gceniceros209

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2019 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Thank you guys for all your feedback, I do appreciate your honesty and advice. I recognize that it is difficult to ask these sort of questions when i have not put in a significant effort to explore Second Life. If these questions offended any of you, I apologize. My intentions are sincere in getting to know this virtual world, alas, time is against me. I will dedicate myself to exploring what second life has to offer for the next five days, hoping to get a small glimpse of what it can be. Again, thank you all; your comments have been very useful. If any of you guys want to add me as a friend feel free. it would be cool to experience this virtual world with some new friends :).

On 6/16/2018 at 4:02 PM, Rhonda Huntress said:

OK, let me go through this ...

Thank you so much for your response, it was very thorough. Specifically, I find it very interesting when you say, "You can't spend time with other people and not be changed to some extent.  It is not the platform that causes the impact but the people you meet who influence you." I liked this very much, I think I will incorporate some version of this quote into my essay. 

• Like 2

On 6/17/2018 at 10:09 AM, Syo Emerald said:

It sounds like this idea seems to be very foreign and unlikely to you. I'm suprised, if thats the case and wonder why you would consider it to be so strange and rare.

The idea is not foreign to me, increasingly, I know people seek out "virtual communities" and actually do establish genuine connections with other people. I do not find it rare, I just want to know how the relationships people develop in these sort of communities differ from Real World interactions, if they differ at all. I came into SL hoping i could make friends and share experiences with other residents but I have'nt had much luck. 

• 2 months later...

So - gceniceros209 Did you find your answers for your paper? Did you log into SL see all the weird people who log on to SL? and think thank gawd you are not one of us because once this paper is over you are done with SL ? I participated in some College study for some East Coast College, it was an entire class. We were all just psychological studies, they didnt give a damn about how their presence effected SL and those of us that log on. I asked one of them " So what happens to your avi when this is over? will you delete it or just never log back in? Think about it, that is pretty cruel, yeah it happens on a daily basis in SL people vanish and disappear from our virtual reality. But the people you meet whether it be Real Life or Second Life you effect others. Honestly it upsets me that people come in and look at SL residents like they are an experiment or case studies. So after this paper you will probably never log back in, a few weeks to months you will probably be forgotten. How sad you couldnt take the time to REALLY get to know why we continuously log in on a daily basis. It is about making friends, it is about meeting people from ALL OVER The world. It is about Learning, no I am really serious REAL education, Expanding your personal boundaries, learning a new skill. SL is NOT a game and YES we know it is not reality. There some that SL is all they have to be able to get out and feel like they are experiencing life. It is a tool to help the disabled some times, example look up the SIM that has helped Parkinson's patients. Go look at Lavender Fields how that donations go to help School Children in Kenya. SL is Friends, Family, Community. 

On 6/18/2018 at 11:23 PM, gceniceros209 said:

The idea is not foreign to me, increasingly, I know people seek out "virtual communities" and actually do establish genuine connections with other people. I do not find it rare, I just want to know how the relationships people develop in these sort of communities differ from Real World interactions, if they differ at all. I came into SL hoping i could make friends and share experiences with other residents but I have'nt had much luck. 

"I came into SL hoping i could make friends and share experiences with other residents but I have'nt had much luck."

Keep logging in Make the friends, STOP looking at everyone like a case study. Let yourself be a little bit vulnerable. I am willing to bet most of us here on the forum that have taken the time to answer you would friend you WITH the understanding they are not a case study, They will become your friends just like in RL Only you have to log on to see us. When we start to feel comfortable around you we'll let our gaurd down a little and you can get to know us.  

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2019 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.