned, probably depends on platform/app used to acess Flickr. I see those 3 in Win/web Uploader for my own pictures and more of them I see as group admin in the group settings (on same platform)  - so I guess if I got more in the group, users must have option to set them somehow, even when I don't have it myself in my Uploader.

Not sure what you mean as "key word", I don't have such a thing in Win Uploader. If you mean "tags" - they became messed up when Yahoo added broken auto-tags, so I'm not sure if or how much they are really used today.

But this is already off topic.