Intruder coming to our sim and moving objects

Jinnybird

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2139 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My friends and I created a detailed landscaped sim, and this week I arrived to find someone had come to the sim and moved/rotated the doors of one of the houses. We have a visitor counter and so I was able to see the last two names and blocked them. But how does someone do this? Is there some setting in 'About Land' or 'Region/Estate' that we have unchecked? Thought it was all covered. How can we prevent it from happening again? I'm worried that we'll log on and find other objects and landscaping moved or edited. 

19 answers to this question

Unless you allowed someone specific to edit your items they should not be able to. Most likley you blocked the wrong guys. Try opening the doors and closing them again. If they snap to useless positons the doors have bad scripts.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 3

Besides Rolig's suggestions...

If it's not a private region (or if it is, and you don't have estate manager rights), you can still:

Go to World/Parcel Details.

• In the Options tab, set it to Safe (no damage)
  • Set teleport routing to only allow tp to a designated access point
  • Turn off scripts
  • Turn off flight (this and the tp limitation will make it harder for attackers to flit around, and make them easier to catch)
  • In the Access tab,
    • Ban the specific people you think were responsible
    • Set the build option to "group only", not "everyone"
    • Turn terraforming off
    • Turn off "object entry"
    • You can, if you wish, set the land to allow only you, or your group, or people specifically on the access list, to enter

You may also want to check your group's members.  Eject the griefers, if they are members.

Make sure your group members are not allowed to edit group owned objects

If major parts of your build are group owned, you might consider not doing that.   Very few objects NEED to be group owned...mainly radios and TVs that need to be deeded to a group to work on group owned land.

Despite all these precautions, you might still have trouble.  I have never experienced it personally, but I have a few reliable reports of griefers who were able to enter where they should not have been able to and manipulate or take objects that did not belong to them and that they should not have been able to affect.  Be sure to include ALL information of this sort in any abuse reports you submit.

• Like 1

Althoug Rolig's and Lindal's advice may be good in extreme situations, there should be no need to limit access to the land to prevent people messing with your items so that seems a bit like an overkill here.

Normally only the owner is able to edit a rezzed object. The only exception is - as Fionalein said - if you have given somebody specifically permission to edit or if you have set the object to allow anybody to move it. Never ever do either of those unless you ahve a very, very good reason for it.

And as Lindal said, do not deed objects to the group unless they contain some script that can only work if they are.

When it comes to land settings for general protection against griefers:

• Do not allow anybody but group owners to terraform or build with Linden vegetation
  • Safe (no damage) on
  • Pushing off
  • Autoreturn always on. No buiding and no object entry do not always work. Autoreturn is guaranteed to take care of anything that somehow makes it through.

Those are the essentials.

• Like 1

I had  been online landscaping for a couple hours, and this happened in the last three hours. The doors have been on the house for six months and work great..no bad scripts. One door was rotated upside down and twisted. And...the username of the last visitor was a sort of tongue-in-cheek name that make it clear they were there to create havoc, if you know what I mean. So...obviously someone was able to do it, I just don't know how.  

Assuming that this is a private region, open the Region/Estate panel in the Worl Menu.  Look at the Estate tab, and be sure that the Anyone Can Visit Button is UNCHECKED and the one marked Allow Only Residents and Groups Listed Below is CHECKED.  Then list specific people and groups allowed.  For good measure, open the Region tab and check Block Terraform.  You should have done those things before, but there's no time like the present.

19 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Autoreturn always on. No buiding and no object entry do not always work. Autoreturn is guaranteed to take care of anything that somehow makes it through.

And to return your own stuff if you accidentally set it to the wrong group.  As a rule, I have avoided using AutoReturn for eleven years now, and have seen more downsides than upsides to it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Unless you allowed someone specific to edit your items they should not be able to.

That's the most important point. Open the object they messed with using "Edit", and look in the "General" tab.  There are checkboxes near the bottom:

Anyone

Move ☑ Copy ☑

Make sure those are NOT checked. If Move is checked, anyone can move  that object. Un-check it if it's on.

Edited by animats
Add info
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Jinnybird said:

I had  been online landscaping for a couple hours, and this happened in the last three hours. The doors have been on the house for six months and work great..no bad scripts. One door was rotated upside down and twisted. And...the username of the last visitor was a sort of tongue-in-cheek name that make it clear they were there to create havoc, if you know what I mean. So...obviously someone was able to do it, I just don't know how.  

There are two JIRA's describing issues that will cause something that sounds like this, and they're caused by scripting issues that were previously hidden. A recent server update caused them to start showing up this way. They only show up in certain situations depending on camera position. This JIRA has the most information on it:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-216273

This one has a picture that sounds very similar to what you're describing:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-216251

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Hmmm......I looked at my settings and the only thing not checked was ‘no pushing’, and 'others can run scripts'. I changed it to ‘no pushing’, but have to keep everyone running scripts because we do want this to be a place open to all. Everything else is buttoned down. There are only three of us in the group, all who are friends, so it’s not an inside job. Also, that was interesting to know about the box in the edit mode of an object, ‘everyone’ can ‘move’, etc. I looked at the door that had been moved and this box was not enabled.  

As for the JIRA thing, I looked at the links because it did indeed sound similar to what happened…but, I don’t think this was it. I know where there are two more copies of this house with the same doors—I TP’d in to look and their doors are fine. I’m inclined to believe that someone knows how to initiate little annoyances such as this, simply because the username of the visitor was something like ‘house troublemaker’!

I guess it remains a mystery how it was done. Perhaps someone ‘pushed’ it. 

I’ll post again if it happens. Thanks so much for all your input and help.

Jinny

15 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

And to return your own stuff if you accidentally set it to the wrong group.

Just wanted to note that Firestorm has a feature that will automatically set objects to the land group needed (obviously you need to be PART of that land group).  I have used this for years and it solves all those return issues.

The only problem that I have is with LEA6 which is just "mine" (no group) and so if I forget to set my tag to none (often it seems) then I end up with groups set in the build menu and mentioned in the search tab etc. So I periodically check and change those to none. This doesn't HURT anything of course but really looks pretty weird if someone actually opens area search LOL. 

image.png.3245955e89f2c41443cbc2eccd21bdb3.png

35 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

use what?..seriously hope it doesn't mean what i think it does

I think it does but as far as I can tell this is no longer against the TOS as it used to be years ago. Lots of brands share a "store alt" for example. You are now responsible for keeping your account info safe, but will no longer lose you account (as in the past) if you do not. You of course could lose your account in another way, but not at LL's hands. That's my take on it and there have been a few threads over the recent years about this. 

Personally I don't think this is greifing. I had a door do that a couple of days ago at the Linden Inworld Shopping Event (setup). That is the same door script I always use and have had NO issues with it (there are other copies rezzed).  So I vote for the "quirky SL" and JIRA theme.  

14 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I think it does but as far as I can tell this is no longer against the TOS

yes, but i didnt mean it as against TOS, but more.... "i didn't do it" ... really i didn't do it.... because trusting others with your account, even family or how close it may be... has the risk somebody made a mistake... perhaps not even seen it, and not intentional..... most of us know how easy something is screwed up when in edit mode, and have "edit linked"  enabled while it's not meant to be..

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:
46 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

use what?..seriously hope it doesn't mean what i think it does

I think it does but as far as I can tell this is no longer against the TOS as it used to be years ago. Lots of brands share a "store alt" for example. You are now responsible for keeping your account info safe, but will no longer lose you account (as in the past) if you do not. You of course could lose your account in another way, but not at LL's hands. That's my take on it and there have been a few threads over the recent years about this. 

It's hasn't been against the TOS for many years because, as you point out, it is common practice for some businesses or groups to share a "manager" account that senior members can all log into for routine building and inventory tasks.  It saves having no-trans items spread across several individual accounts and it means that components created under that account can all be linked/locked/re-permed easily.  It's still a risky practice, because it means that several people have access to that account's assets even though the account owner has 100% of the liability if things go wrong.  I would only agree to do that with people I had known and trusted for a long time, and would still watch my back.

• Like 1

Um, literally, I have a RL family member who signs on and plants my succulents and heliotrope and other landscaping when I need a break. That's the extent of it. I do about 95% of my sim, and a ton of landscaping work has gone into it over time. My family members are in my sim group, but they don't have the huge landscaping inventory I have so it's just easier to do it that way. In any case, I 100% trust them to plant my banana trees without touching anything else!--and also, in this particular incident, I know for a fact neither of them was online making a 'mistake' in the three hours during which my silly door went bonkers. :)

I went to your region & checked if you had any objects set to anyone can move & you don't.
I also tested the doors in the house on the region & they all appear to be working fine.

Tip: On a region where you have no land rights & you are not an EM, going to Build -> Pathfinding -> Region objects will only display objects that you are allowed to move or have return rights for.

Edited by Whirly Fizzle
Don't post after 4 large glasses of port...
  • Like 1

Just an addendum to the "account sharing" comment above. I was just over at the Sansar website to see if the Sansar terms had changed (not the LL TOS which was the same for SL and Sansar last time I checked). While I wasn't any happier with the terms LOL, I did find this bit of interesting info:

You acknowledge that you may not sell, transfer, share, or assign your Account or its contractual rights, licenses and obligations, to or with any third party without our prior written consent;

So THERE, the rules are back to SL's old ones it seem. Just thought that was interesting. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2139 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.